News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

The Institute?
« on: October 21, 2015, 04:34:10 AM »
This last weekend in Napa a rep announced that Fry's next pro tourny would be at his course the Institute when the new clubhouse was complete. I thought the course needed all kinds of permits and a road widening that would never get approval. Did cash win out? Anybody play there? What's the current scoop?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Joel_Stewart

Re: The Institute?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 08:42:12 AM »
Thought I read that Safeway had agreed to host the tournament at Silverado for the next 5 years?

Not sure how Frys could host another PGA event in a fairly remote location?  Even with Rory the event had low crowds and poor TV ratings.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 09:00:17 AM »
The only reason the owner of Fry's became involved with the oga tour was to host an event at the Institute.

He went about it the proper way, versus a certain someone's brash method of hitting the usga over the head.

The rep was probably not wrong that the next Fry sponsored tourney will be in Gilroy. It just might not be next year. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 12:04:17 PM »
Thought I read that Safeway had agreed to host the tournament at Silverado for the next 5 years?

Not sure how Frys could host another PGA event in a fairly remote location?  Even with Rory the event had low crowds and poor TV ratings.

The problem isn't Rory or the location....its the time of year.  Between the NFL, College football, and the MLB playoffs, who is going to tune in to watch golf right now?

The FedEx Cup got one part right....to get things wrapped up as soon as possible once the fall started because they just can't compete with those 3 this time of year.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 07:36:24 PM »
Will host a NCAA Men's Golf regional on May-15-17.  The #1 seeded team is Tim Leahy's vaunted Pepperdine Wave.

Also Florida State, Mississippi State, Arizona, Louisville, Baylor, Missouri BYU, NC State, California, Charlotte, GCU and No. Colorado.

If Tim chimes in, maybe he can noodle his opening title.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 01:11:43 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 12:40:22 AM »
I was just coming here to post about this. Spectators are permitted and I'll post more info when it's available, but as far is I know it is free and open, just park at the course. There are also opportunities to volunteer in various roles (no, you don't get to play the course as a reward, sorry!).

I will be out there on Monday the 15th, possibly late on the 14th also if practice rounds are still going in the PM. Happy to meet up with others if you'll be out there.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 07:40:45 AM »
Will love to see pics from the locals who can make it out there. I remember driving up to it once and talking to the guy in charge of their grounds.  He was friendly, but unfortunately he wouldn't let me just walk around and see the place.
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 03:11:54 AM »
Will host a NCAA Men's Golf regional on May-15-17.  The #1 seeded team is Tim Leahy's vaunted Pepperdine Wave.

Also Florida State, Mississippi State, Arizona, Louisville, Baylor, Missouri BYU, NC State, California, Charlotte, GCU and No. Colorado.

If Tim chimes in, maybe he can noodle his opening title.
You beat me to it, Pete. I was worried that Pep might not get a top seed after they lost their conference tournament up in Washington but I attribute that to the cold weather up there.
Back to The Institute. I wondered if anyone here had played or seen the course since the last post in 2015. I still haven't seen the course in person or even heard any news about it till now.
Wonder if they will play it all the way back to 8000 yds one day since if anyone could handle that yardage it would be the college guys.
The weather here in NoCal is finally warming up and predicted to be in the 80's and 90's that week so the warm weather schools should be competitive. The Golf Channel seemed to think that the Cali schools would have an advantage because of the grasses but I don't know if The Institute has Poa Annua or the same grasses as other courses in the area.
Also one of the reasons cited back in 2015 for not having an event at The Institute was lack of parking so I am surprised they are allowing a gallery. I might have to check it out but don't want to jinx the Waves. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 12:05:01 PM »
Greens are mostly bent with the usual smattering of poa. Don’t expect to see 8000 yards; probably 7300-7400. Hopefully they’ll mix up some tees though. Conditions should be good but the course is usually pretty soft.

