News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Why is Friar's Head not a Doak 10?
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »

Phil,

Given the property lines and the early discovery of the Redan, Alps, Road, Eden and Sahara holes, along with the two clubhouse locations, how was NGLA's routing not self evident ?

Do you, and others, think, that upon playing a course you can determine the quality of a routing ?

Patrick: I can't comment on NGLA, having not played it, and it's been a while since I read CBM's book, so I can't recall details on his writings about it.

I do think one can sense the quality of routing having played and seen a course. In an interesting way, to me, I think very good routings stand out as obviously good routings right away; on the other hand, it takes repeated plays and visits to a course to see how a routing might not be optimal.

To use an example close to home: Milwaukee CC stood out as a very good routing the first time I saw it. Repeated visits to Erin Hills confirm, for me, its routing at times is askew.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Why is Friar's Head not a Doak 10?
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2015, 04:51:38 PM »
Tim,

I think I see part of the problem, and it's one of context.

My series of replies, especially # 's 2, 44, 56 and 63 have to be viewed in terms of continuity rather than isolation.

Let me try to string them together for you.

I stated the following:

# 2 

Great course, great practice facility, great par 3 course, great clubhouse.

Sounds like a 10 to me.

# 44

Friars Head makes the case for itself, starting with the routing.

The course transitions from the dunes to the flats to the dunes to flats and finally back to the dunes in wonderful fashion.

As I stated, the terrain, routing and individual holes are outstanding.

# 56

Some things, architecturally, are self evident.

Routings being one of them.

The routing of Friars Head, over that terrain is a 10 in itself.

Now, you have to evaluate the individual holes within the context of the terrain and routing.

# 63

You may not be qualified to opine on the quality of the routing, but I am.

The quality of the routing over the terrain at Friars Head is self evident, but then again, how would you know otherwise, as you've never set foot on the property. 

So for you, any pronouncement about the quality of the routing would be foolish.

Whereas, having visited the project during and after construction, with and without Ken Bakst, and having played it numerous times, I'm more than qualified to assess the quality of the routing.

[/

My statement regarding routing/s was a statement made in the context of an existing course.

Certainly the CC of York provides proof to the contrary on undeveloped land.

When you play a golf course, and you are aware of the property lines, you can assess, when you walk off the 18th green, the quality of the routing.
It's self evident.

The quality of the routing is self evident at Friars Head, NGLA, Seminole, Pebble Beach, CPC and a myriad of others.
You also know when a routing is lacking, irrespective of the reasons as to why it's lacking (permitting, owner, money, other).

Hope that helps.
color]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back