News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

Re: What Is The Greatest Unwalkable Golf Course?
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2015, 09:05:43 AM »
Sagebrush would be in the competition...
it is a polarizing course (the "fairway / green / 2-putt" player might not like) ... but I think the open-minded player loves it.. it's a very fun and unique course where you play shots you'll never play anywhere else... it's a very severe walk, mainly because of 2 or 3 climbs between holes but there are a lot of close green and tees 

Scott Weersing

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »

I know lots of bad cart-only courses but there are few great "long walk" courses.

Here are some from the Golfweek list:

Royal New Kent- best new course back in 1996. Long distances between greens and tees.

Pelican Hill, Fazio in Newport Beach, CA.

The Prince, Princeville (not sure if this one is still open)

Wolf Creek, Mesquite, NV

Bruce Katona

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »
I second Kapalua.  I walked most of it while the Mrs. was driving the cart.  There were a few places on jumped on as the distances between holes ( and the downhill on 18) weas pretty severe from tee to landing area.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »
To throw out another course in the West....Sanctuary.

As one of Jim Engh's original courses it has some fantastic holes, but the course itself would be an absolute brute to walk!!

Kirk Gill

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2015, 01:23:27 PM »
Kalen, I'll agree with you on Sanctuary, and the same can be said of Engh's Pradera. Many people do walk at Pradera, but it's a bit of a hoof. This is an issue with a lot of mountain/front range courses, though certainly not all. Just depends on the property, and the architect, of course.

There's a Jay Moorish course south and west of Denver called Ravenna that is bisected by a ridge of rock that around here is called a hogback. The ninth hole is a dropshot par 3 with the tee up high on the hogback. Traversing that hill is a nasty bit of business with a cart, especially the downhill bits, and walking it with a bag would not be fun. With people around who regularly bike 60 miles a day and the like, I'm sure there are those who walk the course, but most would not. Perhaps for members they have a shuttle cart available just for that part, as the rest of the course wouldn't be a brutal walk. "Unwalkable" is a pretty high standard, although with my fat butt and knee problems, a lot of courses around here fit that description right now........
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Jason Topp

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 01:55:55 PM »
While it might be possible to walk the Ocean Course at Cabo Del Sol I cannot imagine why anyone would want to do so.  There are a few long walks and some steep climbs better experienced on a cart. 
I prefer that course to anything I have seen mentioned so far.

Paul Jones

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2015, 03:01:27 PM »
Sutton Bay - that was a good course but impossible to walk.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Carl Nichols

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2015, 03:34:10 PM »
John,

I agree with Kapalua.
Kiawah Ocean has a shuttle that takes you from 9th green to 10th tee.

The Kiawah shuttle is for pace of play given that they are a resort course.  That walk is quite flat and easy to do.

While the walk is flat, it's about 1/2 mile.  I don't think the fact that it's a resort course is why they have a shuttle; many courses (private and public) would run a shuttle with that long a walk in the middle of the round.   

Garland Bayley

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »
... but I think the open-minded player loves it...

Perhaps if the open-minded person is a straight hitter with enough carry on his tee shots. Otherwise, not.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back