News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Dawson

Re: Foursomes and architecture
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »
I think Foursomes is a terrific format for club play and/or something you regularly frequent.

But could you imagine making the trip to Riv and not being able to tee off on 10?
Or getting an invite to CPC and not trying the tee shot on 16?

I've never played foursomes in anything apart from a 36 hole day. You swap driving holes (odds for evens or vice versa) for the afternoon round, so nobody misses out on anything - and more time for lunch in-between

Neil Davis

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 05:22:23 PM »
I think Foursomes is a terrific format for club play and/or something you regularly frequent.

But could you imagine making the trip to Riv and not being able to tee off on 10?

I've never played foursomes in anything apart from a 36 hole day. You swap driving holes (odds for evens or vice versa) for the afternoon round, so nobody misses out on anything - and more time for lunch in-between

Afternoon foursomes at Muirfield, after a morning fourball followed by lunch/cocktail(s), is sublime.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »

Which is why it's great that foursomes makes for an ideal 36 hole day (Rye), or is a great way of playing after a singles match and lunch (Muirfield).

Foursomes is very popular at two of my clubs (Northumberland and Elie) but less so at Crail.  Interestingly, when we play foursomes at BUDA it's the visiting contingent that seem to enjoy it the most, though many are dubious at their first try.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 02:27:37 AM »
We play Greensome and Bluesome events both of which involve everyone hitting tee shots but not enough want the true pairs game.
Adrian,
What's a Bluesomes format? Maybe I know it under another name?
atb
Bluesome : All players play two shots before the pair decide which ball is in play then they play alternate (foursome format) from there. hcp allowance 0.5 of lower hcp + 0.2 of higher hcp
Greensome : All players play one shot before the pair decide which ball is in play then they play alternate ( foursome format) from there. hcp allowance 0.6 of lower hcp + 0.4 of higher hcp

Thanks Adrian. I have indeed played this format but under another name (although I can't recall what the organisers termed it).

Curious that some reckon foursomes/alternate shots is particularly sociable. Seems to me like you only ever really get to chat with one of the other pair.

atb
Possibly was called Chapman?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back