News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Justin VanLanduit

Re: Canal Shores Inspirations
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 07:18:35 AM »
Jason,
Been following this little project here as well as your blog and twitter.  If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.  Come spring when things kick up I'd like to help out from time to time if possible.  I serve on the board of Midwest Golf Course Superintendents as well and this is a project that could peak the interest of our association.  Our Assistant members usually do a volunteer project each year, I'd be happy to bring this to the table and see if they'd be willing to do a weekend of volunteer work or so to help with some in depth projects.  Best of luck with everything and I look forward to helping in some way; can easily be reached at justinv@briarwoodcountryclub.com

Justin

Jason Way

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 07:39:16 AM »
Thank you for your support Justin.  We would happily accept that volunteer assistance.  In the spring, the Master Plan for the golf will be all but finalized (there is a large additional layer of wildlife habitat enhancement that will take a bit longer to sort through).  At that point, new projects will be focused on prepping the site for the renovation to come.  I have a few project ideas that would be perfect for your group.

Looking forward to seeing you out on the Shores.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jason Way

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 07:51:40 AM »
And just for fun, here's a picture of the bunker that volunteer Axel Ochoa (who is a budding, young GCA geek) and I knocked out yesterday morning.  The area where Axel is shaping with the rake used to all be bunker, and it was ugly and boring.  So we reduced the footprint and gave it more character.  Fun stuff.

By the time the snow hits, I am already going to be in fine shoveling shape...
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

PCCraig

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 10:41:16 AM »
Jason,

It amazes me that you guys are getting as much done as you are.

How deep is that Eden bunker going to be? How wide is it? Just curious.

Is there any consideration for keeping bunker styles consistent? Seems like your most recent bunker and the Eden bunker are pretty different. Will there be any consistency in the bunkers as part of the master plan?

I have a lot of fond memories of the old Jans having grown up just north of there. I used to caddy for my old boss in the Pro tournament they used to hold there every year. They used to be able to make the course pretty tough by using all of the back tees...it wasn't easy hitting a 3-iron at a tiny green the size of a car hood with a Tour Prestige 90!
H.P.S.

Jason Way

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 11:27:25 AM »

I have a lot of fond memories of the old Jans having grown up just north of there. I used to caddy for my old boss in the Pro tournament they used to hold there every year. They used to be able to make the course pretty tough by using all of the back tees...it wasn't easy hitting a 3-iron at a tiny green the size of a car hood with a Tour Prestige 90!

That is classic.  I love hearing all of the memories that people have of Peter Jans over the years.

With regard to the bunker work we are doing on the existing course, I would break it down like this:

* Our immediate goal is to remove every bunker that doesn't add high value to the existing layout.  We are adding a small number of new bunkers, but the total number on the course is still going to net down by quite a bit.

* The bunkers we keep are generally being made smaller, and easier to maintain.

* The general style of the bunkers is already rugged, so we are keeping that look for the most part for now.  Around the course, many of the bunkers have edges that are caving in in cool ways, and we are leaving those edges as is.  It is hard to tell from the last picture I posted, but much of the top lip of that bunker was already like that.  I just cleared away a little debris and extended it outward at each end.

* The course currently has a handful of bunkers that are more geomteric/ditch style.  They are quirky, and we kind of like them, so even though there is a bit of a style clash, we are keeping them.

Specifically regarding the Eden bunker, we decided to do that one for a few reasons:

1.  The roots of the tree behind the green needed to be cut, so our Super was going to be trenching back there anyway. 
2.  We needed the grass to sod over another greenside bunker that we filled in.
3.  It's just fun to play around and try stuff.

That bunker spans the entire width of the green.  I am not exactly sure what the dimensions are.  It will not be terribly deep (less than 3 feet) from the sand to the green above.  We are caving in a berm and 2 ugly-ass bunkers behind the green and turning that into a tall grass area that gently falls right into the back of the Eden bunker.  Again, a melding of styles, but we think it might work.  I will post photos when we are done, and next spring when it all grows in.

