News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Marvelous MOORTOWN GC
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 02:12:18 AM »
Sean,

the matches were 36 holes so 14th is probably not so early.

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 04:25:36 AM »
Sean,

the matches were 36 holes so 14th is probably not so early.

Jon

I don't know, 5 and something doesn't sound terribly competitive  :D

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 06:56:52 AM »
One year later and I am more impressed with Moortown.  The greens are more interesting than I previously thought and I have a better appreciation of the fabulous bunker renovation.  Finally, the modest elevation changes make for a lovely walk yet the course doesn't feel like it needs more hills. See the updated tour.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ryan Coles

Re: More Marvelous MOORTOWN GC
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »
I too really like the look of the bunkers but they will take some maintaining.

Are there any examples of bunkers restorations/renovations that DIDN'T greatly increase labour intensity?

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2016, 05:15:46 PM »
Ryan

I have no idea about the numbers so far as upkeep is concerned, but its always gonna be difficult to do a Dr Mac bunker reno on the cheap.  That said, I do believe more bunkers were added to Dr Mac's plan, not least because a few holes are gone with new ones in their place...see 6 & 7.  That said, their will be several holes where the bunkering is very different to the original.  As an example look at #1...I wonder if this fairway wasn't shared with 18? Anyway, the green for #1 is radically different as is the bunker scheme.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:23:02 PM by Sean_A »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 12:07:26 PM »
Rick Shiels tries to break 75 here at Moortown -- a good look at the 1929 Ryder Cup venue as it plays in the summer of 2022.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct84Bp6FTgM

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 01:13:52 PM »
Is Clyde in there building bunkers? I got as far as hole 5 and they look different there.

I know Ken Moodie re-built them only a few years ago.

James Reader

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 02:37:52 PM »
Clyde has been working there.  I played it yesterday for the first time in several years and was very impressed.  A lot of trees and gorse have been removed since I was last there and it now has much more of a heathland feel.  The new bunkering is also very good throughout.

I may be wrong but I think Sean has updated the photos on here since they were originally posted, as most show the new bunkers (and I’m pretty sure they weren’t there in 2015).  The main exception is the 5th, as you spotted Ally.  The trees to the left of the fairway have been removed and replaced by three bunkers in the bank.  These shield any view of the fairway and create a temptation to bite off more than one can chew (which I for one fell for!).  The big hitters will try for the green but will need to hit a long draw to find it - a straight hit will likely find the bunkers short right of the green.

I’d definitely recommend Moortown.  It’s not quite at the Alwoodley/Ganton level as far as golf in Yorkshire is concerned, but it’s not far behind and much closer than was the case 5 or 10 years ago.

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2022, 02:47:22 PM »
James

I prefer Moortown because it's more playable than Alwoodley and Ganton. I saw on YouTube that Alwoodley still has silly rough. Although I am led to believe Ganton is planning a long over due clear out.

Ciao

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2022, 02:52:10 PM »
Thanks James,

Just to clarify (I’m sure Clyde will do it himself), the new bunkers of a few years ago were done by Ken Moodie. I’m trying to find out what the plan is since then. It seems clear that Clyde has worked on the 5th. Has he done other work and is there a plan for the years ahead?

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2022, 03:20:29 PM »
Thanks James,

Just to clarify (I’m sure Clyde will do it himself), the new bunkers of a few years ago were done by Ken Moodie. I’m trying to find out what the plan is since then. It seems clear that Clyde has worked on the 5th. Has he done other work and is there a plan for the years ahead?

I think a bunker on 7, near the burn was removed. My impression is that Clyde will continue to fiddle with bunkers here and there.

Ciao

Bruce Katona

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2022, 08:52:19 AM »
I do enjoy Rick Shiels podcasts......I watched his Break 75 at Moortown the other day......good stuff.  Rick has great access to many terrific venues and does book great guests.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back