News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Pearson

Are Champion Bermuda greens more expensive to build/maintain?
« on: September 19, 2015, 11:10:26 AM »
Having grown up on bentgrass greens but now living in Texas, I am largely disappointed with bermuda greens—especially those in central Texas, which just doesn't get enough rain to keep them satisfactorily lush.

However, I've recently realized that, without exception, Champion Bermuda greens provide the most consistent playing surfaces I've encountered south of the Mason-Dixon line. In fact, if I only got to play Champion greens, I could live happily without ever putting on bentgrass again (well, I wouldn't miss the bent too much).

From the firmness of the turf (due to the thicker, denser root system?) to the quality of the grain, Champion Bermuda seems to be a cut above other variants, such as Tif Dwarf, which is a popular alternative in central Texas.

My question is this: If Champion Bermuda is so obviously superior, why don't we see it on more courses in the South?

For example, a local muni in Austin (Jimmy Clay) just redid their greens...but they used Tif Dwarf. Thanks to a history of poa creep and sustainability issues on the greens, the super has no choice but to keep the grass longer to allow the roots to grow deeper. As a result, the playability is garbage, and the surfaces are clearly subpar compared to other courses in the area that feature Champion Bermuda.

What gives here? At this point, any club that chooses to redo their greens without Champion is nearing "complete write-off" status for me.

Mike Nuzzo

Re: Are Champion Bermuda greens more expensive to build/maintain?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »
IMO Management, construction and design are all more important than grass selection.
When you refer to Champion are you referring to all ultra-dwarfs - miniverde and tif-eagle?
My favorite course in Texas has dwarf, but it has different management, construction and design philosophies.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 08:28:09 PM »
IMO Management, construction and design are all more important than grass selection.
When you refer to Champion are you referring to all ultra-dwarfs - miniverde and tif-eagle?
My favorite course in Texas has dwarf, but it has different management, construction and design philosophies.

Sounds nice

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 09:04:34 PM »
My "club" here in West Valley of Phoenix is considering a renovation of our Keith Foster course (about 20 years old and probably one his first solo efforts) involving a badly needed  new irrigation system, new fairway and greens grass and, perhaps, more. One of the problems we see is that Champion has not had success at Phoenix CC(same elevation as us) but SunRidge Canyon (higher elevation) and Maryvale (same elevation as us) are installing it. The other problem is that our local grass supplier only grows TifDwarf and Champion would have to be imported from a supplier in Texas so it may cost more.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:10:36 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 11:42:10 AM »
Champion only comes from Texas. Tifeagle only comes from Southern Georgia and Mini Verde is growth throughout the southern states, which is why there have been so many issues with it being pure. Lot of issues with Champion being pure, also. It seems to mutation or "yellow dog" after 4-5 years. Tifeagle is the only genetically made grass and has been around for nearly 20 years.
  Mike couldn't be more right when he refers to management and those that do not have the time and $$ to maintain a UD, dwarf is still a very good surface. Id also include where the turf is being managed. Certain areas of the country seem to do better with certain grasses.
  Around here, Champion certainly isn't the most popular choice and isn't my favorite. Courses where is excels down here are much more seasonal. Tifeagle is being used at Doral, PGA National, Bay Hill, TPC Scottsdale, Innisbrook, Harbour Town, Sea Island. TPC Sawgrass will be converting to Tifeagle after 2016 event. Mini Verde is being used at East Lake, Quail Hollow, TPC Louisiana and Redstone, though the latter 2 overseed. Champion is used at Sedgewood.
  "Write off status" is a bold comment without knowing all the factors. Every ultradwarf has some drawbacks, some much more issues than others.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 01:37:39 PM »
Chris,

I have seen more than a few muni's in Texas that used the old Tif Dwarf in the name of lower maintenance costs, but most any course in the mid to upper range will use Champions or Mini Verde now.  Tif Eagle seems to be less popular since Mini Verde came in, but really between the three, its sort of a Chevy-Ford-Dodge question, each with its supporters for various reasons.

Those can include cold tolerance, color, etc. 
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Chris Cupit

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
Chris,

Champion is a terrific ultra-dwarf and I am glad you are enjoying it but I too would caution you about thinking there is any such thing as a "silver bullet" when it comes to grass.

My family is from Texas and my unlce still has older bermuda on his public course.  In Atlanta, we recently converted to TifEagle from A-1/A-4 bent and my choices were:  Champion, Mini-Verde and TifEagle.  There is no one perfect grass for everyon and even among the ultra-dwarfs while TifEagle was the right choice for my course, it may not be at the course down the street.

I do think I was able to look at excellent research and data and I know I did not rely soley on salesman and marketing nor did I have a board who may have been influenced by the "what other clubs were doing" syndrome.  As mentioned TifEagle is 20 years old, has not seen the segregation that Champion and Mini-Verde have been seeing and at least one research paper measuring ball roll showed it to be the best performer.

Having said all that, TifEagle may not be the right choice for the course next door.  SO many factors go into the decision and at the end of the day, grass is grass--a living breathing creature that can be fickle.  Sometimes you do everything right and the grass struggles and some grasses succeed despite their management!

