News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Russ Arbuthnot

Re: Michigan GCA Top 25 Rankings (2015)
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »
Ben,

My top 8 15:

1. Kingsley
2. Belvedere
3. U of M
4. Indianwood Old
5. Battle Creek CC
6. Western
7. Arcadia Bluffs
8. Forest Dunes
9. Boyne - Ross Memorial
10. Little Traverse Bay
11. Radrick Farms
12. A-ga-ming - Sundance
13. Dunmaglas
14. Coyote Preserve
15. Orchards

Out of ~45 MI courses played.

Preferences:

Classic > Modern
Walkable > Cart ball
Public > Private
Open > Tree-lined
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:53:55 PM by Russ Arbuthnot »

Sean_A

Re: Michigan GCA Top 25 Rankings (2015) New
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:28:33 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jon Heise

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2015, 01:18:45 PM »
Might as well make a list!

Detroit area native, at ~150 Michigan courses played.  (current Chicago)

Only a general order...

Crystal Downs
Greywalls
Arcadia
Lost Dunes
U of M
Forest Dunes
Eagle Eye
Grosse Ile
Shepherd's Hollow
Dunes Club
Indianwood Old
Sweetgrass
Belvedere
Kingsley
Gailes

A couple probably nobody will ever admit to but I sure like a lot...
Wyandotte Shores
Raisin River East
Tyrone Hills
Black Forest
Otsego Tribute

I still like Greywalls better.

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2015, 01:21:04 PM »
Jon

I really liked Wyandotte Shores when it opened. I went back a few years ago and they cut down all the native and reduced some fairway width...very disappointing. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:28:47 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2015, 01:27:55 PM »
Jon, You have Greywalls 11 spots ahead of Kingsley. You obviously enjoy DeVries' work. Can you explain your rationale? I'm curious as I've never played Greywalls and have Kingsley #2 on my MI list. I've read and heard great things but haven't met someone that preferred it over Kingsley.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Jon Heise

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »
Jon, You have Greywalls 11 spots ahead of Kingsley. You obviously enjoy DeVries' work. Can you explain your rationale? I'm curious as I've never played Greywalls and have Kingsley #2 on my MI list. I've read and heard great things but haven't met someone that preferred it over Kingsley.

Sean, as a fellow Downriver guy, I pretty much grew up on Wyandotte.  They've never really figured out what they want to do with it.  While conditioning is greatly improved (and a lot of the native areas back...), they've added a LOT of trees.  Gasp!!  It's made it a much more defined course and takes away from the "links" intention.  It is not as wide as it used to be, for sure.  I do love that they have their own "Road Hole" 8th...

Ryan, my list was only roughly in order.  I LOVE Greywalls more than almost any other course, but CD always has that aura to it, so that's why it's up top.  Maybe many have it KC higher as it's easier to get to?  I don't know.  I've been going to GW pretty much since it opened and have always been drawn to it.  Both courses can certainly be major asskickers, but I've been able to string together better full rounds at GW.  Both wonderful for match play, of course.  Two very similar and very different courses if that makes sense.
I still like Greywalls better.

BCowan

Re: Michigan Top 25 Rankings (2015) New
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2015, 09:27:50 PM »
Ben,

My top 8 15:

1. Kingsley
2. Belvedere
3. U of M
4. Indianwood Old
5. Battle Creek CC
6. Western
7. Arcadia Bluffs
8. Forest Dunes
9. Boyne - Ross Memorial
10. Little Traverse Bay
11. Radrick Farms
12. A-ga-ming - Sundance
13. Dunmaglas
14. Coyote Preserve
15. Orchards

Out of ~45 MI courses played.

Preferences:

Classic > Modern
Walkable > Cart ball
Public > Private
Open > Tree-lined

Russ,

Nice list, a good mix. 

Jon,

Sheperds Hollow?  Interesting pick..

