News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

Re: Michigan GCA Top 25 Rankings (2015)
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2015, 09:58:23 PM »
Brian

Because there is no explanation of how the list was compiled or what criteria were used to create the rankings. It also doesn't match my experience with the courses involved or with other people's opinions that I know and respect. 

I didn't say it was wrong. It might be right if the courses were rated by a certain set of criteria.  But they haven't explained how the courses were evaluated. 

I don't have to find it credible for others to find it so. I claim no ability to speak for anyone but myself.

Bart

I just don't accept that any list can be "right" or "wrong" regardless of the criteria. Ranking courses is inherently subjective.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:01:35 PM by Brian Hoover »

BCowan

Re: Michigan Top 25 Rankings (2015) New
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 10:47:32 PM »
guys,

We are re-working the list.  We wanna get everything just exactly perfect... 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:44:22 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 11:20:33 PM »
Based on what I can tell all these guys are WWWD's. World wide walking dudes. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

BCowan

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 07:45:20 AM »
Based on what I can tell all these guys are WWWD's. World wide walking dudes. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Jaba,

Only 4 of the 9 are in TWGS  ;) .  You should be happy that no raters were allowed in making this list.

Jones,

PM me your list since we don't have enough West siders on it.  Have you played Muskegon, Greywalls, Diamond Springs, and Black Forest? 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:44:38 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 08:36:17 AM »

Jaba,

Only 4 of the 9 are in TWGS  ;) .  You should be happy that no raters were allowed in making this list.

Jones,

PM me your list since we don't have enough West siders on it.  Have you played Muskegon, Greywalls, Diamond Springs, and Black Forest?

25 years on the West Side, family still resides. I also think that Wuskowhan could make a visit to the list.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Peter Pratt

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 08:41:23 AM »
I've played all but two of these courses, and I'd suggest that the Gailes, Pilgrim's Run, and Treetops (Smith Signature) be considered.

BCowan

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 08:46:28 AM »

Jaba,

Jones,

25 years on the West Side, family still resides. I also think that Wuskowhan could make a visit to the list.

Tony,

Send me ur list. Anyone else who has lived in michigan send me there's prefer non se mich.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:44:58 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Mike Schott

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 09:25:22 AM »
Hi Ben.

I can't speak to MI private courses other than Pine Lake CC which is nothing special but I've played most of the better public and resort courses in the state. Here are some favorites, in no order:

Belvedere
Forest Dunes
Lakewood Shores Gailes
Lochenheath
Boyne Donald Ross Memorial
Black Forest
Thousand Oaks
Treetops Smith
Cedar River

Of those, my top 3 are Gailes, Ross Memorial and Forest Dunes.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 10:29:27 AM »
I can't believe I read no mention of Wuskowhan Players Club.
It might not be top 5, but it is top 10 for sure.

http://wuskowhan.com/

BCowan

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 11:12:02 AM »

Ian, rest,

We will have the finished list by wed hopefully .  Thanks to peter for sending me his list.  Ian, 2 people are required to play a course to make the list, we will sure to include it in not enough plays for consideration.  Tony and jones or anyone else not in se mich send me ur list please. 

Lastly, everyone just relax
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:45:20 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »
Thanks, Ben.
Lists are weird. I remember reading in the early 90's in "Golf Digest's Places to Play" that the St. Ives Resort was one of only 12 public access courses to receive "5 stars". (Others included Pebble, Pinehurst, Kiawah.)

Wow, I thought....gotta go!

"Not so much!"....Tullymore and St. Ives are, to me, two of the most overrated golf courses that I have ever encountered.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2015, 12:10:45 PM »

That's an amazingly under the radar club -- is that the only other Henderson/Smith co-design besides Arcadia?
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Niall Hay

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »

That's an amazingly under the radar club -- is that the only other Henderson/Smith co-design besides Arcadia?

R&S Sharf Golf Course - Oakland University

[size=0px]Architect:[/size][/color][/size][size=0px] Warren Henderson[/size][/size][size=0px]Designer:[/size][/size][size=0px] Rick Smith[/size]
[/size][size=0px]http://wwwp.oakland.edu/golf/courses/sharf/[/size][size=0px]

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2015, 09:35:16 AM »
Ben:

Having just played Wuskowan and Muskegon back to back M is far an away the better piece of property and golf course.  Very interesting green sites and roll to the property.  The course at W is memorable for its closed in, most;y flat, site, but I don't have distinct memories of the individual holes.  Also the bunkering at W is cookie cutter boring. Every hole the same flat bottomed style.

