News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

goldj

WAY OT - Golf Courses of Nelson's 1945 Streak
« on: March 23, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »
i fully appreciate that this is way off topic for this board but I'm wondering if anyone knows what courses Nelson played when he had his remarkabke streak in '45. All of my books on Nelson are off in storage and I've been unable to find the answer to this online. I'm also curious as to whether they're all still in existence. Thanks in advance.

Zack Molnar

Re: WAY OT - Golf Courses of Nelson's 1945 Streak
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 02:45:11 PM »
Mr Gold,

Miami International Four-Ball (team tournament)- Miami Springs Golf and Country Club

[/size]Charlotte Open, won by 4 strokes- ??
[/size]Greater Greensboro Open, won by 8 strokes- Starmount Forest CC
[/size]Durham Open, won by 5 strokes-Hope Valley Country Club
[/size]Atlanta Open, won by 9 strokes- ??
[/size]Montreal Open, won by 10 strokes- [/size]Club de golf Islesmere
[/size]Philadelphia Inquirer, won by 2 strokes- Llanerch Country Club
[/size]Chicago Victory National Open, won by 7 strokes - Calumet CC
[/size]PGA Championship (match play) - Moraine CC (OH)
[/size]Tam O'Shanter Open, won by 11 strokes- Tam O'Shanter CC (IL)
[/size]Canadian Open, won by 4 strokes- Thornhill Golf Club
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:50:04 PM by Zack Molnar »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:02:24 PM »
1945 Atlanta Open was held at Capital City CC, Brookhaven course (considering the Crabapple opened in 2002).

https://www.ajga.org/media_center/coverStories/stories.asp?uid=512

1945 Charlotte Open was held at Myers Park. 

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-03-11/sports/sp-41509_1_byron-nelson/2

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 04:03:53 PM »
This is the lamest of all unbreakable records.  Can't wait for the next apocalypse to see some guy go for 12.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 04:45:48 PM »
I'm guessing the argument you're making is that Nelson didn't play against anyone. While the fields may have been weaker, Hogan won 5 times that year and Snead won 6. There was enough top end firepower to make things interesting. In 30 tournaments played Nelson won 18 and only had two finishes outside the top 5 (a 6th and a 9th). Now if the field wasn't good enough, his scoring average sure was. Nelson's scoring average of 68.34 is only bested by Tigers 2000 average of 68.17. That alone is enough to quantify how good of a season it was.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 04:55:50 PM »
I find it ironic that the guy who the most famous robot in the world is named after holds a record that will never be broken because robots will fight the next conflict that was responsible for his record.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 10:46:34 PM »
Did the streak end at Holston Hills?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JMEvensky

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 10:50:05 PM »

Did the streak end at Holston Hills?

Chickasaw CC in Memphis. BN finished 3rd or 4th behind Fred Haas.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 11:12:02 PM »
Thanks JME.  Should have done a little homework.

Nelson then won the Knoxville Invitational at Holston Hills before finishing second in Nashville at Richland Country Club (NLE) behind Hogan who won his first tournament since returning from the war.

Can you confirm that there's little Langford left at Chickasaw?  I know several years ago they were considerating a restoration.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Carl Johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 07:18:40 PM »
Notice that the second win in the series was the Charlotte Open.  It was played in Charlotte at the Myers Park Country Club.  At the first tee at MPCC they have monument and plaque that says this is where the streak began.  So, my question, which goes way into the stratosphere and is totally unrelated to golf course architecture, does a streak begin with first of a series or the second?  MPCC's position is that it begins with the second.  Thanks in advance for your consideration of and responses to this question.

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 07:37:25 PM »
Notice that the second win in the series was the Charlotte Open.  It was played in Charlotte at the Myers Park Country Club.  At the first tee at MPCC they have monument and plaque that says this is where the streak began.  So, my question, which goes way into the stratosphere and is totally unrelated to golf course architecture, does a streak begin with first of a series or the second?  MPCC's position is that it begins with the second.  Thanks in advance for your consideration of and responses to this question.

sure if you want to call it a streak of 10....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Nigel Islam

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 07:38:47 PM »
I didn't realize one of the tournaments was a four ball challenge. I'm not sure that I can rightfully count that in my own mind.  ???

Nigel Islam

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 07:39:42 PM »

Maybe MPCC agrees with me?

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 07:52:15 PM »

Maybe MPCC agrees with me?

yep,I guess it's where he started HIS streak
amazing how a course like Miami Springs isn't even known in Miami
better course than anything at Doral, despite ratty condition, 2 miles away and 1/10 the price
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:54:45 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

James Brown

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 08:03:09 PM »
This is the lamest of all unbreakable records.  Can't wait for the next apocalypse to see some guy go for 12.

This might be one of the most unfounded statements I have ever read on this website. Read your history.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
James,

No Open, US Open or Masters in 45. Demaret alone would have killed the streak if he wasn't killing Nazis. Are there even 11 tournaments between Majors. It's a great record, just the lamest of the ones that will never be broken.

Anyone got Will Forte's number, I've got an episode for him.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back