News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Way

Some of you know that Pat Goss and I have been working on a project to renovate and transform Canal Shores (formerly Peter Jans).  Many thanks to those who have helped, including you GCAers.  We are now into a formal Master Planning process and the project is progressing quite quickly.  (For more on our progress to date, I have a series of posts on my blog under Journey Along the Shores -> http://GeekedOnGolf.com) 

The idea that Pat and I had for Canal Shores is called the 4 Course Concept:
1.  The Rolling Green - An all-ages putting course
2.  The Kids Links - A short course and youth learning area
3.  The Back Lot - A multi-directional training area
4.  The Jans Course - An executive course for intermediate to advanced skill levels

We recruited Dave Zinkand to be our Lead Architect.  Drew Rogers and Luke Donald are serving as Design Consultants, and Todd Quitno is our Project Manager.

The rendering below illustrates how the 4 courses will lay out on this unique property (a revision is in the works, but I'm not quite ready to show that yet).

Why am I sharing this here?  Two reasons:

First, our idea for the Jans Course is to have greens, bunkers and ground features that are inspired by the best of Chicago's Golden Era architecture.  Not replicas.  We want to tap those sources of inspiration to create something special for the community and those who make the trip to visit.  That is why I started the previous thread on Chicago's best greens. 

If you look at the notes on the left of the rendering, you will see the preliminary list of "inspirations" we intend to use.  This list is not final though, so we are open to your submissions.  Check out the map section labeled "12 Hole Course" and fire away with any greens, bunkers, or features that you love from Chicago's Golden Era courses (you can view a larger version of the map on most recent JATS post on my blog)  As always, photos are welcome.

Second, our plan is to unveil the final design inspirations at an event to be held at Canal Shores in December.  Details to come on that.

Again, thanks to all of you who have supported Pat's and my crazy dream.  It appears that it just might become a reality.  Stay tuned...

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:29:27 AM by Jason Way »
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jon Cavalier

Re: Canal Shores Inspirations
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 10:28:49 PM »
Thank you for this sharing, Jason. That is an incredibly cool looking layout and a very interesting project.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Mark Sider

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 10:48:36 PM »
Innovative! I like it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 11:41:35 PM »
Can it play in reverse?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jason Way

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »
Can it play in reverse?

The Jans Course does not play in reverse for the general public, however, special considerations might be given to the Honourable Company of Reverse Jans Golfers...

The Back Lot is designed to play in multiple directions by skilled players (such as the NU golf teams), and will double as a 6 hole short course for the public.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jason Way

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 09:12:45 AM »
I see that the descriptions are hard to read, so I blew up that portion of the map.

A few notes on the descriptions:
1.  The yardages aren't accurate, although they do provide an idea of the ranges the holes fit into.  There will be 4 par-3s with yardages between 90 and 120 yards.  There will be 2 par-3s with yardages between 130 and 160.  There will be 2 par-3s with yardages between 170 and 200.  There will be 4 par-4s with yardages between 280 and 320.

2.  The inspirations we are considering currently are not exactly the same as those on the list, as the previous Chicago greens thread provided some really good ideas.  We are also very keen to discover more non-sand hazard inspirations from Chicago (a la the fairway mounds on #12 at Old Elm) to incorporate.

So, those of you who know Golden Era Chicago architecture, whatchagot?

JJShanley

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 09:49:23 AM »
JJS sr. and I look forward to it in April next year!

Buck Wolter

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 09:36:42 AM »
Bumping this as opposed to most of the navel gazing that goes on here, this is a real project with real impact to the community --and is pretty cool from an architectural standpoint.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jason Way

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 10:56:49 AM »
Thanks Buck.  Appreciate the support.

I have already received some private messages, which I also appreciate.

Here is a link to the old thread on Chicago's greens:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61721.0.html

This thread was really helpful and gave Dave plenty of food for thought.  He has asked me to toss as many other inspiration sources into his mental blender as possible.  We'll see what comes out when he starts building features and greens.

So, if you think there is something (a green, a bunker, a ground feature) that you think we should see, let me know.  We have some good Colt, Ross, Macdonald, Raynor, Langford & Moreau, Park, and others around town and we want to take it all into account before the design is finalized.  You never know where that one brilliant idea might come from...

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 11:27:37 AM »
Jason,

Interesting stuff. I hope you and Dave get to build it someday.

But I'm curious how you're planning on paying for all of this work?
H.P.S.

Jason Way

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
We have been working on grants from several organizations that support projects like this that are focused on youth golf and community green space.  We also have sponsorship arrangements in the works with groups that intend to base themselves at the new facility.  I'm not quite at liberty to share details on either of those fronts just yet.

The balance will be done through private fundraising.  Canal Shores is a community golf course (not municipal or private) that is managed by a non-profit association.  Because this is neither a private nor a public/government facility, we are able to attract donors that other projects might not.  Nobody is lining their pockets on this, which has a certain appeal.

Our price tag for the renovation is also likely to be significantly lower as we are receiving generous support from people and companies within the game.  They realize that we have an opportunity to make a positive impact, and we have been very fortunate in how many folks "get it" and are stepping up.

There is a tremendous amount of work that we have to do on the fundraising front, but so far, so good.  More to come...

Jason Way

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »
Just to give everyone an idea of the kind of vibe that permeates this project:  While we are working on the Master Planning and fundraising, we are also bootstrapping improvements to the existing course.  Given that the renovation might take several years to complete, we want to keep upgrading the course for the benefit of our current members and visitors.

Plenty of cleanup, turf improvement, brush and tree clearing, etc.

Yesterday, I was joined by a member of our Board, Pat Goss, and fellow GCAer Peter Korbakes to rebuild a bunker that was in a state of disrepair.  This is one small (but also huge to me) example of the support that we are getting.