The bunker style of the new Jans Course will ultimately be up to Dave Zinkand.  He is still collecting sources of inspiration, so feel free to share your thoughts and pictures here, especially from Golden Era Chicago sources. 

More to come on that subject soon...

Jason Way

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 11:44:16 AM »
Here is an example of the edges of our existing greenside bunkers.  I took this photo over the summer.

I think it looks cool, and it just the result of having almost no budget and staff for maintenance over many years.  When Dave Axland came out to walk the course this year, we stopped and talked about this one in particular.  Much effort by talented people goes into making bunkers look like this nowadays - a viable alternative is to just be broke for 10 years!

Now that we have an experienced Super, we are choosing not to repair these edges even though we can (unless they become a real issue) because we all dig the way they look.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:45:50 AM by Jason Way »

PCCraig

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 12:03:36 PM »
Here is an example of the edges of our existing greenside bunkers.  I took this photo over the summer.

I think it looks cool, and it just the result of having almost no budget and staff for maintenance over many years.  When Dave Axland came out to walk the course this year, we stopped and talked about this one in particular.  Much effort by talented people goes into making bunkers look like this nowadays - a viable alternative is to just be broke for 10 years!

Now that we have an experienced Super, we are choosing not to repair these edges even though we can (unless they become a real issue) because we all dig the way they look.

Huh - that's neat Jason. I like how the bunker edge above looks as well.

Are you guys working to expand the old putting surfaces at all? If I remember correctly most of the greens were really tiny. So I'm guessing (without having been there in a long time), that those surfaces have shrunk considerably over time?
H.P.S.

Jason Way

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 12:43:31 PM »
You are correct.  The greens are mostly quite small to begin with, and they have shrunk over time.  We started extending the collars out to the edges of the green pads this fall and will continue to do so next year.  The grass in those collars is a mixed bag, so I don't know how much actual green surface we will add, but there will be more puttable area. 

Given the planned timeline of the renovation, it probably won't make too much sense to go to the trouble of adding more new green surface beyond that which we can capture through more attention to detail in mowing.  By the time the greens would be getting really good, we will be blowing them up.

Jason Way

Re: Chicago GCA Gathering 12/5 - Canal Shores Inspirations
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2015, 12:29:48 PM »

The falling snow screwed up our bunker work day today, but our spirits will not be dampened.  An update for you:

Pat and I will be hosting a gathering for GCAers and other golf geeks at Canal Shores on Saturday 12/5.  Food, drink, camaraderie and a brief presentation by Dave Zinkand on his inspirations for the New Canal Shores. 

We are grateful for all of the support we have received from this community.  I hope that you all can make it so that I can thank you personally.

More details on the event are available here:

http://geekedongolf.com/golf-geeks-gathering/

Jason Way

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2015, 08:14:24 PM »
If I have your email, you likely got an Evite by now.  It is possible to RSVP without receiving the Evite by just going here:

http://evite.me/rknybD1DdX

Or, you can just reply here and I will keep track as some folks are already responding to me via email and text.  Hope to see you all there.

John McCarthy

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 06:52:34 PM »
I rsvp'd.  This is exactly the project that should be done.

Pat was my coach for a few weeks on during the Freakonomics golf thing a few years back.  A few group lessons improved my putting a ton.

He has to have an iron stomach to look at my golf swing.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

SL_Solow

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 09:37:37 AM »
See you there

Jud_T

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this adventure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRrjFjJ9fI

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Way

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 12:38:31 PM »
Looking forward to seeing you there fellas - thanks for the replies.  I know that we have plenty of the Chicago crew lurking around here, and I hope to see you all there too.

Should be a fun get-together.

