News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Done and dusted
« Reply #275 on: September 08, 2016, 08:10:04 AM »
Sounds like you all had a good craic in the Emerald Isle

Gutted I had to miss out on all the fun

Other suggestions for future BUDA's

North Wales - Royal St Davids, Aberdovey and Nefyn
Northern France - Le Touquet and Hardelot
Bordeaux/Biarritz - St. Emillion, Golf du Medoc, Chiberta and Biarritz plus a number of vineyards
South West England - Saunton, RND, B&B
Long Island - why not USA?

I am familiar to Bournemouth Area - Isle of Purbeck, Broadstone, Parkstone, Meyrick Park and Ferndown

Like the thought of Mull

Garland Bayley

« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2016, 02:26:23 PM »
Ben,

You were missed. They sent another long driving young buck after me in singles, and I'm still standing.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2016, 07:43:44 PM »
Robin,

I'd like to add my thanks for your great job in organizing this year's BUDA.  And, to Ally for his contributions to booking the various courses.  It was really neat to go around the Kilmore 9 the first time in a group with Ally. What could be better than playing the 5th, 7th and 8th with thunder crashing and rain lashing.  With Ally's guidance and an act of faith, I even managed to clear the Alps! 

It was good to see so many come out this year, although the bad knee contingent seems to be growing each year.  I especially enjoyed playing with Josie and Barbara and having a good match with Tony.

And captaining the NA buggy team  ;D   was certainly a privilege.  It's not about winning but in having a good time playing the games we all love.

Bryan

Jon Byron

« Reply #278 on: September 08, 2016, 07:53:45 PM »
Many thanks again Robin.  Great to play with you and with all of the guys and gals and great to be in Ireland again this time of year. Scotland and England are also fine for me for 2017.
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Niall C

« Reply #279 on: September 09, 2016, 07:53:16 AM »
Let me add my congrats to Robin and Ally for a superb event. Also thanks to all those I met, if only briefly, for a great time.

Ben suggested some venues for a future event and I suggest maybe a new thread might be a good idea for that so I think I'll start that with a copy of Bens post.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2016, 09:45:24 AM »
Ben isn't the Buda an away trip for our USA cousins? There are no shortage of GCA events Stateside.
Cave Nil Vino

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #281 on: September 11, 2016, 12:02:56 PM »
Back home now, and still savoring the spectacular golf at Carne and Enniscrone, as well as the great pleasure of meeting so many warm, interesting people.

Carne was just a blast, particularly the Hackett and Kilmore 9s. I agree the walking was sometimes severe, but I managed to walk every round despite twisting my knee the day before the BUDA began (I admit I would have succumbed to taking a buggy, but for better or worse, they were all spoken for at both courses, and in hindsight I'm glad I walked.)

Deepest thanks to Robin and Ally for being such gracious and engaging hosts. Barbara and I had a wonderful time. I'm still sorting out my thoughts about the six phenomenal courses we played on our trip, but I can safely say Carne was the most fun.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John Mayhugh

« Reply #282 on: September 12, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
Busy trying to get caught up. 

Thanks to Robin & Ally for great arrangements.  Enjoyed each of the courses and all of the company.  It's also worth mentioning the tremendous value offered by this year's Buda, but then there usually is.  You guys certainly got everyone to roll out the red carpet for us.  It was clear how welcome we all were.

It was great having so many people at the same hotel in Belmullet, and I hope that future venues do the same. 

Only my second trip to Ireland.  I found that I like Guinness a lot more than I remembered!

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #283 on: September 15, 2016, 01:14:11 PM »

The late addition of some random pictures from the BUDA trip.

Two of the regular found-ins at Connemara with what I am told was one of the famous hornless unicorns. Or, is that the Lone Ranger about to come over the hill to mount Silver.

A BUDA pest at Mulranney after misjudging the relative width of the (admittedly narrow) bench.

A new bunker under construction at Mulranney.

By the silver seas at Mulranney.

The calm at Belmullet harbour before the storm at Carne.

A view from the Hackett course.

The Atlantic rollers on a beautiful day at Carne.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #284 on: September 15, 2016, 05:28:46 PM »
As can be clearly seen in the last photo, I was standing in a hole.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #285 on: November 19, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »
Bumping this old thread to remind those who were present at the wonderful Buda organised by Ally and Robin at Carne what a terrific time we had.

This just published No Laying Up video, which disappointing doesn’t mention or credit AMcI’s work there, should bring back some splendid memories and provide inspiration to others as all should aim to visit Carne one day - [size=78%]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QyvHOP-[/size]
Atb

RJ_Daley

« Reply #286 on: November 19, 2019, 10:22:07 PM »
What a superior video would have been made if we Buda Cuppers would have had a producer, designated camera man, and a drone!  ;D :o 8) Perhaps some minutes spent recording the dinner discussions of the course and proper attention given to Ally's dedicated contributions working with the Mangans would have been more informative. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2019, 04:48:04 AM »
I really enjoyed that and was looking forward to them giving Ally his rightly deserved credit for the wonderful Kilmore Course. But nothing! They completely overlooked him, giving unwarranted credit to Eddie Hackett, or the spirit of Eddie at least. Such a shame that this egregious oversight should taint an otherwise delightful film.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone

Ben Stephens

« Reply #288 on: November 20, 2019, 04:53:14 AM »
I really enjoyed that and was looking forward to them giving Ally his rightly deserved credit for the wonderful Kilmore Course. But nothing! They completely overlooked him, giving unwarranted credit to Eddie Hackett, or the spirit of Eddie at least. Such a shame that this egregious oversight should taint an otherwise delightful film.

