News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Re: New Rankings of GB Courses by "Value for Money"
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2016, 10:01:37 AM »
Some of these courses are only average and very expensive (Bovey Castle) wtf is the list about. Bovey Castle must be getting close to the worse value course in the country at £70 not in the best 150? Ladybank at 2 says it all really. Far better would be a top 100 under £40. More Stinchcombe's, Kington's and Painswick's. There are plenty of them around.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:45 AM »
Some of these courses are only average and very expensive (Bovey Castle) wtf is the list about. Bovey Castle must be getting close to the worse value course in the country at £70 not in the best 150? Ladybank at 2 says it all really. Far better would be a top 100 under £40. More Stinchcombe's, Kington's and Painswick's. There are plenty of them around.

Absolutely.

If you look closely at the map that's part of the most recent article, some of the courses on the list don't appear on the map. Says a bit about overall care and credibility IMO.

Atb

Sean_A

Re: New Rankings of GB Courses by "Value for Money" New
« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2016, 07:57:36 AM »
Adrian

I do agree that the fees are too high for some of the courses to be considered good value, but a lot of the courses are good. Coventry and Copt Heath are the only ones I know on that list I would say are average.  That said, the conditioning of those courses is outstanding.  In my experience, these two blow away most of the high end courses I know in the UK...proving that good maintenance is down to club culture as much as money. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 06:31:19 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2016, 01:43:37 PM »
Sean,

an interesting point you raise with which I agree. It shows up a common misconception that quality and VFM are linked. In my experience most of the courses that are really good value for money tend to be at the lower end in the conditioning stakes quality wise though greens should be true rolling at least. What I would say about conditioning is that it is important to play a course a few times at different times of the year and over a few years before saying it is in good condition as many inland UK courses have peaks and troughs throughout the year.

Jon

Jon

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #154 on: January 18, 2016, 02:15:22 PM »
Adrian

I do agree that the fees are too high for some of the courses to be considered good value, but a lot of the courses are good.  Coventry and Copt Heath are the only one I know on that list I would say are average.  That said, the conditioning of that courses is outstanding...same for Coventry.  In my experience, these two blow away most of the high end courses I know in the UK...proving that good maintenance is down to club culture as much as money. 

Ciao
What Bovey Castle...good? Those last 6 or 7 holes must be about as bad as it get's. They wanted to change them years ago. Few pretty holes on the front nine but a minger to start with.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2016, 04:14:35 PM »
Adrian

I have not seen the "new" Bovey so can't comment.  The old version was short on space, but had some good holes using water...and...wait for it...trees....very well. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back