News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Re: USGA awards 2025 and 2026 US Opens to Oakmont and Shinnecock
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 05:07:40 PM »
Now we just need to go back to Oakland Hills for the Open.  Should be interesting in the next few years there...it would also be nice to go back to Olympic Club
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 05:28:06 PM »
"it would also be nice to go back to Olympic Club"

Jay F. -

The US Women's Open will by played at Olympic in 2021. I will be surprised if the Men's Open is played there before 2028 or so.

DT

John McCarthy

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »
This is good, and no brainers.

Other than Butler, are there any courses out there that could get an US Open whose membership just says "No thanks".  Cypress? 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Matthew Rose

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 03:06:03 AM »
Would the USGA go back to a "restored" Oakland Hills, should they vote in favor?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
Would the USGA go back to a "restored" Oakland Hills, should they vote in favor?

That's what I'm thinking. The USGA must be waiting on that vote and restoration.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 12:42:01 PM »

That's what I'm thinking. The USGA must be waiting on that vote and restoration.

My guess is the USGA will go back to the West Coast -- specifically Chambers Bay or Olympic -- before Oakland Hills. You look at the USGA calender for the Open, and they have made a major push for West Coast sites and those prime-time finishes. With Opens at PBeach in 2019, TPines in 2021, and LACC in 2023, I'm guessing 2027 returns to the West Coast.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 11:20:41 PM »
This is good, and no brainers.

Other than Butler, are there any courses out there that could get an US Open whose membership just says "No thanks".  Cypress?
SFGC?  ANGC?

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 12:39:02 AM »
The answer used to be LACC but that has changed. Maybe that was urban legend but it seems like it was true. You sure would lose your course for a long time.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 07:05:13 AM »
I am surprised that they would go back to Oakmont so soon. And after what happened on Sunday with Dustin Johnson, maybe Oakmont should go the way of Bethpage Black or Congressional or Olympia Fields.

I guess Chambers Bay is out of 2025 which would be the 10th anniversary of J. Spieth's win. I am also surprised that they did not go back to Merion in 2025 or 2026 and give the course a second chance. Also, I am surprised that the did not wait to see what Trinity Forest turned out to be for a Southwest US Open in 2026.  I am also surprised that they would not consider Whistling Straits for 2025. Perhaps they did ask.

I get the feeling that courses are asked rather than bidding for a US Open. I am surprised that they would return to Shinnecock so soon, 2018 and 2026.

I wonder what happened to taking the US Open to new courses. After Erin Hills, nothing is new.

I would agree that 2027 would be west coast open with Olympic or Chambers Bay. That would leave 2029 for Pebble Beach.

Alex Miller

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »
I am surprised that they would go back to Oakmont so soon. And after what happened on Sunday with Dustin Johnson, maybe Oakmont should go the way of Bethpage Black or Congressional or Olympia Fields.

I guess Chambers Bay is out of 2025 which would be the 10th anniversary of J. Spieth's win. I am also surprised that they did not go back to Merion in 2025 or 2026 and give the course a second chance. Also, I am surprised that the did not wait to see what Trinity Forest turned out to be for a Southwest US Open in 2026.  I am also surprised that they would not consider Whistling Straits for 2025. Perhaps they did ask.

I get the feeling that courses are asked rather than bidding for a US Open. I am surprised that they would return to Shinnecock so soon, 2018 and 2026.

I wonder what happened to taking the US Open to new courses. After Erin Hills, nothing is new.

I would agree that 2027 would be west coast open with Olympic or Chambers Bay. That would leave 2029 for Pebble Beach.

#2, Pebble Beach, Shinnecock, and Oakmont all are on the rota for good. It's a 8-10 year cycle and these are the ones that aren't leaving anytime soon.

Pinehurst #2 - 1999, 2005, 2014, 2024
Pebble Beach - 2000, 2010, 2019, 2027 (guessing, west coast fits here)
Shinnecock - 1995, 2004, 2018, 2026
Oakmont - 1994, 2007, 2016, 2025

2028 would be the 100th anniversary of Olympia Fields' first U.S. Open - I'll guess that one as well.
2029 would be the 100th anniversary of Winged Foot's first U.S. Open
2030 would be the 100th anniversary of Bobby Jones' U.S. Am win at Merion

Those all fit in nicely with the rotation through major markets as well. Bonus I'll guess 2031 at Olympic too.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 02:01:14 PM »
 Baltusrol seems to be gone for good and PGA only. Too bad. While it has yielded some lower scores and the architecture may not be at 10, it has also given us great champions and exciting tournaments .... I will take a chance and predict that the PGA championship this year will be the best of the majors ...

Sam Kestin

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 02:01:47 PM »
Great call, Alex. I think those guesses on future dates are right on the money.

