News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Michael Whitaker

Re: The Best Par-3 In Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:23:22 PM »
Fun article!

Maybe I can talk our group into visiting Hopeman on our way from the Highlands following the Buda. We are traveling to Fraserburgh on the Friday following the Buda, so with an early start we could pop in and have a look.

Maybe.  :-\
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 02:43:30 PM »
Mike -

There are a lot of worthwhile courses on the Moray coastline between Nairn and Fraserburgh. For starters there are Moray Old, Duff House Royal & Cullen.

DT   

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 04:32:00 PM »
Mike -

There are a lot of worthwhile courses on the Moray coastline between Nairn and Fraserburgh. For starters there are Moray Old, Duff House Royal & Cullen.

DT
Yes! I've visited all of those except Cullen. Maybe a stop there for a bowl of Skink is in order!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »
What? Nary a mention of Redan?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Stan Dodd

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 05:53:27 PM »
Played Cullen in a wee 3 club breeze...it is goofy golf.  Drive straight to Fraserburgh IMHO.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 10:15:55 PM »
Played Cullen in a wee 3 club breeze...it is goofy golf.  Drive straight to Fraserburgh IMHO.

Cullen is one of a kind.  Don't drive past it, IMNSHO.

And the skink at the Cullen Bay Hotel is excellent !

Stan Dodd

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 04:53:38 AM »
That's me told!! ;D

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 06:47:40 AM »
Amazing - I woke up this morning thinking of a thread for GCA on Scotlands best par 3's eg. best set, best single par 3, best long one, short etc. and then I read this thread from DT. From my personal list of par 3's this one would get an honourable mention at best. And I say that having played it a number of times and having birdied a couple of times also including lipping out with my tee shot. Happy memories.

It is a fairly spectacular hole but having played it once when all the gorse at the back had been burnt to a cinder in a fire, you soon realise it is all about the view. The course itself is as George Pepper describes and is another example of a course which was better as a nine-holer. For architect buffs there isn't much to see other than the next hole having a drive over a series of chocolate drop mounds.

Mike - if you are travelling along the Moray coast to Fraserburgh, it wouldn't be the course I'd pick to stop off at even allowing for the fact you've already seen Nairn, Moray and Duff House Royal. I'd even be tempted to move slightly inland to Forres and especially Elgin. Both have a bit of a heathland feel.

If time is off the essence and you don't want to go too far off track I'd suggest the nine-holer at Covesea, just west of Moray GC. It will give you the same playing over sea stacks experience as Cullen and also has a fantastic short par 3 to a saddle green. Now that hole definitely would make my best of list.

Niall   

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 07:53:43 AM »
Check out this video of Covesea:

https://youtu.be/CFPegZD4C00

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 09:50:27 AM »
Check out this video of Covesea:

https://youtu.be/CFPegZD4C00

Too bad Duffus near there doesn't have a course. That would be a good place for Whitty to play. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 01:02:21 PM »
Cullen is one of a kind.  Don't drive past it, IMNSHO.
And the skink at the Cullen Bay Hotel is excellent !

Cullen Skink, now your talking!
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back