News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Pnil Mickelson Out Of Torrey Pines North Redo
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 09:48:33 PM »
The money quote:

In the current process, the city is receiving “best value” bids, meaning that it will choose the contractor that offers the most work for the $12.6 million.
The project has been scaled back to include: greens and bunkers built in their current locations; most tees leveled and rebuilt in current locations; new forward tees on every hole; relocated fairway bunkers; five acres of turf removal; complete cart path system; a new irrigation system; and the irrigation work on the South Course.
- See more at: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/sep/29/phil-mickelson-out-torrey-pines-north/#sthash.PzTzwr5q.dpuf

[/size]
[/size]$12.6 million to not change the course too much!!  A California public project at its finest.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 04:18:08 PM »
Here is a follow up as to why Phil will not be allowed to be involved in the North Course renovation project, by State law!
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/sep/30/mickleson-faulconer-torrey-pines-golf/

"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 07:57:53 PM »
A few years ago Mike Nuzzo and I responded to an RFP for public work in CA. We didn't like some of the design asked for in the RFP, it involved a series of small ponds that served no storage or storm water purpose so we came back with a barranca style of design to solve the problem.   The govt entity then ditched the original idea and issued a new RFP using our design.    We didn't get the job.   
The guy who drew the original plan did.  Guess the law was different in 2011.   

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 09:38:29 PM »
Don,

So you proposed a barranca and they ditched the idea? Clever play on words, my friend!
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 10:29:17 PM »
Joe - you want a special use of words, check out Don's post on the "Sense of Place" thread. I praised it there and I'll praise it here; I'm telling you, that quote will outlast gca.com in its elegantly simple description of what gives a golf course that "sense of place".
Peter
(I posted on that thread too, but after reading Don's post I felt like the "other guy" who made a speech at Gettysburg, the one who took two hours to President Lincoln's two minutes and *still* didn't say a darn thing worth saying)

David_Tepper

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back