News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

More than 3 tiers...
« on: October 07, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »
The 3 tier green thread got me thinking about the old MacK green at Sitwell.

Has there ever been a more extreme/wild green built that we know of?  Maybe the 16th at Pasa, but this one looks more extreme than that...

Post up your examples!

P.S.  While interesting, practice greens don't count...like the one at Pac Dunes is pretty wild, but not in "play"

Tom_Doak

Re: More than 3 tiers...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:47:17 PM »
Kalen:

The 13th at Barnbougle Dunes is inspired by the Sitwell Park green.  It's not as wild as that one looks to have been, but it's the wildest one I've built.  I was going to try and build a closer version of the green pictured on our second project in China, but it appears that God is telling us not to try.

Some of the greens I saw on the Valliere course at Morfontaine reminded me of this picture.  They don't take up as much elevation from front to back, but there are some very severe up and over tiers, mitigated by the actual hole locations being in bowled-out areas so you can use counter-slopes to slow the ball down.  Those are the key to making an ultra-severe green playable.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
I did a four tier green once, the 18th at Brookstone near Atlanta. First course, last 4 tier green.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:16:04 PM »
Are they loss common now based on playability issues, or ownership not wanting them....or both?

I personally like greens with lots of undulations but I realize its not everyone's cup of tea....

Greg Gilson

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:54:20 PM »
Tom's #13 at Barnbougle is a great example as he highlights.

What about Alex Russell's #11 at Yarra Yarra in Melbourne? The tiering is less dramatic than Sitwell Park and the green is a different shape...but there are at least 4 main tiers. The standard description I give guests is "noone would dare build a green like that today".

Gene Greco

Re: More than 3 tiers... New
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 07:47:46 PM »
(moved to another thread)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:54:20 PM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back