News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Marshallia will soon be NLE
« on: August 31, 2016, 02:21:44 PM »
I guess I missed my chance to see it. Another Cal course bites the dust.

http://m.keyt.com/news/marshallia-ranch-golf-course-to-cease-operations/41427262
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jim Hoak

Re: Marshallia will soon be NLE
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »
Despite all the talk--on this site and elsewhere--about the issues facing golf--equipment, slow play, cost, etc.--water (cost and availability) is the most serious long-run issue influencing the future of our game.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:06:58 PM »

I wonder why they did not drill a well for the course instead of having to buy water.

Or why didn't they just raise the green fees to pay for the water?

I never played the course because La Purisima is close by and way better. Also near by is Monarch Dunes.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 03:10:10 PM »
Most places in California have restrictions on drilling.  And water costs have gone up over 3x in many areas, making it impossible to raise green fees enough to cover the increase in water cost.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 04:01:06 PM »
My first reaction is to be a little surprised that the AF is subject to local water restrictions/prices.  Maybe that's just for stuff like golf courses.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 04:35:29 PM »
Despite all the talk--on this site and elsewhere--about the issues facing golf--equipment, slow play, cost, etc.--water (cost and availability) is the most serious long-run issue influencing the future of our game.

In certain regions, I am sure you are correct.

Other areas have a surfeit of water. The north-west of England, for example.

The main threat to some clubs here is that their courses are too bloody wet to play on for 9 months of the year!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:37:05 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jon McSweeny

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 05:23:08 PM »

I wonder why they did not drill a well for the course instead of having to buy water.

Or why didn't they just raise the green fees to pay for the water?

I never played the course because La Purisima is close by and way better. Also near by is Monarch Dunes.

In some of the other articles discussing the closure, plans to utilize the base's well water were discussed but the cost for the infrastructure upgrade was too high in the near term.

For the time being, the driving range, practice greens and club house will remain open and they will make efforts to maintain some course playability with what little water they have remaining. I don't think there is any great desire to close the course, there simply isn't enough money in the budget to cover the water needed to maintain a legitimate 18 holes. They had stopped watering everything but the tees and greens- and still couldn't manage the water expense.

I was in that region two weeks ago playing at some of the neighboring courses and there were all sorts of wild rumors flying around about what was going to happen there. Hopefully, one of them will come true

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back