Happy to see them go back to what I feel are arguably the two best U.S. Open venues (Pebble and Winged Foot are competitive in there--but behind both in my view). Each of these tests of golf exudes the ethos I want in a United States Open Championship. It's supposed to be hard. It's supposed to be on the edge. There are supposed to be a lot of high scores. Poor play is supposed to get exposed and nerves are supposed to be frayed. There are supposed to be 15 guys who miss the cut and complain about the golf course being too hard.

As Fownes so famously said--let the clumsy, the spineless and the alibi artists stand aside!

To me, the "fans love birdies" narrative espoused by many is arguably ruining professional golf. I love recovery shots from around the greens and treacherous putting once you actually do get the ball on the surface. I love that you actually have to hit fairways. I love that bunkers are a half-shot hazard off the tee. I love that there are places you just CANNOT put the ball without making bogey or worse.

Courses where -15 or better wins turn the broadcast into a boring putt-a-thon. The best player becomes the guy who can put the ball 15 feet away on his approach (and can make a few) and the guy who misses the cut is the guy who puts the ball 30 feet away (and can't make any). I find this to be a total snooze to watch.

Some mismanagement of the agronomy in 2004 shouldn't prevent Shinnecock from hosting future U.S. Opens. A silly situation involving the rules sure as heck shouldn't prevent the same at Oakmont. I couldn't understand less those who think these are not deserving championship venues.

I thought it was a real testament to Oakmont that it felt for a lot of Sunday (when the course started to play like it should) like nobody could make a par. It felt like it was all birdies and bogeys--which (to me) is the ideal championship scoring dispersion. Good shots rewarded, mediocre/bad shots punished.

Just my opinion.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »
I am also surprised that they did not go back to Merion in 2025 or 2026 and give the course a second chance.

They have to wonder if golfers will keep hitting the ball further.  If so, how would the USGA set up Merion?  They can't add much length.  So that would likely mean narrowing the fairways even more, and growing higher rough. 

My guess is that wiithout a total moratorium on technology gains, Merion's U.S. Open ship may have sailed. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 05:07:17 PM »
"As Fownes so [pointedly] said--let the clumsy, the spineless and the alibi artists stand aside!"

I don't believe that this quote is nearly as well-known as "A shot poorly played should be a shot irrevocably lost"

Before I speculate, understand that Baltusrol, Whistling Straits, Oak Hill and Bethpage are now in the PGA of America (PGA, Senior PGA, Women's PGA, Ryder Cup) camp and are no longer (for the time being) candidates for USGA championships.

What we know:

2017 -- Erin Hills
2018 -- Shinnecock Hills
2019 -- Pebble Beach
2020 -- Winged Foot
2021 -- Torrey Pines
2022 -- The Country Club
2023 -- Los Angeles Country Club
2024 -- Pinehurst No. 2
2025 -- Oakmont Country Club
2026 -- Shinnecock Hills

I think that a 2030 US Amateur at Merion is more likely than the US Open returning there between 2027 and 2030. I think that Chambers Bay will get an Open either in 2028 or 2029. A dark horse is Sebonack; even though the Open is in the Hamptons in 2026, I think that the course has enough teeth and expandability to host a men's championship (and lord knows, the owner has clout.) Unless I missed some news bulletin, the Women's Open of 2013 was well received.

There has to be a midwestern US Open (Pittsburgh doesn't count) in that four-year stretch. The diviners who mention Oakland Hills are astute; they have been a PGA Course for a bit (last in 2008). Here are the upcoming PGA sites:

2017 -- Quail Hollow (Charlotte, N.C.)
2018 -- Bellerive (St. Louis, Mo.)
2019 -- Bethpage Black (Long Island, N.Y.)
2020 -- TPC Harding Park (San Fancisco, Calif.)
2021 -- Kiawah Island, The Ocean Course (Kiawah Island, S.C.)
2022 -- Trump National Bedminster (Bedminster, N.J.)
2023 -- Oak Hill Country Club (Pittsford, N.Y.)

If Oakland Hills wants a US Open and the restoration is in line with what the Mike Davis trio values, I think that they get it over Olympia Fields. The fact that this year's US Amateur is at Oakland Hills is a hint that the Detroit-area club wants to get back to Camp Nou (Jersey).

By a nose, I think that the PGA of America is more forward thinking, more radical, in its site selection for the marquee event, than is the USGA.

Here are my predictions:
US Open
2027 -- Oakland Hills
2028 -- Chambers Bay
2029 -- The Country Club
2030 -- Olympic Club
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

BHoover

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 05:16:51 PM »
So you're predicting a 2029 US Open at TCC a mere seven years after the 2022 US Open at TCC? Methinks that unlikely.

Or is this only a typo?