I know that the game has its issues (and plenty of asshats), but my experience in working on this project thus far has been an overwhelming show of support and assistance from very high quality people. 

The momentum builds...

JReese

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »
Is there a tentative time frame when you think the course will completed?  Great concept and hope to see the finished project in the near future.

"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Jason Way

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 12:32:37 PM »
Is there a tentative time frame when you think the course will completed?  Great concept and hope to see the finished project in the near future.

Thank you sir.

Based on several factors, not least among them the segregated nature of the property, we are planning on a phased approach.  The current timeline is for 3 phases to be completed in 2018, with a 100th anniversary celebration in 2019 (best we can figure, the course was officially opened in something close to its current form in 1919).

Mark Smolens

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 12:56:11 PM »
Jason,

How does football parking impact your project? I know that when the Governs were running the place they depended heavily upon the income from the parking but there were issues with cars tearing up the course.

With some notice, I'd be more than happy to offer grunt labor for the type of work you guys did yesterday. Canal Shores and the Reverse Jans have created some of my favorite golf memories (I played behind Lumpy Herron the year he won the Evanston-Wilmette Open. . . he only beat me by about 30 shots!).

Jason Way

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 01:09:47 PM »
Jason,

How does football parking impact your project? I know that when the Governs were running the place they depended heavily upon the income from the parking but there were issues with cars tearing up the course.

With some notice, I'd be more than happy to offer grunt labor for the type of work you guys did yesterday. Canal Shores and the Reverse Jans have created some of my favorite golf memories (I played behind Lumpy Herron the year he won the Evanston-Wilmette Open. . . he only beat me by about 30 shots!).

Great one, Mark!  Not often that we get a Lumpy Herron reference around here.

The parking and tailgating are an interesting topic of discussion.  Although there are drawbacks, the general consensus right now is that we will incorporate that activity into the plan (which will impact design somewhat, but not that much).  The community really enjoys it, and the revenue from it is good.

One of the fun challenges we have is incorporating the multi-use aspect into the design.  The community wants to be able to use the facility for more than golf, and we feel that that element gives Canal Shores more of a Scottish spirit, which we like. 

Thanks for offering your grunt work.  We'll take all of the help we can get.  I posted on my blog about fall-spring projects, with volunteer dates:

http://geekedongolf.com/2015/10/10/journey-along-the-shores-part-10-off-season-projects/

The blog doesn't say this, but we will be out on 11/21 for bunker work specifically.  I am also usually there from 2:30ish until dark on Tuesdays, unless I am on the road for work.  Anyone here who is interested in pitching in can email me at jwizay1493@hotmail.com, or just show up.  Pat and the Northwestern golf team will be out on 11/15 doing tree and brush removal, so that day should be a big party.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »
Architecture information plaques at each hole to explain GCA concepts?  If it get's slow they'll have something to read and discuss.

Jason Way

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 02:50:48 PM »
Architecture information plaques at each hole to explain GCA concepts?  If it get's slow they'll have something to read and discuss.

That is a cool idea Pete.  Thanks.  It was also my intention to do a simple booklet, a la Crystal Downs that explains the strategy and architecture.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 05:15:01 PM »
Yesterday, I was joined by a member of our Board, Pat Goss, and fellow GCAer Peter Korbakes to rebuild a bunker that was in a state of disrepair.  This is one small (but also huge to me) example of the support that we are getting.

I think you need to focus on getting someone to loan you a  mini-excavator.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jason Way

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 05:37:20 PM »
I feel you on that one Buck, and fortunately, I have a line on one.  We shall see...

Side note, and generally speaking, Superintendents are a really solid group of dudes.  The Supers in the area have supported this project in phenomenal ways.

Paul OConnor

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 05:37:33 PM »
I was thinking that the proposed location of the putting course is in perhaps the least sunny area of the entire property.  As I recall, there are a lot of trees on the canal's shore, east of the proposed green, and west are both apartment buildings, some houses, and lots of big trees.  With the way the canal angles at that spot, it would be pretty late in the morning before direct sun got to that green, I would guess that without a huge amount of trimming, the circulation in this area would always be problematic too.

I think that someplace over on the east side of the canal would be a better spot for this big green.  More light, better circulation, and more visible to the public walking by or up on the Central Street L station.  Watching people of all ages putting all over a big green like that would certainly create some buzz around the area. 

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »
This just looks simply fantastic. Best of luck to you, Jason!

Paul Gray

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 07:36:52 PM »
This just looks simply fantastic. Best of luck to you, Jason!

+1

Seems to be an undaunted passion to the whole project which is what the game needs more of.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jason Way

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 10:57:51 PM »
Thank you for the kind words gents, and great catch Paul O.  We have already decided (for the exact reasons you described) to move the rolling green across Lincoln into a more open and sunnier area adjacent to Leahy Park.  This will give lots of exposure to kids and families, and it will allow us to light the putting course at night during the summer, as the park tennis courts are already open for night play. 

Should be a fun scene out there...

Stay tuned, I have announcements coming shortly.

Jason Way

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 11:19:56 PM »
Just wanted to add a quick shout out to the Northwestern golf teams and coaches who came out to volunteer on brush and invasive tree removal last weekend.  We continue to make progress on uncovering the best trees we have, and getting rid of everything else.

We're also getting help on the next round of bunker tweaking.  Some getting filled in, others getting rebuilt, one or two being added.  Until we can renovate the course completely, we want to keep improving the beauty and experience for our players.  Got a crew of friends and fellow GCAers pitching in, and Brian Palmer (the Super at Shoreacres) is volunteering his time and a mini-x (hallelujah!).

The support we are getting for this project continues to amaze me.  I spend a lot of time saying "thank you" and still can't keep up.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:21:28 PM by Jason Way »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back