GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Are Champion Bermuda greens more expensive to build/maintain?

<< < (3/3)

Anthony_Nysse:

--- Quote from: Chris Pearson on September 21, 2015, 12:10:13 PM ---
I am also under the impression that tif dwarf requires a ton of work throughout the year and a lot of aeration, but this may just be because I see these greens more often than Champion or other varieties.

--- End quote ---

Typically, Tifdwarf is the opposite. Verticut deep a few times a year, aerify with big cores, bury in sand. That's the attraction of Sunday grass. Less maintenance than the ultradwarfs.

Chris Cupit:

--- Quote from: Anthony_Nysse on September 21, 2015, 02:26:29 PM ---
I am also under the impression that tif dwarf requires a ton of work throughout the year and a lot of aeration, but this may just be because I see these greens more often than Champion or other varieties.

--- End quote ---

Typically, Tifdwarf is the opposite. Verticut deep a few times a year, aerify with big cores, bury in sand. That's the attraction of Sunday grass. Less maintenance than the ultradwarfs.

--- End quote ---

Anthony,

Is it fair to say that Tifdwarf, unlike Champion, Mini Verde or TifEagle is not an ultradwarf and that comparing it to the other three is a bit of an apples and oranges thing?  While it is a dwarf bermuda it is not in the same "ultradwarf family"?  I really don't know and am just asking.

Chris

Anthony_Nysse:

--- Quote from: Chris Cupit on September 21, 2015, 06:39:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: Anthony_Nysse on September 21, 2015, 02:26:29 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Anthony,

Is it fair to say that Tifdwarf, unlike Champion, Mini Verde or TifEagle is not an ultradwarf and that comparing it to the other three is a bit of an apples and oranges thing?  While it is a dwarf bermuda it is not in the same "ultradwarf family"?  I really don't know and am just asking.

Chris

--- End quote ---

100% correct, Chris. There is really only 3 UDs-Tifeagle, Mini Verde and Champion. Sunday, Emerald, Tifdwarf, though all used as putting surfaces, wouldn't be considered a UD.

Lyndell Young:
I agree with Mike N. management makes all the difference. I defy anyone to identify a particular ultradwarf. I know I can't I have seen exceptional examples of each and I have seen poor ones. They do have their differences though, Champion which is what I chose on my course seems to excel in the northern transition zone.Tifeagle seems to excel in the more southern areas where there is longer season, and Miniverde is in between. The aggressive growth of Champion is a benefit to me due to a shorter growing season in my area.I also think Tifeagle handles cloudy hot weather better.JMHO

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version