News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Re: 3-Tiered Greens
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 12:11:05 PM »
I think three-tiered greens work great on par 5's or short par 4's where accuracy with a wedge approach is critical. My favorite is 3 West at Ridgewood.

I also like the short par four 7th at Westchester. (Or is it 16?)

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »
Restore #13 AND #14 ;)
Tip of the iceberg Wags!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 07:40:28 PM »
"Jeff - if I remember correctly this green is borderline unfair as I don't know if you can keep a putt on the green when your ball is on the uppermost tier and the flag is on the bottom tier."

Wayne,

There's really no good excuse to end up on the upper tier when the pin's down on the bottom .. so that penalty may be fitting!  ;)
jeffmingay.com

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 07:51:29 PM »
The 5th at Delamere Forest is a long narrow triple tiered green, but the twist is the back third is lower than the middle section; cool hole. My recollection may be hazy as we were being admonished by two ladies club members for moving about on the green as they were teeing off on # 16, there is a warning sign you know!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2015, 02:36:30 PM »
Beau Desert's 5th and Perranporth's 13th have cool three tier greens...low on the ends, high in the middle.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Dave McCollum

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 04:39:46 PM »
There’s a triple tiered green at Blue Lakes CC in Twin Falls, Idaho.  It’s so unusual that a picture of it hangs in the USGA’s headquarters in Far Hills.  Also, when taking Tom Doak around our canyon last summer, it’s one of the few photos he took.  The slope from the lower tier to the upper is so steep they keep it at collar cut.  He rolled a few balls down it to see how it plays.

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 07:21:59 PM »
The 10th green at Winchester CC in Massachusetts is a very large three tiered green.  The first two tiers are somewhat subtle, while the back tier is perched up significantly more.  The back edge of the green also has some slope which works as a backstop allowing you to keep the ball on the elevated back tier.  If the pin is in the middle tier you can also use the slope of the third tier as a back stop!  It's a fun green to approach and putt. 

I also came across a picture published in 1912 showing Colt's new 12th green at Sunningdale(Old).  This green appears to have several tiers as well.  I've never played Sunningdale, so I wonder if the green still looks the same?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 09:33:55 PM »
I can't comment with much authority on the 7th green at Olympic Club (Lake), but my recollection is a three tiered green that works well.  I would think a key to playability would be gently sloped transitions between tiers.

There's a six tier green at the Chardonnay Golf Club in Napa, California.  It's a par 3 with the tiers laid out sideways on a 100 yard wide green.  I played Chardonnay once a long time ago, and vaguely remember the hole.  That has to be the record for most tiers.

I played Chardonnay decades ago and hit it long left for probably an easy double. God help you if you miss by two tears. ;)
There used to be one down in the Monterey area (Carmel Valley Ranch?).

The par 3 7th at Eagle Crest (OR) Resort Course is another.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 05:22:35 AM »
The green on the old 3rd hole on the Red course at Frilford Heath used to have 3 tiers. It was fantastic but sadly is no more as this hole was lost due to the building of the Blue course 20 years ago. The green was actually retained and used for the new 10th hole on the blue course - the last 100 yards are the same as the old hole but it is a big dog leg right rather than the old dog leg left. However, for some reason, the tiers were removed by the architect. I believe the club expressed a desire to retain the old green but the architect insisted on softening it.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2015, 05:26:05 AM »
There is a nice Ross 3-tier green at the CC of York, the par 4 16th:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:26:52 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2015, 07:20:25 AM »
The 10th green at Winchester CC in Massachusetts is a very large three tiered green.  The first two tiers are somewhat subtle, while the back tier is perched up significantly more.  The back edge of the green also has some slope which works as a backstop allowing you to keep the ball on the elevated back tier.  If the pin is in the middle tier you can also use the slope of the third tier as a back stop!  It's a fun green to approach and putt. 

I also came across a picture published in 1912 showing Colt's new 12th green at Sunningdale(Old).  This green appears to have several tiers as well.  I've never played Sunningdale, so I wonder if the green still looks the same?

Bret

No chance, the 12th green isn't anywhere near as bold as your photo depicts.  I truth, even at moderate green speeds that old green looks way too steep.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 09:56:44 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for your feedback regarding the 12th at Sunningdale.

Bret

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 07:46:59 PM »
How could I forget the 9th at Sagebrush?

Gene Greco

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 07:52:12 PM »
12th at Laurel Links by Kelly Blake Moran is a short par 3 with three tiers set perpendicular to the tee
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

jeffwarne

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
The fifth at Palmetto is three tiers, now more distinct as the green speed arms race has required much of the tilt to be taken out in fabor of more distinct tiers.
Very difficult-and always was especially given that the fairway slopes left as well as the green and can easily be a long iron approach.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back