News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: What makes Muirfield so much better than Gullane #1?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »
What makes Muirfield so much better is

(a) the bunkering, and
(b) holes like the 9th and 13th and 17th, which are three of the great holes of the world.  Gullane #1 doesn't have any holes in that class, in my opinion.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2015, 01:02:27 PM »
I fear Mike's judgement may have been clouded by his unfortunate choice of playing partners!  ;D
Having said that, and having mulled this over for a few days, I'm now of the opinion that while Muirfield may well be the more superior golf course, where Gullane #1 beats it hands down, is enormous quantities of FUN.
I thought the set of Par 3s was sensational. I loved the routing which loops back to that point around the 4th green time after time. That must be wonderful for the member looking to play just a few holes of an evening. I marvelled at some of the cross-bunkering which varied between penal and strategic in roughly equal measure. The view from much of the course and especially the 7th tee is outstanding (Fife looking especially lovely in the autumnal evening light, of course!)
I sometimes think we ignore or underestimate that simplest of notions that golf is supposed to be a pleasurable pastime. Good company, good craic, nice weather and views, a friendly clubhouse and a nice atmosphere may all be as important to the playing experience as enjoying the charms of a fabulous golf course.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2015, 01:46:14 PM »
Cirba!

1000+ courses and you haven't learned anything?  Gullane#1 is not even the best Gullane (did you play #2?)  Wash your mouth out with soap and report to the Principal ASAP!

Rich

PS--hope you enjoyed the journey

all the best

rfg
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back