GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Keiser's Coul Links Project (Embo/Dornoch)

<< < (4/223) > >>

Ian Mackenzie:

--- Quote from: Mark Pearce on March 29, 2016, 12:43:38 PM ---Ian,

What has viable industrial growth got to do with the number of existing golf courses in the Moray area?  I'm not sure what point you are making or think Thomas is making.

--- End quote ---

SSSorry, Mark, my answer to Thomas was woefully incomplete as my phone was ringing at work.
My point was that, prior to the 1970's and early 80's following Ben Crenshaw's and Tom Watson's visit to Dornoch, the area was still quite unknown to the "outside world".

And, it's WAY too early to speculate on the viability of the project.

Jon Wiggett:
The potential dangers of this project are twofold in my opinion. Firstly, it could make more courses in the area prohibitively expensive for the local player which would be detrimental to all concerned and I would hope that MK would chose to follow the example set by Castle Stuart in this respect rather than the no peasants attitude of Mr. Trump. Secondly, the fact is that top end Gfs are sustainable largely due to the US golfer and should this market collapse for any reason then some clubs and other businesses based around them may suffer greatly. I hope that HIE (Highland & Islands Enterprises and others so in favour of this project ensure the financial eggs are placed in many baskets not just the one.

However, I am certainly very much in favour of this project and hopes it will get off the ground. As for the winter drainage, if they are sensible and close down in the winter season this will be much less of a problem.

Jon

ps. Ian, Skibo plays no significant part in the golf scene up here. As for what to tell local 16 or 17 year olds well maybe about the many non golfing opportunities there are for employment in the Highlands. I am afraid what you understand is well wide of the mark as the Inverness, Moray and Cromarty Firth areas are very vibrant both economically and culturally. Very few youngsters are flocking to Edinburgh and of those who do many return after a few years.

Jon

Thomas Dai:

--- Quote from: Jon Wiggett on March 29, 2016, 02:41:30 PM ---The potential dangers of this project are twofold in my opinion. Firstly, it could make more courses in the area prohibitively expensive for the local player which would be detrimental to all concerned and I would hope that MK would chose to follow the example set by Castle Stuart in this respect rather than the no peasants attitude of Mr. Trump. Secondly, the fact is that top end Gfs are sustainable largely due to the US golfer and should this market collapse for any reason then some clubs and other businesses based around them may suffer greatly. I hope that HIE (Highland & Islands Enterprises and others so in favour of this project ensure the financial eggs are placed in many baskets not just the one.

--- End quote ---

Ian,

If my earlier comments were confusing then apologies. Jon has however now summed up what I was trying to get at rather nicely.

Lovely part of the world.

Atb

Ian Mackenzie:

--- Quote from: Jon Wiggett on March 29, 2016, 02:41:30 PM ---The potential dangers of this project are twofold in my opinion. Firstly, it could make more courses in the area prohibitively expensive for the local player which would be detrimental to all concerned and I would hope that MK would chose to follow the example set by Castle Stuart in this respect rather than the no peasants attitude of Mr. Trump. Secondly, the fact is that top end Gfs are sustainable largely due to the US golfer and should this market collapse for any reason then some clubs and other businesses based around them may suffer greatly. I hope that HIE (Highland & Islands Enterprises and others so in favour of this project ensure the financial eggs are placed in many baskets not just the one.

However, I am certainly very much in favour of this project and hopes it will get off the ground. As for the winter drainage, if they are sensible and close down in the winter season this will be much less of a problem.

Jon

ps. Ian, Skibo plays no significant part in the golf scene up here. As for what to tell local 16 or 17 year olds well maybe about the many non golfing opportunities there are for employment in the Highlands. I am afraid what you understand is well wide of the mark as the Inverness, Moray and Cromarty Firth areas are very vibrant both economically and culturally. Very few youngsters are flocking to Edinburgh and of those who do many return after a few years.

Jon

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Jon - apologies for the generalizations.
Was speaking only of Dornoch where I have spent time in the past three years.

I believe that Mr. Keiser made a very interesting proposal to RDGC, but it did not gain traction.

Have heard that Trump now offers local memberships.

I would bet that there will be accommodations made to local golfers at Coul Links.

Jon Wiggett:
Ian,

no problems about the generalisation but to suggest that the youth of Dornoch is leaving for Edinburgh is far fetched indeed. That they have to look outside Dornoch is not really a surprise as Dornoch is really quite small. You are indeed correct that Trump does now offer a locals rate and at just £135 I am sure the doric speakers are flocking in to play the world's greatest course as will the incredible bargain rate of £165 for all other Scottish residence.

Jon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version