News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Final Details
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2016, 12:20:23 AM »
Ha!  Bryan, I must decline under my last cloud of embarrassment having been given the captaincy a number of years ago at a Dixie Cup, having botched the job terribly. 

Going crazy packing... 2 rain jackets, 2 waterproof shoes... and as always - overpacked clothing, likely.   ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2016, 02:05:00 AM »
Colonies,  or whatever we're called, look at your handicap card, and let Bryan know what it says for course handicap. Mine says 19.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2016, 03:28:01 AM »
Bryan

I update the first post with the attendees. At the moment, if everyone shows, we have 12 v 12 at Carne and Enniscrone.

Of course, as a colonial, we may have to co-opt you under the rules of the Commonwealth!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2016, 09:10:42 AM »
My home course handicap is 13.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2016, 09:34:34 AM »
In a slump, have risen to USGA 15.x home course 17.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #255 on: August 28, 2016, 05:52:23 PM »
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2016, 06:06:24 PM »
So, Steve, that translates into what... 15 or 16 shots?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #257 on: August 28, 2016, 06:27:12 PM »
Handicap 12.2, on my home course 14.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #258 on: August 29, 2016, 03:05:43 AM »
Home course handicaps shall apply, unless a Course Handicap table is posted.

Significantly, a change in Matchplay 'shots' rule now applies in Ireland: See the bottom of post for statement from the Irish Golf Union website.

There is also a calculation to be done to ascertain the Greensome handicap of a team, which can only be calculated on a table found in the 114 page CONGU handicapping guide! It's on page 73, so if we can get a broadband signal we can work it out accurately. Full allowance between the team handicaps.

Full allowance in stroke play.

10% of combined handicaps in Texas scramble. Total divided by two as we're only playing 9 holes.

in match play the back marker now concedes strokes to the other three players based on 90% of the difference between the full handicaps rather than 75% (3/4) as at present.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #259 on: August 29, 2016, 03:09:40 AM »
One other thing to note folks is that Irish courses are measured in metres, so if you're coming up 10% short all the time you know why.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #260 on: August 29, 2016, 04:42:25 AM »
One other thing to note folks is that Irish courses are measured in metres, so if you're coming up 10% short all the time you know why.

Unfortunately not that simple. Some are measured in yards, some are measured in metres. Most have distances to the front but some have distances to the middle.

Carne is in metres but I think Enniscrone is in yards.

Couple of other points of note just in case people are disappointed:

1. We are not going to be able to play the Carne Composite course in the sequence envisioned. This sequence (which I'm happy to explain to any who will listen) eradicated awkward crossovers. Instead we will be playing Back 9 / Kilmore 9 on the Sunday morning.

2. Due to lack of resources and an unusually bad winter, the Kilmore nine lay closed up until July this year. As a result, the conditioning has gone slightly backwards and the presentation (e.g. fairway and green mowing lines, bunker maintenance) are not quite what was envisioned with the design intent. However the lads have been working hard at it these past couple of weeks so I'm sure it will be close to where it was a year ago.

Excuses out of the way, fingers now crossed for the weather.

Ally

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #261 on: August 29, 2016, 05:05:02 AM »
Cork is in metres, Dooks is in yards - it all depends on the number of American tourists visiting :)

So far Waterville takes the biscuit, they even have a USGA Course Rating and Slope. While Ballybunion in a well-meaning, but misguided effort to please Americans renamed their SSS number into Course Rating.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:07:26 AM by Ulrich Mayring »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #262 on: August 29, 2016, 06:07:24 PM »
Oh, another unexpected thing about Ireland... don't forget your sun-screen!

My wife giggled when she saw me packing the 50+ factor bottle and asked whether those sunny spells even last long enough to apply the stuff. Well, all I can say is that I'm fine and she's paying the price. And I mean that literally: 38 Euros in an Irish pharmacy today and she has to wear long sleeves and my rain gloves now :)

Ulrich

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #263 on: September 06, 2016, 07:04:39 AM »
BUDA should be over by now. I travelled down for two nights only and for the most part, we got away with the weather.

Great to meet everyone, old faces and new alike.

