GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Keiser's Coul Links Project (Embo/Dornoch)

<< < (94/223) > >>

Sean_A:
The recommendation for refusal should come as no surprise.  However, it isn't all that uncommon for members to go against recommendation especially if there isn't much concern about an expensive appeal. 

Ciao

Niall C:

--- Quote from: Brian_Ewen on May 31, 2018, 02:49:28 AM ---But Mr Dargie said next week’s decision will “set a precedent” as to whether or not Scotland’s designated conservation areas are “for sale at any price,” and urged the developer to put forward an “environmentally responsible” course design instead of making councillors choose between jobs, which he argues would be low paid and seasonal, and a sensitive dune habitat.

--- End quote ---

The precedent has already been set at Balmedie, furthermore Trump was urged to use less sensitive land there and refused. The Scottish Government then stepped in to ensure the development got planning. I can't see this being any different even if the local authority planning committee vote against it.

Niall

Marty Bonnar:
Although interestingly Niall, I was wondering if the abject failure to deliver on everything (except the golf course development) at Balmedie will play into the minds of those in power over this proposal.
Time will tell.
F.

Niall C:
FBD

The proposed Embo development is far more modest than was proposed/promised at Balmedie. Balmedie was to be a two course development (second course hasn’t happened), was to include a 500 bed hotel (hasn’t happened) and a large housing development (hasn’t happened).  I’m not sure whether the proposed clubhouse has now been built, it may well have.

In contrast, at Embo the proposal doesn’t include a hotel or any housing. The developers are also claiming a far smaller economic benefit (£60m from memory compared to the £0.5 billion dollars/£0.5 billion pounds/£1 billion dollars/£1 billion pounds depending on which Trump quote you went by).

One of my gripes on the Balmedie development was how little scrutiny appeared to go into the economic claims. Hopefully that’s not the case at Embo but I do wonder if the supposed economic benefit is a best case scenario. Judging by comment from some of our US friends at BUDA over the weekend, they were a bit sceptical whether it would make much difference in encouraging people to stay in the area for longer and whether there would be a spin off for the likes of Brora and Golspie. I have the same doubts.

Niall 

Jon Wiggett:

I would be surprised if the project did not get approval despite the recommended refusal from the planners as this is standard procedure for when one of the statutory bodies has an objection (slight in this case).

I think that what will go against the likes of RSPB and SNH is the fact that they have spent absolutely zero pounds on this SSSI site in the years since it was declared such despite both admitting the scale of degradation it has suffered since then. Both organisations have more than enough finance to do something about this decline and the fact that they haven't to date nor that they have proposed to in the future speaks volumes.

Lets be honest. The RSPB is objecting because it objects to everything that happens in the Scottish countryside unless it is one of their projects. SNH has raised a minor objections about something that is going to happen anyway if the project does not go ahead and Mr. Dargie is the man behind the ecology at Balmedie but who did not get the job at Coul Links but I am sure that has nothing to do with it.

Niall,

the key thing to begin with will be to get some to stay overnight in the Dornoch area even if they do not visit Golspie, Tain, etc.... At the moment most stay in Inverness and make a day trip up. I suspect the other courses will benefit from European and UK golfers who might stay for a longer time on a multi greenfee ticket such as offered in St.Andrews for those wanting access to Dornoch & Coul Links at a reasonable price.

Jon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version