Jason Way

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2015, 07:30:52 PM »
The following are confirmed yes, I think:

Shel Solow
David Schmidt
Mike Kennedy
Peter Korbakes
Chuck James
John McCarthy
Jud Tigerman
Bill Faley
Mark Smolens

Looking forward to seeing you all there on the 5th.  Anyone else free that afternoon?  It would be great to have as many GCAers as possible there (along with our other factions).

Jason Way

Re: Canal Shores Inspirations - Updated Preliminary Design
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 12:33:16 AM »
We are progressing in our planning, and preparing for some publicity on the project that will hit next week. 

Todd Quitno is compiling the different design elements of the project as they are hashed out, and he provided me with the updated preliminary design today. 

I though y'all might find it interesting because it gives a much better sense of how embedded into the community Canal Shores is.  It also illustrates the non-golf aspects of the project - parks & trails, and habitat enhancements - that are also in the works. 

Those of you who are making it out to the event on Saturday will get an update from Dave Zinkand on his design inspirations.  Not exactly sure what that will entail, but I'm looking forward to it.  As always, feel free to share your questions, feedback, and ideas. 

PCCraig

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 09:38:33 AM »
Looks great, Jason. If I were still in Chicago I would certainly be in attendance at your event with Dave Zinkland.

Say hello to Pat Goss for me. When I was in high school I used to go to his NU Golf Camp every Feb/March and see him around a bunch when he was following his golf team at practice. Later I was fairly involved with the First Tee there where he used (don't know if he still is for sure) to be on the Board. 
H.P.S.

Jason Way

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 11:04:30 AM »
Looks great, Jason. If I were still in Chicago I would certainly be in attendance at your event with Dave Zinkland.

Say hello to Pat Goss for me. When I was in high school I used to go to his NU Golf Camp every Feb/March and see him around a bunch when he was following his golf team at practice. Later I was fairly involved with the First Tee there where he used (don't know if he still is for sure) to be on the Board.

Thank you sir, and will do.  Pat is still very much involved with the First Tee, as is Luke Donald.  We hope that FToGC makes the new Canal Shores their home in the north suburbs.

PCCraig

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 11:25:25 AM »

Thank you sir, and will do.  Pat is still very much involved with the First Tee, as is Luke Donald.  We hope that FToGC makes the new Canal Shores their home in the north suburbs.

Great to hear, and good luck with the presentation!
H.P.S.

Jason Way

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 07:00:55 PM »
One more nugget from yesterday: We had a nice visit with Steve Smyers at the course. The USGA was out to interview him (and us) about the project. 

It was fun to hear him trade college golf stories with Pat.

When the video comes out next week, I will post a link.

Phil McDade

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 07:48:04 AM »
The following are confirmed yes, I think:

Shel Solow
David Schmidt
Mike Kennedy
Peter Korbakes
Chuck James
John McCarthy
Jud Tigerman
Bill Faley
Mark Smolens

Looking forward to seeing you all there on the 5th.  Anyone else free that afternoon?  It would be great to have as many GCAers as possible there (along with our other factions).

Brief sidebar (hoping not to detract from the main event):

Good fortune has smiled on my schedule, so another member of the world's most exclusive golf club will be able to make this event Saturday. As such, I'll be taking orders during the next couple of days from the world's best micro-brewery (http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/) for beer-starved Chicago residents. Six-packs run $8; seeing as this is a GCA-oriented event, and a charitable one to boot serving a good cause, I will waive my usual carrying fee for south-of-the-border deliveries. ;D

Send requests to: pjmcdade83@gmail.com

Cheers!

Dan Moore

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 07:49:33 AM »
I'll be there. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Mark Smolens

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 02:13:35 PM »
McDade is coming to Evanston  :o Alert all faux lamp posts to beware...

Jason Kang

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2015, 02:38:48 PM »
In addition to the event highlighting a significant community project for Evanston and providing a potential model for other municipalities, one can never go wrong with catering from Bluestone!  Golf-friendly spot with great food, right down the street from Canal Shores.   

Buck Wolter

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
Word is there is strong support for this project from the most important constituents

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back