News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David McIntosh

Re: Goswick Golf Club, Yummy Indeed!
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 04:06:22 AM »
Malcolm,

Great tour of a course that will be an unknown quantity to many - thanks for taking the time to post it.

I've heard from a few people that Goswick was good but never in as glowing terms as one of the finest seaside courses in the UK. Where do you think it ranks in UK terms? Top 10? Top 20? I'd be interested to get your take on this.

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 09:50:23 AM »
Also,

I really enjoyed playing Dunbar but Goswick is a better course and Silloth much, much better but a much longer drive from Edinburgh! Silloth is over two hours each way!

Malcolm

There you go, another reason why you should have had your daughter study in Glasgow instead  ;D Anyway, thanks for the tour, looks fantastic. Can't understand Sean's comment on movement as their looks as though there's plenty of pitch and roll to provide plenty of interest. The turf also looks like the fantastic light sandy stuff you get up the coast.

Niall

JJShanley

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »
I still feel torn on Goswick's finish.  I thought it underwhelming in 2003, because 20 y/o JJ wanted a strong par 4 finish, but does it provide a good half-par opportunity?  Does it have too many bunkers to actually offer strategy that includes a viable teeshot to the green?

Put me equidistant from Goswick and Silloth, and I'd choose Silloth.  But Goswick adds something to a larger East Lothian trip.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 11:43:08 AM »
There's no doubt, I think, that Silloth is a class above Goswick.  But Silloth is very, very good indeed.  If Goswick was 10 miles further north it might make the top 5 in East Lothian (behind at least Muirfield, NBWL and Renaissance but ahead of, say, Dunbar and, in my book, Gullane)
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 01:11:24 PM »
Not quite for me. Would still prefer a game at Luffness to one at Goswick, eight times out of ten, but agree that Dunbar/Goswick is a much more even bout. As mentioned above, the problems with Goswick's finish, and squeezing in three holes after the original ground to the south was lost, detract a bit from my own final evaluation, but it's still a lovely place for a game of golf.

One course on the Northumberland coast that always seem to get oddly little GCA airtime is the Dunstanburgh Castle links beside Embleton Bay. This has some proper rolling duneland holes, and some (to be honest) considerably tamer holes on its inland side: the course runs up to the castle ruins, and whilst not perhaps quite as stunningly scenic as the nearby links at Bamburgh Castle (the latter not a million stylistic miles from Porthcawl), it is likewise a super place for a game and exceptional value (as indeed is the golf on this whole coastline), with the sporty 9-holer at Warkworth, Seahouses and the historic links in the village at Alnmouth to add to the local fun. Fabulous kippers, some good pubs, and not too far off the main Newcastle-Edinburgh road: golf on the Northumberland coast comes (very) highly recommended for GCAers looking for something just a bit different.

Niall C

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 10:12:11 AM »
Richard

That's interesting. Looks like you've outlined a nice 4 or 5 day golfing break. Maybe not for the guys flying the Atlantic but certainly for us UK'ers who are looking for inexpensive holiday golf. Haven't played any of those you mentioned but all sound worthwhile.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »
Malcolm,

Thank you for this photo-tour.

Looks a very fine course in a gentle, modest, unpretentious way. Certainly somewhere I would like to play oneday and combined with some of the other courses mentioned above it would make a rather nice golf tour.

Atb

Richard Fisher

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 01:14:14 PM »
A Northumberland tour is a (seriously) good idea. Excellent value, with (in addition) some nice inland venues including The Northumberland Golf Club at Gosforth (often seen during TV coverage of Newcastle races), which has hosted the English Amateur on at least a couple of occasions. Goswick would be the highlight, but Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh, Seahouses, Alnmouth, Warkworth etc would make for ideal supplements, and of the course the great thing about 9-hole venues like Alnmouth and Warkworth is that you can play two different courses in the same day and still have a good idea what is going on. I retain a strong personal allergy to the sort of golf outing where you rush from 18 holes here to 18 holes there, with a stressful drive in between games, but only play each course once. With 9-holers that problem of unfamiliarity is much reduced. There is lots of history to inspect too, and some lovely small towns like Alnwick and Berwick itself, which is a fascinating, oddly dislocated sort of place straddling two countries.

Niall C

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2016, 09:00:54 AM »
Agreed. So, when are you arranging the tour for ?  ;D

Niall

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2016, 08:46:12 PM »
Goswick has always been a favorite of mine. Just a short drive from Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Story - 30 years ago my wife and I played there with friends. Bright pink golf balls were a new thing. My wife had a sleeve and played one through nine holes where she hooked one left. Never found it, although it should have been just off the fairway in some light rough...? After coming off 18 two small boys were proudly showing off a bright pink ball to another boy ... when asked where they got it, the boys said they had had it for several days ... too funny.

Goswick is charming, and the bacon sandwich is worth the drive all on its own.

Great story!
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back