News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Transition hole: Fill in the Blank, if you would...
« on: November 06, 2015, 07:57:24 PM »
Hiya,

I'm in the middle of writing something about this topic and it occurred to me I might not have the best operating definition in mind.

If you have a moment to respond, can you (in one or two sentences) finish this statement:

A transition hole is one that_____________________...

?

thank you for looking.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Kyle Harris

Re: Transition hole: Fill in the Blank, if you would...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 08:22:53 PM »
moves, with golf, from one Point A to another Point A.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 07:56:02 AM »
VK -

Obviously there are many ways to fill in your blank. One way is that transition holes "get you from one level of the course to another".

The 5th at PV is an example. It gets you from a lower level of the course to a higher level. It is an iconic hole that stands on its own. But it also serves as a transition hole in the course's routing. The downhill 14th takes you back down from the upper level to the clubhouse level.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:20:37 AM by BCrosby »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 10:19:27 AM »
....gets you from one part of the property to another, hopefully seamlessly.   The best examples I can think of are the four par 5s at Friars Head. 

Carl Rogers

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »
.......... if not seamlessly at least not negatively, so the quality of end result does not go down.
How would one rank Hole 12 at Pacific Dunes as a transition-connector hole?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »
I have three possible answers:

Eats up lesser land between two very desirable locations for holes.
Thompson did this with fives a lot on flatter properties

Moves you from one landscape to another.
The comment on Friar's Head is spot on - its great because the transitions are done "with-in" holes effectively.

Allows the player a break from difficulty, undulation or concentration. It let's the player to prepare for another run of exciting or demanding holes.
-

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »
 8)  A transition hole is one that may exist physically and/or mentally for the course designer.  For the golfer, it depends on his approach to or management of the game or skill level in the elements, not necessarily coinciding with the course designers' thoughts.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

V. Kmetz

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 06:49:34 PM »
Hello,

Thank you for these comments, they balm most of my worries that the sense was getting away from me.
Certainly, I have a bias now reading your responses (and thank you Jim K for directing me to a germane archived thread) but sense was/is that it was mainly in "character of property" eg...if you have a piece of property that's largely rolling farmland, whereof the best routing takes a hole/holes to a culd de sac'ed section or place NOT like that, that a transition hole can be conceived to make that necessary return...or if not all one way or the other...to the next section of the property, which might be streams and meadows or a shady glen...

Again, thank you for your offerings

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back