News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Northwood G.C................
« on: April 25, 2003, 09:45:57 AM »
Has anyone played the Alister McKenzie nine-holer, Northwood G.C. in Sonoma County. It's close to the Bohemian Grove, hangout of the Bohemian Club. Now if Martha Burke wanted to go after a men's club where movers and shakers exchange ideas, this is the place.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

THuckaby2

Re: Northwood G.C................
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 10:01:43 AM »
Bob - we've talked about this course before in here.  I've played it a few times, as have several other Bay Area regulars... it's a neat little course, routed through ENORMOUS redwood trees... I wouldn't recommend it other than as a diversion or if one is SO into MacKenzie one absolutely must play every course he's ever had a hand in...

The proximity to Bohemian Grove was noted before... as was the sexual preference of the majority of vacationers/residents in Monte Rio and Guernville... not that there's anything wrong with this...  ;)

TH

Peter Galea

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 10:04:42 AM »
I've played it. It was fun. Grand redwoods, very tight.
The 2nd (I think) greensite just kinda melts out ot the hillside on the right.
"chief sherpa"

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 10:11:45 AM »
Here's the website, which gives decent descriptions:

http://www.northwoodgolf.com/

The history is a good read also.

TH

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2003, 10:40:44 AM »
Tom has it right.  I've played it 25+ times.  There is nothing really special about the course.  Short holes, lots of big trees, small flattish slow greens, and shallow bunkers.  And vacation houses along the perimeter.  Aside from that it's great.  :P
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

eb

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2003, 01:15:41 PM »
I played the course just a week or two ago.  I wouldn't go out of my way to play it, but it was okay.  The course relies on it's massive trees for most of the strategy.

The things that stood out as good were-
-There are several tee shots that provide an advantage if you are willing to risk trying to shape your shot around trees (usually fades.)
-Depending on what part of the fairway your approach is from, you may or may not have a good look at the pin because of where the trees are.
-For a cheap, unknown course the greens have a lot of shape and variety.  If you like to get creative with your short game this place provides many opportunities.  On the second green I was left with a putt that could've broke 4 feet or 25 feet to get to the hole depending on which line I chose.  If you don't like to get creative with your short game, then you need to think about where you are aiming before hitting your approach shot.
-The quiet setting, with no real civilization nearby.

The bad things were-
-The only civilization nearby is on the edge of the fairways.  Even the straightest hitters may have to shape a shot or two around a house.
-The fairways are pure mud.  It had rained about 3 or 4 days before I played there and it looked like it had just rained that morning.
-The course was pretty short.  This isn't necessarily a problem, but I prefer to play courses where the average par 4 isn't in the 300 yard range.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back