Tony

Peter Pratt

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
I agree with Tony about Wuskhowan. Little uneven undulation, much wetland hopping.

BCowan

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 11:21:03 AM »
Tony,

Just finished the Mines.  Enjoying a nice oatmeal stout at Founders.  Playing Muskegon this afternoon and really looking forward to it.  The mines back 9 was better, all in all my least favorite of the 3 GR DeVries. 

Diamond Springs
Pilgrims Run
The Mines

Two for Tuesday and founders makes for an enjoyable day.

I'm going to complete this list in the end of oct. Anyone who has lived in Michigan or lives in michigan please send me ur list.  U can't be a rater is a requirement too. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:46:01 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

DFarron

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »
Very nice job of rating. I'm a HUGE fan of OLCC but sorry, not better that Oakland Hills. Not sure how Western and Bloomfield Hills got on there and Bay Harbor did not. Arcadia and Forest Dunes need to be higher. Grew up in Southfield but ironically never played Plum Hollow.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »
Hey Ben!

I have played 80 courses in Michigan, can I send you my list.

Bay Harbor was terrible BTW.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Steve Lang

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »
Ben,
When the microbursts occur on these ratings, remember to bend but don't break.. like some trees on M-72 east of Kalkaska..

Also, you know your craft beer thing has lead to Highpointe now being a hops farm... i guess its better than corn and sunflowers which were grown there, but think about it...

A view looking east, back to the clubhouse from what was once space between #1 green and #2 tee

I can't stand seeing this...

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:14:07 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Josh Tarble

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2015, 04:58:57 PM »
I haven't played a ton in Michigan, but I know 6 through 11 better be damn good because both Lost Dunes and Arcadia are excellent.

DFarron

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2015, 07:18:14 PM »
Hey Ben!

Why didn't you like Bay Harbor?

BCowan

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2015, 09:10:55 PM »
I haven't played a ton in Michigan, but I know 6 through 11 better be damn good because both Lost Dunes and Arcadia are excellent.

Lost Dunes and Arcadia are trending up.  Lose the attitude dude.  Some of the courses haven't gotten enough plays and some are polarizing as in high marks and lower marks.  people our age who are well traveled have Arcadia 10 and 11.  another guy called me last night and said it was 2nd in the state and lost dunes was 3.  2 people our age that are well traveled have Lost Dunes 13 and 9.  Looking over my list I'd prob have Lost Dunes around 6 if I'd of played it.  I just got done playing Muskegon CC this afternoon and it really impressed me.  It's prob around 12 right now in my opinion with the possibility of going to around the top 7 or better with a restoration(there isn't one in the plans).  Comments about Arcadia are anywhere from Excellent to an amusement park.  It did get voted best place in Michigan to have a perch sandwich  :)

Waiting for you SW and Northern Michigan Whiners, please send me your list so I don't have to hear your complaining.  The bottom 5 are the hardest to do and haven't computed them yet.  Comparing some DeVries to a neglected Ross or Park Jr is hard. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:46:48 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2015, 09:34:42 PM »
Hey Ben!

Why didn't you like Bay Harbor?

OMG. Bay Harbor is atrocious. A bad use of an old quarry.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BCowan

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2015, 09:51:30 PM »
Very nice job of rating. I'm a HUGE fan of OLCC but sorry, not better that Oakland Hills. Not sure how Western and Bloomfield Hills got on there and Bay Harbor did not. Arcadia and Forest Dunes need to be higher. Grew up in Southfield but ironically never played Plum Hollow.

Drew,

You need to play OLCC now and OH S on the same day.  When you get neutered in the 80's it's hard to imagine.  Western is great, the bones are really good.  Problem is it floods all the time and the same 80's archie made it worse.  Bloomfield has been halfway restored.  Tree removal makes a huge difference.  The course is very fun and has some really good holes.  It sounds like resistance to scoring is high on your list.  OLCC is a championship course, if they could find the sketches of the 5 edgy greens that they only have oral history and implement them with some changes to 9 the course could be a 9-9.5 in my book.   :o

Forest Dunes looks rather like a maint whore kinda course.  I might play it next week just to get it out of my system.  I'll have an open mind.  Same with Arcadia next summer.  A twilight round and a perch sandwich to follow.  I can say I ate a perch sandwich, played golf, and road a roller coaster all on the same day  ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:47:04 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BCowan

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2015, 11:06:47 PM »
list Updated.

We will wait 10 more days for more lists.  greywalls, Muskegon, and Wuskowhan have minimal plays. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:47:37 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back