News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

Re: Longaberger GC - For Sale
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 10:18:28 PM »
Longaberger isn't my favorite course in central Ohio, but it is located on a great piece of land. I think it's a fun course with some good holes (#8 in particular). But with the terrain, elevation and vistas, it would have been so much better had a Doak or C&C or DeVries been given free reign to build a course out there.

I do hope that it remains open because there's nothing else like it in this area...until someone gets one of those architects to come in and do a project in Ohio.
Brian,

I have never played Longaberger and only know a few people that have. None ever told me it was worth the drive from Cleveland to see it.

It's a matter of personal preference. When I was living in Columbus, I drove over to play Longaberger several times and enjoyed it.

I stand by my original post that it's a fun course on a really good property, but it's not all it could be. It's not exactly walkable either.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »
You could make a case that it's worth the detour if you're coming from Cleveland to Columbus and want to stop for golf on the way. The drive time from Cincinnati is almost identical to the drive time from Cleveland, and I definitely wouldn't make a trip just to play it myself. If I lived in Columbus I might feel different.

I agree with Brian about it being a missed opportunity. It's a beautiful piece of land with some fun holes, but definitely held back by a: lack of walkability, recurring reverse strategy, bunkers that appear feeble next to their surroundings, and of course, the Hills trademark tree in the middle of a fairway.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

JLahrman

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 12:04:12 PM »
What is the best public/resort course that has a pretentious name in the form of "The Something". Bonus points for "The Something at Somewhere".

MCirba

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 12:12:04 PM »
JLahrman,

Is that a trick question?  ;)

Usually I've found that the more syllables in a course name, multiplied by the pretentiousness of the name, indicates the cringe worthiness of the course.

For instance, I give you "The Country Club of the Poconos at Big Ridge".   

In this particular case, each syllable represents one mile from the first tee to the 18th green.   Yes, there are 12 of them.

These type of courses also tend to come with their own set of particular accouterments.  http://www.poconorecord.com/article/20070617/News/706170357
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:14:33 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

JLahrman

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 12:20:44 PM »
That is a mouthful.

There are really two competitions here.

1. What is the best (meaning worst) name?

2. What course is best able to overcome its name from an architectural perspective?

Matt Dawson

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 12:51:50 PM »
"The Challenge at Manele" always makes me smile. It's a golf course, not a calculus problem...

I haven't seen it apart from on Shell WWOG Arnie vs Gary match. It looked pretty good so maybe a candidate for 1) and 2)?

John McCarthy

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »
That logo looks like it should be tattooed on a Juggalo's thigh.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back