News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Re: Tom Doak "Retained to Rework" Pennard (Wales) and Woodhall Spa (England)
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2016, 04:40:03 AM »
Great stuff,
I need to have another look soon and rethink my opinion.
Opening the course up should help a lot with what I felt was a lot of sameness on the back.

Jeff

I was at Woodhall Spa last Sunday and was fortunate to have a discussion/tour with Tom about the changes on the whole course and also had a chat with the director of golf as well

There will be quite a lot of tree clearance work over the next few years and what I saw in the difference on hole 7 is astounding it is now a heathland paradise with the trees and gorse on the right being cleared out.

11,12 and 13 are in the process of being 'opened up' and returning to heathland character.

The current bunkers are hard to maintain and to get in. Toms crew are doing subtle changes with view of making it easier to maintain and get in by foot without losing a huge impact of the severity or deepness of the bunkers.

I am excited to see further changes in which I know will vastly improve Woodhall Spa and really bring back the heathland character of the original course and updating it to the modern game.

This is a classic example where you need a vastly experienced golf course architect to enhance, restore and renovate classic courses such as this.

Cheers
Ben

Tom_Doak

« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2016, 05:15:51 AM »
Wow, it's not often one does a long interview like that and they print every word!

A quick shout-out to my crew:  Eric Iverson and Brian Schneider and Angela Moser and Clyde Johnson tinkered with the shapes and faces of 35 bunkers on six holes in 8 1/2 days and made every one of them a bit better looking and/or easier to maintain.  They were also pretty excited to spend time at such a great course; I'm sure it will give them some ideas for whatever new course we build next.

It's the first time any of us have worked on real heathland and we hope it's not the last.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2016, 07:38:44 AM »
Wow, it's not often one does a long interview like that and they print every word!

A quick shout-out to my crew:  Eric Iverson and Brian Schneider and Angela Moser and Clyde Johnson tinkered with the shapes and faces of 35 bunkers on six holes in 8 1/2 days and made every one of them a bit better looking and/or easier to maintain.  They were also pretty excited to spend time at such a great course; I'm sure it will give them some ideas for whatever new course we build next.

It's the first time any of us have worked on real heathland and we hope it's not the last.

Great interview and write up by Dan Murphy who I would read his reports any day. Your guys are doing a great job and hope you can resolve the issue re holes 14 and 15 (which has a safety issue as Viking way runs across in the current landing area for most players plus the 14th green and 15th tee suffer being a wet clayish area which is different to the drier heathland area.

The 6th and 9th green seem to be old fashioned greens which tilt away to get water on the surface off naturally. Could Vardon or Colt been involved in those greens.

The long putts have been easy at Woodhall Spa but the short putts need more extra care as there are hidden subtle breaks

Look forward to seeing more of the work being carried out in the next few years and playing it when it is all done.

By the way you need to call Mike Clayton to bring his chainsaw out :)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2016, 03:39:53 AM »
Woodhall Spa.

WS is somewhere I've not played but would like to. I've heard it has an extremely extensive short game practice area as well. Now with the work highlighted herein there's another reason to visit.
Seems like a very comprehensive interview/article. Fine photos as well. Any chance someone directly involved could post or link to some additional photos.

Pennard.

Any feedback yet on the revised approach to the revetted bunkering?

Atb

Ben Stephens

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2016, 04:17:05 AM »
Woodhall Spa.

WS is somewhere I've not played but would like to. I've heard it has an extremely extensive short game practice area as well. Now with the work highlighted herein there's another reason to visit.
Seems like a very comprehensive interview/article. Fine photos as well. Any chance someone directly involved could post or link to some additional photos.

Pennard.

Any feedback yet on the revised approach to the revetted bunkering?

Atb

The practice area is out of bounds for most of us - it is only used by academy players who pay and England National players.

I would recommend the 9 hole pitch and putt course by the clubhouse longest hole is around 60 yards its great fun though!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back