News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

RIP Norman Klaparda (the mayor of Riviera)
« on: October 05, 2015, 04:08:35 PM »
Norman Klaparda, the Mayor of Riviera died peacefully today at his home in Pacific Palisades.

Norman was well known in golf circles having played over 1,200 golf courses in the world.  He was the 2nd person to complete the Top 100 in the world and US top 100. He was a valuable panelist for Golf Magazine.  His wife Samm followed in his footsteps and became the first and only woman to play the world top 100.

He generously hosted anyone who wanted to play his home course Riviera CC.  He was a member for 35 years and served in various positions within the club including chairman of the green committee.
Several years ago he was featured in a GCA interview. 
http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/klaparda-november-2011/

I knew Norman for almost 20 years and we went on several trips together.  His laugh and smile was contagious.  A party erupted wherever he was.  I first met Norman at the bar at Riviera and he welcomed me like a brother.  We talked often on the phone and I hosted several Riviera members at Olympic and he reciprocated with my friends.  Our first round  together was at Cypress Point and he immediately showed off his incredible short game.

He will be greatly missed.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:42:42 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Jeff_Lewis

Re: RIP Norman Klaparda (the mayor of Riviera)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »
Rest in Peace, Norman.  Joel is right to point out Norman's infectious laugh and great enthusiasm, which never waned. I will never forget the remarkable trip we did together with Samm and other friends in Japan many years ago. He had as keen an eye for what makes courses good as anybody I have ever known, yet he shared that insight with you in a way that totally welcomed your thoughts, and perhaps a contrary opinion, if you have one. 

Norman's friends and family have lost a great one, but we will all cherish our memories of a unique and inspiring friend.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:44:53 PM »
A great and soulful guy, to be sure. He hosted me and Jeff Lewis a loooong time ago at Riviera. A most knowledgeable and generous host!  RIP.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kirk

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 05:33:51 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Joel.  I met Norm once, about ten years ago.  He was very nice and friendly, made me feel like he knew me.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:43:20 PM by John Kirk »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 07:07:38 PM »
I'm one of those people he hosted at Riviera. It was set up by Tom.

I remember playing the 10th at Riviera where Norm explained the hole in great detail, the positioning, the history and the strategy. He finished by saying you should never hit driver, never, then promptly pulled out a driver and made an ugly six. When asked why he would do that after explaining why we shouldn't he said .... well I know better ... but sometimes I just can't help myself. We all laughed together for quite a while because of the smile he had after saying that.

We a
lso spent time together n Denver. I had the pleasure of being knocked out of a Renaissance Cup by Norm and Samm on a great putt by Samm. About 40 feet to have, but giving them the win. I think Bruce Hepner and I were more excited for them than they were. We had had a wonderful match and they were sorry it was done.

I'm lucky to have met and got to know Norm. I'm a better architect for the day I spent with him at Riviera.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:59:06 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »
We have lost another of the game's better characters. If you were lucky to have crossed paths with Norman just once (and usually that's all it took), you were left better off for it. I was fortunate to have played a round with Norman and enjoyed a few meals  and wonderful conversations with he and Samm. As others here have amply noted, Norman was a good soul who loved the game, its people and various venues  He never lost track of the order in which they mattered. May he rest in peace and my thoughts and prayers are with Samm and his family.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:23:27 PM »
Well, dammit. I knew this day was coming, but that doesn't make the news less bitter.

I was in that Norm-hosted group at Riviera with Ian Andrew. It was just one of several memorable rounds I was fortunate to share with him. On the range that day, Norm asked me if I knew any Riviera members beyond the usual suspects. I said I knew one, and lo and behold there he was - Robbie Kreiger of Doors fame (long story). I go over and talk to Robbie and return to hitting balls.

One guy, Norm says, and it's Robbie freakin' Kreiger??? And so he took me over and introduced me to Johnny Mathis!

My heart goes out to Samm and to Mike Robin, Dick Zamuda, and all who know Norm's wonderful friendship.

Golf is immeasurably richer for his life, and understandably sadder today.

Maybe he'll find those extra yards he was always seeking on the courses he can only now begin to explore.

THANK YOU, Norm.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 09:36:46 PM »
He was the best rep of the belt notcher crowd. Good egg in every way.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »

August 23, 1938 - October 5, 2015 Norman Klaparda, 77, passed away peacefully on October 5th following a brave 22-month fight with pancreatic cancer. He is survived by his beloved wife Samm Klaparda, children Karen and Joseph Klaparda, grandchildren Moshe and Sarai Faith Bogoratt, brothers Sam (Sandy), Larry, Jimmy (Susie), and seven nieces and nephews. Norman was born August 23, 1938 in Tel-Aviv, Israel. He immigrated to America with his parents and three brothers in 1954. He began his illustrious career in the garment industry in 1955, and quickly exhibited a natural talent as a businessman. He was a strong believer in the American dream and lived a life that exemplified those values. He built a thriving manufacturing business and was a founding member of the MAGIC Show (Men's Apparel Guild in California.) In retirement, Norman and his brothers and partners managed several real estate properties they acquired throughout their lives. Norman was a resident of Pacific Palisades, and a member of the Riviera Country Club for over 35 years. He achieved extensive admiration and respect from the golf community throughout the world. He played GOLF magazine's Top 100 World Courses, and was a panelist for the magazine playing and rating the most courses worldwide than anyone else on the panel. His family will miss his infectious smile, love of life, passion, spirit, kindness and wisdom. Norman was a man of his word and principles who always had kind thoughts for everyone. Services will be held at Mt. Sinai (5950 Forest Lawn Dr., Los Angeles) on Wednesday at 3pm. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the William Isacoff MD Research Foundation for Gastrointestinal Cancer.
Published in the Los Angeles Times from Oct. 6 to Oct. 7, 2015- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?pid=176037783#sthash.NE9nyK6w.dpuf

Mark_Fine

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 09:36:55 AM »
Very sad.  I didn't know he was ill  :'(   I was also in that group with Tom and Ian at Riviera and knew Norman (and Samm) well.  We played quite a few rounds together and loved to exchange golf stories.  He was a real gentleman and would bend over backwards to help in any way. He will be missed and I my prayers go out to Samm and the family. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back