Joe Schackman

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 05:17:44 PM »

Before I speculate, understand that Baltusrol, Whistling Straits, Oak Hill and Bethpage are now in the PGA of America (PGA, Senior PGA, Women's PGA, Ryder Cup) camp and are no longer (for the time being) candidates for USGA championships.

There was a David Fay article in Golf Digest last year where he speculated Baltusrol may jump the PGA ship if they don't get a Ryder Cup.

Alex Miller

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 05:27:14 PM »
So you're predicting a 2029 US Open at TCC a mere seven years after the 2022 US Open at TCC? Methinks that unlikely.

Or is this only a typo?

And waiting at least 12 years for Pebble Beach. I could see Oakland Hills getting in the mix and therefore messing up my predicted order, but I still like my set more.  ;D

Scott Weersing

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 08:21:31 AM »

Or is this only a typo?

And waiting at least 12 years for Pebble Beach. I could see Oakland Hills getting in the mix and therefore messing up my predicted order, but I still like my set more.  ;D

Ok, so who predicted Oakmont for 2025?

Alex seems to know what the USGA will do in choosing sites. http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60322.25.html

David McIntosh

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »

Scott,

By saying "maybe Oakmont should go the way of Bethpage Black or Congressional or Olympia Fields" do you mean Oakmont should be one of the more infrequently used venues due to events on Sunday? We all know the USGA made a mess of things in handling the Dustin Johnson situation but this had nothing to do with Oakmont itself and I wouldn't have thought the club should miss out on relatively quick US Open return because of this (it'll be nine years until the next Oakmont US Open after this year, the same gap between 2007 and 2016 and less than the 13 year wait between 1994 and 2007) .

It was good to get a glimpse of Merion in 2013 but I understood that the infrastructure around the course was another factor, in addition to length, going against them ever being awarded another US Open. I think this was due to logistical issues such as not having on-site practice area or locker facilities (both of which were located on Merion's West Course for the tournament), having to shuttle players through fans and traffic from the West to the East Course to make their tee times, etc.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:35:07 AM by David McIntosh »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 01:06:29 PM »
Courses where -15 or better wins turn the broadcast into a boring putt-a-thon.
[/size]But part of this issue is that the USGA typically takes a par 72 course and changes a couple of par 5s into 500 yardish par 4s and calls par 70.  So the -4 that Dustin should actually be -9 since Oakmont normally plays to a par of 71.  Par is an arbitrary number, who cares what the score is in relation to par which could be 280, 284 or 288?

[/size]
Some mismanagement of the agronomy in 2004 shouldn't prevent Shinnecock from hosting future U.S. Opens.
I am not sure which way you are implying causality when it comes to Shinnecock but it was the USGA that screwed up and caused the unplayable greens.  The club was so po'ed that they didn't want to think about hosting the Open for a while.  If such an episode re-occurs I am guessing that the membership of Shinnecock will not be interested in holding the event for a long, long time.  Too bad Mucci isn't around these days as I bet he would have something to say on this issue.

Sam Kestin

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 02:26:55 PM »
Wayne--

Completely agree with you re: Shinnecock membership. 

I was more getting at the general public--theres a sentiment that exists where some feel that what happened in 2004 was so bad that Shinnecock shouldn't get another Open. People tend to hold it up as THE example of out of control golf on an out of control course. When people complain about the USGA "tricking up" courses or that the U.S. Open has gotten "too penal"--that's almost always one of the first examples.

I just think anyone who thinks that way is letting the USGA's agronomy mistakes in 2004 pollute their view of Shinnecock as a golf course as opposed to their view of the specific setup for that specific Open.

William_G

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »
after 2020 US Men's Am at Bandon, there could be another US Open site to consider for that prime time Sunday finish  8) 8)
It's all about the golf!

Scott Weersing

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 10:19:54 PM »

I guess the USGA will continue to have its favorites and Oakmont is one of them. I wonder what a course or membership or the USGA would have to do not to return to a course. I thought they would never return to Torrey Pines because it already hosts a PGA Tour event but I was wrong.

I guess the days or times of the USGA going new places is over for awhile but we do get Erin Hills, The Country Club and LACC North.

So I guess it is up to Alex to tell us, what courses will host the 2027 and 2028 US Opens?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 07:59:18 AM »
So you're predicting a 2029 US Open at TCC a mere seven years after the 2022 US Open at TCC? Methinks thadt unlikely.

Or is this only a typo?

I see the 2022 one being so wildly successful, and the inability to get George Wright into US Open shape, that they will want to return to Boston promptly. The problem the USGA has with June in metro NY is the rain. I suspect that it might be different in Boston. We'll see. It is pushing it, I'll admit. I think that the US Amateur, won by Fitzpatrick, was successful beyond the USGA's vision, and that they would have pushed the date up for the 2022 if they could have.

If what Joe suggests comes true, then Baltusrol could replace TCC in 2029.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back