News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: The Algarve
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »
I'm 99% sure that the UK will leave, if and only if because unlike the EU, it is a democracy.

Mark

To get back to the topic, did you stay at Pine Hills?  My family did 5-10 years ago and it was one of the finest hotel experiences that we have had.  To get it even more on topic, did you know that the guy who built the place is/was? also one of the investors in Castle Stuart?

Hope all is well

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »
The Brexit is good for democracy, as are Trump and Erdogan. These three catastrophic results show what happens if you don't bother to vote: fanatics will take over.

I am somewhat hopeful about the Brexit, though. A lot of people are working so hard at completely botching the exit negotiations that it could actually be a cunning strategy to stay in the EU due to "unfortunate technicalities". Or maybe they're just bumbling idiots.

Ulrich

I’m never one to have stats at my fingertips but I’m fairly sure the Brexit vote was a much higher turnout relative to general elections and such like. Perhaps if the general elections had the kind of turnout you are advocating then the Houses of Parliament might not be chock full of politicians who were hell bent on staying in. Just a thought. ;D

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
Rich,

No, we stayed at Carvoeiro, so nearer Palmares. 

It would be good to catch up, I haven't got up to Fife much at all this year.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 06:09:27 AM »
Here's what I found:

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2016/11/05/11/brexit-chart.jpg

Not sure how democratic that result is. Ratio between people affected by the vote's outcome, people allowed to vote and people actually voting?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »
Ulrich

It’s entirely democratic. More people voted to leave than voted to stay in. You either believe in democracy or you don’t.

Let me also point out that the pie chart that you posted shows the UK population as a whole ie. 65 million, so the 18m who are not registered to vote would include everyone under 18; those incarcerated at her Majesty’s pleasure; and those that couldn’t be bothered to get themselves on the electoral register. I’d imagine a fair chunk of the 18m wouldn’t therefore be eligible to get on the electoral register in the first place.

Of the remainder the turnout was over 70%. For recent general elections (21st century) the turnout has been with a few regional exceptions been between the low 60’s to the mid 60’s in percentage terms.

I don’t recall that at those elections that the winning party were adjudged to have lost just because they got fewer votes than the opposition parties and non-voters put together. Such a suggestion would be absurd.

Niall 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back