News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

Teeth of the Dog on TV today thru Jan 17
« on: January 14, 2016, 03:50:26 PM »
I saw the Latin American Amateur was on TV (ESPN2) today at lunch when I was at the gym. Being played at Casa de Campo Teeth of the Dog apparently. I would imagine it will be on at other times this wkend. Check your local/national listings.

PCCraig

Re: Teeth of the Dog on TV today thru Jan 17
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:34:14 PM »
I was watching a bit of this earlier today on ESPN 2. Didn't know the tournament was going on so it was a pleasant surprise to find it randomly. Teeth of the Dog looked great on TV and it was fun watching very good Amateur players playing it.
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 12:50:38 PM »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 08:10:31 AM »
    A couple of years ago, a thread was started which took the position the the Teeth lacked interest because all one could do after missing a green was to flop it back on.  I hope last week's telecast answered that incorrect observation.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:23:35 PM »
Perhaps the course conditioning was improved since then.

Those fellows sure bumped the tar out of their chips.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »
    A couple of years ago, a thread was started which took the position the the Teeth lacked interest because all one could do after missing a green was to flop it back on.  I hope last week's telecast answered that incorrect observation.

Jim, You can defend it until the end of time but on the day I played the heights of cut were about as conducive to bump & runs and putting as would  be a foot of powdery snow. That conditions have changed for the better is wonderful but you can stop your assertion that I was wrong, didn't understand the options presented to me or just don't understand the game. Thank you.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 09:24:02 PM »
   The course may have been dressed up a bit last week for tournament play (as are all courses), but the basic condition was the same as always.  Fairways last week were where they always are; the roughs were kept in the same places they are always kept.  As someone who plays there 50 times a year, and who is here now, I can tell you that those are the facts.  The course you saw on TV is the course I am lucky enough to play on a daily basis.  I hope you all get a chance to see for yourselves.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 09:46:28 PM »
Hi Jim, I wish I was lucky enough to play there 50 times/year. I wish we got that event telecast down here in Oz, as well - it would have brought back some nice memories. I had not been to CDC for 20 years +/- until we spent 4 or 5 days there in November just gone. We had a group of 16 pretty enthusiastic, experienced golf travelers & I am sad to report that the group's consensus rating on course conditions at TOTD (& the other resort courses) was not high. Everyone loved the resort & enjoyed the courses (esp Dye Fore, for some reason!?!) but , in general, the course was "shaggy". This is especially so of the green surrounds....so I certainly do not think that many of our group were bump'n'running it that week. Maybe it was an abherration but that's how we found things on our most recent visit.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 10:54:50 PM »
   Sorry to hear that.  Admittedly I am biased, but I have always been quite proud of the condition in which this resort course is kept.  I suppose it has its good days and bad (as do we all), but most people with whom I play are impressed both by the design and the condition. 

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 08:29:41 AM »
Delighted to see TOTD get it due, but even more excited for everyone to see Dye Fore - there are several moments on that course that feel like NGLA - like the hundred yard size geometric  bunkers early on the front side.  Seaside setting on one side, river on the other, and a wild WILD! finishing hole. Great stuff, really fun.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Matt Kardash

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 06:43:12 PM »
Jim,

What is the third 18 like? I've never been to Dye Fore and have only seen it in photos and on Google Earth. From photos and google earth it appears that the the 9 hole loop that runs high on the bluffs of the river is the most interesting, followed by the 9 that weaves its way thru the homes and down near the rivers bottom.
However, the new nine looks very odd from Google maps. It looks way over bunkered. It looks like Dye was out of ideas and just put little strip bunkers everywhere. Is that the case? Based on the artificial lakes I am guessing this is the flatest section of the Dye Fore property?
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 08:17:49 AM »
    I assume by "the new 18," you mean the last 18 holes built.  One of the nines is a third nine for Dye Fore; the other a third nine for La Romana Country Club.  The Dye Fore nine is built inland from the river; the LRCC nine is built next to # 6 at Dye Fore and runs west from there.
    I'm not sure how to describe them.  Neither has stunning natural beauty, like the Teeth and Dye Fore.  They have big fairways and interesting green complexes - typical Dye.  There's water on the Dye Fore nine; none on the LRCC nine.  (The two par three's on the Dye Fore nine have water tight to the greens - #2 on the left, #7 on the right.)  They are not nearly as popular as the other three courses (including the Links), and don't get much play.  But most "third nines" don't get much play.  I don't know what Doak would give them, but I'd say a 5.  (I'd give Teeth a 10; Dye Fore a 7; and Links a 5).  Not sure what else to say.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 04:42:08 PM »
Oopps, I meant to say the third 9! The most recent 9 holes. Is it part of Dye Fore? i thought it was.
This is the 9 in question.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@18.4346702,-68.8977182,904m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:45:55 PM by matt kardash »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 06:02:01 PM »
   Yes, that's the Dye Fore third nine.  I like it, but I'm not sure many agree with me.  It's quite windy, and pretty tough, at least for me.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 06:37:28 PM »
The other Dye Fore nine's seem way more interesting to me. 4 greens hard against an artificial lake seems pretty passé and unnecessary...especially both par 3's.
I acknowledge that I am judging this by Google Earth, so I might be totally wrong.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 09:11:33 PM »
Agree.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back