Agree - I have pointed out to No Laying Up on their Instagram that Ally did the Kilmore nine. Would encourage others to do the same.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5DSTC9p5n1/

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #289 on: December 02, 2019, 10:45:51 AM »
Tom Coyne seemed under-informed about the derivation of the Kilmore nine. Acknowledging the delightful Eamon Mangan for his guidance is deserved, but Ally should have gotten the majority of the credit. Instead it seems to be all about Eddie Hackett. The front nine of the Hackett course doesn't begin to prepare you for what lies ahead. The combination of the Hackett back nine and the Kilmore -- now appropriately called the Wild Atlantic course -- is what I would have hoped Ballybunion and Lahinch would have been: 18 crazy wonderful holes. The good news is that this video is bound to attract more visitors to Belmullet, allowing them to buy more tractors.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Thomas Dai

« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2020, 04:26:01 AM »
Those of us who were present for the wonderful Buda at Carne, and even those who weren’t there, might be interested to read this - https://www.golfersjournal.com/the-pandemic-diary/
Sad times.
Good luck Carne (and elsewhere).
Atb

Below - looking west from the 11th tee.

Below - the 18th on the Hackett course
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:22:29 AM by Thomas Dai »

Mike Bodo

« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2020, 08:56:12 AM »
Terrific photos, Bryan! Thanks for posting. Who's the gentlemen wearing the West Virginia University cap in the first photo? I'm thinking he has to be a state-sider that made the trip across the pond. Good on him!  ;) 
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Garland Bayley

« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2020, 11:56:33 AM »
Terrific photos, Bryan! Thanks for posting. Who's the gentlemen wearing the West Virginia University cap in the first photo? I'm thinking he has to be a state-sider that made the trip across the pond. Good on him!  ;)

That would be Steve Wilson, a state sider that organized the Golspie, Brora Buda in 2018. Good on him!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Bodo

« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
Good to know! A future BUDA could be my calling card to make a trip across the pond finally and play 6 - 8 courses while I'm there.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #294 on: August 25, 2020, 05:29:59 AM »
I’ve been away from Carne for a while but I visited yesterday for the first time in 18 months and will again Thursday.

Absolutely delighted to see that the new greenkeeper has put time and effort in to the new 9 holes to the extent that the conditioning is finally close to that of the original 18. Even better to see the now true rolling greens kept at the perfect speed to utilise the quite significant internal contour in some.

We’ve still some mowing line issues (green shrinkage etc...) but with the club now promoting the new Wild Atlantic Dunes course, it is looking very positive for the Kilmore nine after spending its early years on life support.

Just a shame you GCA’ers didn’t see it at its best. Hopefully some of you can return. Please look me up if you do.

(Also make sure to visit Mulranny if you didn’t before. Enjoying a few late evening rounds there again. Fabulous.)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #295 on: August 25, 2020, 06:03:20 AM »
That’s super news Ally. The Kilmore holes are wonderful. I go along with you as to Mulranny as well. Two places that I need to revisit asap.
Atb

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #296 on: August 25, 2020, 06:35:13 AM »
Ally

When can we go? Been waiting a long time to see it looking as you intended. Would like to do that in your company.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #297 on: August 25, 2020, 06:45:13 AM »
Robin,

I’d love it if you could visit. I guess it all comes down to quarantine and your willingness to travel but let’s have a call and talk through a few things?...

Regards the mowing lines, I’ve a final hurdle to get over on Thursday when I meet Fergus... he will have to commit to a bit more mowing (time) if we are to get the aesthetics / playability where we want.

Also, speaking to Gerry, I’ve indicated a few areas of construction work still needed (particularly the first tees across the three nines) so that needs commitment from the club.

But, they played the Pro-Am over the new course, signage is up for it and with footfall, the ball losable rough will start to gradually ease... so, all good.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #298 on: August 25, 2020, 07:34:39 AM »
Ally

I don't think the UK is on your Green List currently, so not possible to visit at this time.

How are the courses being managed currently?

Is the Wild Atlantic Dunes Course now the default 18, with Hackett 1-9 as the ancillary loop, or is it still the Hackett 18, Kimore 9 and WAD for special occasions?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #299 on: August 25, 2020, 07:48:37 AM »
Ally

I don't think the UK is on your Green List currently, so not possible to visit at this time.

How are the courses being managed currently?

Is the Wild Atlantic Dunes Course now the default 18, with Hackett 1-9 as the ancillary loop, or is it still the Hackett 18, Kimore 9 and WAD for special occasions?

Amazingly, they are running both 18’s together by changing over the nines on the Hackett. In other words, everyone plays the first 7 holes and then decides which way they want to go. Does mean that problems could arise on 17 tees (8 on reversed Hackett) but likely works whilst the course isn’t too full.

Not the best long-term solution though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back