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 01:32:39 PM »
Is the course any good?  I have not heard much in the way of opinion on that front.  Maybe no one has seen enough of it.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 01:42:01 AM »
A few notes I came across today...
  • Tee times will be from 7:30 to 10:04 each day (Monday, May 16-Wednesday, May 18)
  • Spectators are permitted for all competitive rounds, but not for the Sunday practice round
  • The listed yardage is 7,561, par 72 (presumably not that long each day. Course maximum is 8,052)
  • Spectator parking is at the following GPS address: 15165 Foothill Ave., Morgan Hill, CA 95037. This is near the 14th hole and about a 15 minute walk to the clubhouse, give or take.
  • No tickets required.
  • It looks like snacks and beverages might be available for purchase, but not actual meals.
I'll be there most of the day next Monday.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 01:14:52 AM »
Anyone else out there on Monday?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 06:47:36 AM »
Anyone else out there on Monday?
Might make it out there on Wed for the last round. Looking forward to your post for Mon and any photos of the course. Wondering how the parking will work since that was a big issue for not playing any events there yet. Roll Waves 8)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 07:35:14 PM »
Just checked GOLFSTAT for the opening day scores from the NCAA regional at The Institute and my guys from Pepperdine are third at -4 behind Fl st -7 and Miss st at -12. They are playing the course at 7561 today as opposed the the max of near 8000 yds. This includes 681 and 672 yd par 5's on the front side and a 496 yd & 517 par 4 and a 262 yd par 3 on the back nine. Out of the top 8 players there were 2 birdies and 1 bogie on the 681 hole and 3 birdies with no bogies on 262 par 3.
I am looking forward to Matt Cohn's report and pictures if he made it out there today or if anyone else got out there.
Roll Waves! 8)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 09:37:17 PM by Tim Leahy »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 05:38:21 PM »
The scores were surprisingly good yesterday, even considering light breeze, reasonable hole locations, and good conditions. It's was still around 7,450 with a lot of trouble. Scores are a lot higher today as I hear it's more breezy. I just counted 7 rounds under par today (as of now) when there were about 25 yesterday. Seven teams shot under par yesterday and none are currently under par today. Here are a few pictures.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2023, 07:26:31 PM »
The scoring average went from 73.0 yesterday to 76.6 today. Today is more like how I expected it to play, although I wasn't out there. A quote from someone there: "Yesterday 15 out of 18 pins were gettable, today 15 out of 18 were brutal."

Tim Leahy

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2023, 07:09:51 AM »
So Matt, what did you think of the course? Top 100 worthy? Top 25 in Cali? Toughest in NoCal? Better than Cordevalle? All length and no design? ???
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 07:14:02 AM by Tim Leahy »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 12:04:52 PM »
I don’t think GCA type folks would think it’s a top 100. They would find the course lacking in…artistry? Flow? Cohesion? There are some really cool holes and some that aren’t great.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2023, 02:16:16 PM »
I have no idea if the course is any good, but the hills in that part of California are stunning, as reflected in Matt's third picture.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 03:08:23 PM »
I don’t think GCA type folks would think it’s a top 100. They would find the course lacking in…artistry? Flow? Cohesion? There are some really cool holes and some that aren’t great.
So as a scratch(?) golfer yourself are you looking forward to playing The Institute yourself? On the Doak scale what do you give it?
Now that the course has some exposure maybe it can be rated by the NCGA and hold some events. Should be interesting to see what's in the future for this interesting course.
 8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 03:13:51 PM by Tim Leahy »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 03:10:35 PM »
I'm curious who designed it?  Was it Robert Muir Graves.  I've seen a lot of similar features on other courses of his I've played when looking at those pictures...

Tim Leahy

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2023, 03:27:26 PM »
I'm curious who designed it?  Was it Robert Muir Graves.  I've seen a lot of similar features on other courses of his I've played when looking at those pictures...
According to articles I've read the architect is Damien Pascuzzo with former GCA poster Neal Meagher. Pascuzzo worked for RMG and now with Steve Pate but their website doesn't mention The Institute. Pascuzzo/Pate did Monarch Dunes a course you may have played in the King's Putter tournament some years ago.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 03:39:59 PM by Tim Leahy »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2023, 03:57:52 PM »
According to articles I've read the architect is Damien Pascuzzo with former GCA poster Neal Meagher. Pascuzzo worked for RMG and now with Steve Pate but their website doesn't mention The Institute. Pascuzzo/Pate did Monarch Dunes a course you may have played in the King's Putter tournament some years ago.

The decision maker on design has always been John Fry. The architects of record suggest ideas and implement John's ideas, but John has made the decisions.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2023, 05:54:01 PM »
Pep moves on finishing 5th with the top 5 moving on to Greyhawk. Miss St was the only team under par at -1. Only 6 individuals finished under par the best at -6. Will be interesting if this tough course helps the teams and players at Greyhawk. At some of the other regionals teams finished -50+. Hopefully the Waves take advantage of their experience the last two years at Greyhawk to make a run at another NCAA Championship.
 8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back