The list has been updated again.  Thanks for the lists.  Others who haven't sent, what are you waiting for?   
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:48:26 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Sean_A

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2015, 06:57:55 AM »
Man, I am surprised by the bashing Oakland Hills is taking.  For my money, a set of greens like that is enough to certainly keep it in the top 3.  I am not keen on the bunkering of Oakland Hills (its only real issue), but the greens at Franklin Hills and Orchard Lake are not close to the interest of Oakland Hills.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:29:30 AM by Sean_A »

BCowan

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2015, 07:30:50 AM »
S,

The reason the south course is lower is not everyone has played it.  Kingsley, franklin, battle creek, and Grosse ile all have great greens.  Franklin greens are way superior to olcc.  If franklin ever fixed the 17 hole and continued with tree removal it would be something. 

The 2016 list will be better due to requiring 10 plays of top 25 current.  Greywalls only has 3 votes, we hope to rectify that next summer ;)

There is really no need to leave michigan the 6 warm months of the year...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:48:42 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2015, 03:52:16 PM »
    Ben:

I was going to go anon on this to avoid flak, but here goes anyway.  These are only courses I have played.  I added an Ancients List at the bottom because we should all be glad they still exist.
Tony

Michigan Top 25
1. Oakland Hills South
2. Franklin Hills
3. Orchard Lake
4. Country Club of Detroit
5. Barton Hills
6. Indianwood Old
7. Bloomfield Hills
8. U of M MacKenzie
9. Muskegon CC
10. Detroit Golf Club North
11. Grosse Ile
12. Tam O’Shanter
13. Plum Hollow
15. Shepherd’s Hollow
16. Western G&CC
17. Cedar River
18. Boyne Highlands Heather
19. Port Huron GC
20. Belvedere
21. Black River
22. U 0f M Radrick
23. Oakland Hills North
24. Forest Lake CC
25. The Legend
Essex (Ont.) (still a GAM course) and TPC of Michigan (it was fun to play)
Ancients List:  (Be thankful they exist)
Wequetonsing
Harbor Point
Les Chenaux Club

Pointe aux Barques

Jud_T

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2015, 04:31:58 PM »
Anthony,

When's the last time you played Belvedere?  I find it very hard to believe there's 19 better courses excluding a couple of obvious big names, not to mention the likes of Boyne...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2015, 05:43:14 PM »
Jud.  [size=78%]15 years ago.  [/size]

My list is biased, because its mine.  However, back in the day when Black River was holding a state open and four state ams (1946-1960), over two different designs, it was considered as good as Belvedere, if not better.  IMO I don't understand Belvedere in the top 10.

I have also not played Kingsley, Lost Dunes, CD, or Arcadia; only seen them from the clubhouse or from the roadside over the fence and OB.

Enjoy your posts and comments.
Tony

Terry Lavin

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2015, 05:45:23 PM »
I find it very encouraging to see Muskegon in such high cotton, so to speak. I was there back in my pre- gca days and remember it fondly.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BCowan

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2015, 05:55:50 PM »
Tony,

Come clean. Did u write down 13 names and then head to the bar?  U have Shepard hollow above ur own course and my home course, western, and belvedere?  Are you a closet hills fan or a golf digest rater?  I hope it was the booze.  I was driving and had to pull over and talk u off the ledge.   ;D

Ps- maybe the new owners of muskegon will let us cut down trees over there this winter  ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:49:26 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2015, 08:07:23 PM »
Ben:

SH was a sop to your plebeian public course bias.  I thought that would throw you off the scent and I could slip in my favorites.  Radrick was just to get the expected response, although to me its not a top fifteen course.  It will be interesting to see if Dye's trip makes a difference.  I already defended (right or wrong) my Belvedere rank. 

[size=78%]Being a bit of a history guy, I like it a little rough around the edges.  Too many courses with white sand and many post '80s courses leave me a bit cold. Cedar River one of the few I enjoy playing and walking the land, even in winter.[/size]
[/size]

Hmmmm….maybe I'm not a rater, I can't seem to get a return call from Topeka.

Tony

Mark Johnson

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2015, 11:07:43 PM »
hard to understand how CC of Jackson(Marsh/Woods) is not on the list.  Has it just not gotten that much GCA play?  Haven't played all the michigan courses out there, but clearly better than every course I've played below 12 on the composite list.

BCowan

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »
hard to understand how CC of Jackson(Marsh/Woods) is not on the list.  Has it just not gotten that much GCA play?  Haven't played all the michigan courses out there, but clearly better than every course I've played below 12 on the composite list.