The new ultra-dwarfs are fantastic and any choice among the three mentioned will likely yield a great result.  I would urge any group considering a change to:

1.  DO your own reserach and reading.  There is a lot of data out there.  Do not rely on what others tell you.  Educate yourself so you can ask intelligent questions of your superintendent.
2.  Despite that warning, talk to area supers and see what they have experienced and what they would reccomend.
3.  Absolutely, positively do not pick a grass just because XYZ club did it and their greens are great.  Each situation is unique.
4.  Listen to YOUR superintendent.  He should know your course and conditions better than anyone and he or she is the primary expert you should listen to.  If you do not "trust" their expertise then maybe you have a superintendent issue more than a grass issue  :o

[/size]Again, all three ultra-dwarfs are terrific and miles better than bermudas from decades ago.  But don't get hung up thinking anyone of them is perfect.  [size=78%]

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
Chris,

Nice, more detailed summary.  Those 3 are really close together.  At least, I can't tell a huge difference when putting, but when it comes to choosing a turf, it can get pretty emotional.

In some ways, it recalls an old home remodel where my wife was obsessing over cover plates for electrical switches between off white and eggshell.  I asked if she had ever actually looked at those plates in the ten years we had the house, and she hadn't, but once you have to make a decision, it gets really, really micro managed by all.

My standard joke is that there is more talk about grass varieties in golf boardrooms than college dorm rooms.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 10:00:39 PM »
I just used this grass on a course and have been asked to use it on another....seems to be pretty good from all I can see...http://www.sundayultradwarf.com   It will take less maintenance on some of the lower budget places than the other three ultras...will maintain more like TifDwarf.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Chris Pearson

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 12:10:13 PM »

Interesting info, guys.

Mike, your link to Sunday Ultra-dwarf is wildly appropriate—it turns out that Jimmy Clay used this on their recently renovated greens (which I complained about in my original post!).

These new greens certainly need time to grow in and establish a proper root base, and I suppose my commentary is both premature and ignorant.

I'm actually thrilled to know that the Parks & Rec department had the wherewithal to try something new, and I look forward to playing Jimmy Clay once these greens have grown in and been mowed to a reasonable height.

Aside from Jimmy Clay, my preference for Champion is merely a local observation. Within about 50 miles of Austin, Champion greens seem to be the best—and most robust from season to season—by a mile.

Tif dwarf greens are rampant here, and while they can be decent on occasion (Morris Williams muni and Bluebonnet Hill are good examples), they are just as likely to be shoddy (see: Roy Kizer muni's problems over the past year). I am also under the impression that tif dwarf requires a ton of work throughout the year and a lot of aeration, but this may just be because I see these greens more often than Champion or other varieties.

Finally, in Houston, which gets a lot more water annually, my favorite greens have been mini-verde. So to me, this seems like a an issue that is very much tied to the local climate (as well as maintenance practices and overall budget, obviously).

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »

I am also under the impression that tif dwarf requires a ton of work throughout the year and a lot of aeration, but this may just be because I see these greens more often than Champion or other varieties.

Typically, Tifdwarf is the opposite. Verticut deep a few times a year, aerify with big cores, bury in sand. That's the attraction of Sunday grass. Less maintenance than the ultradwarfs.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Chris Cupit

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 06:39:49 PM »

I am also under the impression that tif dwarf requires a ton of work throughout the year and a lot of aeration, but this may just be because I see these greens more often than Champion or other varieties.

Typically, Tifdwarf is the opposite. Verticut deep a few times a year, aerify with big cores, bury in sand. That's the attraction of Sunday grass. Less maintenance than the ultradwarfs.

Anthony,

Is it fair to say that Tifdwarf, unlike Champion, Mini Verde or TifEagle is not an ultradwarf and that comparing it to the other three is a bit of an apples and oranges thing?  While it is a dwarf bermuda it is not in the same "ultradwarf family"?  I really don't know and am just asking.

Chris

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 07:18:26 PM »

Anthony,

Is it fair to say that Tifdwarf, unlike Champion, Mini Verde or TifEagle is not an ultradwarf and that comparing it to the other three is a bit of an apples and oranges thing?  While it is a dwarf bermuda it is not in the same "ultradwarf family"?  I really don't know and am just asking.

Chris

100% correct, Chris. There is really only 3 UDs-Tifeagle, Mini Verde and Champion. Sunday, Emerald, Tifdwarf, though all used as putting surfaces, wouldn't be considered a UD.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Lyndell Young

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 11:48:21 PM »
I agree with Mike N. management makes all the difference. I defy anyone to identify a particular ultradwarf. I know I can't I have seen exceptional examples of each and I have seen poor ones. They do have their differences though, Champion which is what I chose on my course seems to excel in the northern transition zone.Tifeagle seems to excel in the more southern areas where there is longer season, and Miniverde is in between. The aggressive growth of Champion is a benefit to me due to a shorter growing season in my area.I also think Tifeagle handles cloudy hot weather better.JMHO

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back