GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

RIP Norman Klaparda (the mayor of Riviera)

(1/2) > >>

Joel_Stewart:
Norman Klaparda, the Mayor of Riviera died peacefully today at his home in Pacific Palisades.

Norman was well known in golf circles having played over 1,200 golf courses in the world.  He was the 2nd person to complete the Top 100 in the world and US top 100. He was a valuable panelist for Golf Magazine.  His wife Samm followed in his footsteps and became the first and only woman to play the world top 100.

He generously hosted anyone who wanted to play his home course Riviera CC.  He was a member for 35 years and served in various positions within the club including chairman of the green committee.
Several years ago he was featured in a GCA interview. 
http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/klaparda-november-2011/

I knew Norman for almost 20 years and we went on several trips together.  His laugh and smile was contagious.  A party erupted wherever he was.  I first met Norman at the bar at Riviera and he welcomed me like a brother.  We talked often on the phone and I hosted several Riviera members at Olympic and he reciprocated with my friends.  Our first round  together was at Cypress Point and he immediately showed off his incredible short game.

He will be greatly missed.

Jeff_Lewis:
Rest in Peace, Norman.  Joel is right to point out Norman's infectious laugh and great enthusiasm, which never waned. I will never forget the remarkable trip we did together with Samm and other friends in Japan many years ago. He had as keen an eye for what makes courses good as anybody I have ever known, yet he shared that insight with you in a way that totally welcomed your thoughts, and perhaps a contrary opinion, if you have one. 

Norman's friends and family have lost a great one, but we will all cherish our memories of a unique and inspiring friend.

Terry Lavin:
A great and soulful guy, to be sure. He hosted me and Jeff Lewis a loooong time ago at Riviera. A most knowledgeable and generous host!  RIP.

John Kirk:
Thanks for posting this, Joel.  I met Norm once, about ten years ago.  He was very nice and friendly, made me feel like he knew me.

Ian Andrew:
I'm one of those people he hosted at Riviera. It was set up by Tom.

I remember playing the 10th at Riviera where Norm explained the hole in great detail, the positioning, the history and the strategy. He finished by saying you should never hit driver, never, then promptly pulled out a driver and made an ugly six. When asked why he would do that after explaining why we shouldn't he said .... well I know better ... but sometimes I just can't help myself. We all laughed together for quite a while because of the smile he had after saying that.

We also spent time together n Denver. I had the pleasure of being knocked out of a Renaissance Cup by Norm and Samm on a great putt by Samm. About 40 feet to have, but giving them the win. I think Bruce Hepner and I were more excited for them than they were. We had had a wonderful match and they were sorry it was done.

I'm lucky to have met and got to know Norm. I'm a better architect for the day I spent with him at Riviera.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version