What is the composite list?  The first post is the list. I've heard cc of Jackson is a gem.  How many courses in the top 25 have u played?  I love how people sound off but are vague in their response. One in our group has played it 12 years ago in high school and had nice things to say.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:50:12 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Sean_A

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2015, 03:50:04 AM »
Hell, for cart golf SH is alright.  I have played worse courses which are well thought of. 

Ciao

BCowan

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2015, 06:51:25 AM »
S,

You think well of Birmingham cc and have it high on ur list.  Higher then people who have played it and ranked it.  Unfortunately it's under the knife right now and I can't play it.  I've read ur tour which was good.  Can u tell me again what u enjoyed about it? 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:50:29 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Sean_A

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2015, 09:31:46 AM »
S,

You think well of Birmingham cc and have it high on ur list.  Higher then people who have played it and ranked it.  Unfortunately it's under the knife right now and I can't play it.  I've read ur tour which was good.  Can u tell me again what u enjoyed about it?

Birmingham is a very well balanced design in terms of hills/flat; aerial/ground greens; straight/dogleg holes and decent green surfaces. Trees need to come out, but I think Doak missed the boat on this one with a 4...I would give BCC a solid 6 as the pieces come together very well. The weak area is near the entrance drive...to really improve the course this is the section which needs a re-think.

I knew the knew Super would want to do some work to the course.  He did a good job at Grosse Ile in trying circumstances...though only a complete bunker overhaul will really improve Grosse Ile.  What is planned for BCC?

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:32:31 AM by Sean_A »

Will E

« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »
Crystal Downs
Dunes Club
Kingsley
Barton Hills
Oakland Hills South
Franklin Hills
Indianwood Old
Black Forest
University of Michigan
Lost Dunes

Best Brewery- Jolly Pumpkin

Jud_T

« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2015, 10:14:49 AM »
Will,

Have a glass of Kuhnhenn Cherry Oud Bruin and it will rock your world view...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

BCowan

« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »
Crystal Downs
Dunes Club
Kingsley
Barton Hills
Oakland Hills South
Franklin Hills
Indianwood Old
Black Forest
University of Michigan
Lost Dunes

Best Brewery- Jolly Pumpkin

Will,

Did u go to school in michigan?  Are u living here still? 

Jolly pumpkin is the best brewery on main st  ;D . That sour beer must have influenced some of those picks.  When winter rolls around an OT michigan top 5 or 10 brewery rankings is in order.

Arcadia ales
Bells
Right Brain
Dark horse
Founders

Pumpkin is the 3rd best in Ann arbor imo.

Thanks for posting.  I need another course, we aren't taking 9 holers. 

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:50:56 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

John Moore

« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »
Lived in SE MI for 13 years.
Crystal Downs- world class   
Kingsley Club- match play gem
Oakland Hills - the greens   
Forest Dunes - much more than good conditioning   
Franklin Hills - fix 17
6 and 5   
UofM - most of my rounds played here   
Indianwood Old - great members course   
Lakewood-Gailes - Sean A. is never wrong   
Arcadia - poor routing but so much fun, have walked 36 here so it can be done.   

have not played: Orchard Lake, Lost Dunes, Dunes Club, Bloomfield, CC Detroit, Greywalls

so leaving a top 10 spot for one of those.

Others I like not in any order:
Tullymore - suited my game, only played before clubhouse opened   
Radrick - super low key atmosphere   
Barton Hills - seen only pre-renovation   
Angels Crossing - fun template holes,  good conditioning when I played after opening   
Diamond Springs - more like this please   
The Orchards - ruined by housing   

favorite brewery: Dragonmead
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:09:10 PM by John Moore »
I love GCA!

JC Jones

« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »

Will,

Did u go to school in michigan?  Are u living here still? 

Jolly pumpkin is the best brewery on main st  ;D . That sour beer must have influenced some of those picks.  When winter rolls around an OT michigan top 5 or 10 brewery rankings is in order.

Arcadia ales
Bells
Right Brain
Dark horse
Founders

Pumpkin is the 3rd best in Ann arbor imo.

Thanks for posting.  I need another course, we aren't taking 9 holers.

Swap Odd Sides or Shorts for Founders.

Founders isnt a Michigan brewery anymore.  Its Spanish.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back