I'll let the others give us a lowdown on who won.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #264 on: September 06, 2016, 01:11:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure who won, although I don't know how the results got in last night - yes, night :)

Somebody must have been playing slow at Enniscrone! Anyhow, I immensely enjoyed the event and want to put out my sincere thanks to the organisers. Everything worked out fine and we got some really good golf in. However, as far as I'm concerned enough courses were left unplayed for another Buda Cup as well!

cheers,

Ulrich

Garland Bayley

« Reply #265 on: September 06, 2016, 03:35:15 PM »
I headed for Sligo and a new hotel before the matches were done, but they tell me today that NA won. We played County Sligo, and Strandhill today. IMO Strandhill is the must see here.
Ally and Robin organized a great event that I really enjoyed. Thanks so much for your effort.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Robin_Hiseman

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Done and dusted
« Reply #266 on: September 07, 2016, 07:33:32 AM »
All good things must come to an end and so it is with our adventures in the dunes at Mulranny, Carne and Enniscrone. Some intrepid golfers are continuing their journeys around Ireland, whilst others have headed home. To each I send my sincere thanks for venturing so far to make this year's BUDA so very enjoyable. It was fun to arrange with Ally, but the really rewarding part was to see everybody enjoying the exciting golf on offer.

On balance, we were very fortunate with the weather and got to see both Carne and Enniscrone in the best links conditions, although we saw just how vicious it can be when it takes a turn for the worse.

The meals were tremendous and I shall be writing to Carne to thank Luke and his team for an exceptional meal and service on Saturday night.

I hope everybody found the itinerary struck a fair balance between golf time and social time. 27 holes in those dunes was, I think, about as much as one could enjoy playing in a day.

The Texas scramble on Ennicrone's Scurmore course was great fun and maybe something we can repeat at an appropriate venue. It was also nice to play a course that was not too difficult, amongst the pretty relentless challenges of two of Ireland's most  demanding links.

I hope the courses have left you with good memories and the thought that you may return in the future. Speaking as a member of Carne, I know Eamon shall be delighted to welcome you there again in the future and please tell others how much fun you had so that they may seek it out for themselves.

The BUDA Cup has become an ingrained part of golfclubatlas lore and I hope this years' event has gone down well with all who came. It was good to see new faces amongst the familiar crowd and I hope we shall see more newcomers in the future. Apologies to anybody who felt they were matched up against the same opponent too often. It was those pesky guys who insisted on carts that made it complicated!

We were not especially vigilant with keeping track of the score, but we declared the result as a 1 point win in favour of the North American continent, thanks to a 7.5 - 4.5 comeback in the singles. Captain Izatt's stellar play on the final day was decisive.

Well done all. See you next year.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #267 on: September 07, 2016, 07:50:51 AM »
Many thanks, Robin to you and Ally.  I'm inured to the brilliance of BUDAs and this was one of the best, but Josie was a newbie and she also declared it to be one of the best holidays of our life.  It was great for her and Barbara to join us male golf nuts, and I hope that in future we will have more wives, partners and bidie-ins in the future.  Speaking of which.....

...any thoughts on next year?  Is anybody in the queue?  If not, ideas?

Rich

Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #268 on: September 07, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Rich

We had a bit of a chat in the pub later on re 2017 venues.

On the table so far are: Kington (plus one), possibly Church Stretton, or Ludlow. A rustic BUDA.
Machrihanish, Mach Dunes and Dunaverty.
Brancaster, Hunstanton.
Lossiemouth, Cullen plus Boat of Garten?
Goswick, Bamburgh Castle
Gullane courses
Bournemouth area

i like the idea of Machrihanish very much. Also Kington. The others ain't bad either.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2016, 11:56:56 AM »
Rich

We had a bit of a chat in the pub later on re 2017 venues.

On the table so far are: Kington (plus one), possibly Church Stretton, or Ludlow. A rustic BUDA.
Machrihanish, Mach Dunes and Dunaverty.
Brancaster, Hunstanton.
Lossiemouth, Cullen plus Boat of Garten?
Goswick, Bamburgh Castle
Gullane courses
Bournemouth area

i like the idea of Machrihanish very much. Also Kington. The others ain't bad either.

Thanks, Niall.

My vote is for the Mull of Kintyre, but Lossie et. al. would do in a pinch.

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Rich Goodale

« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2016, 12:00:34 PM »
PS--MofK ONLY if we have a place at the new Mach Dunes complex.

Campbeltown is scary.....
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2016, 12:49:01 PM »
Thank you Robin and Ally for organising a terrific event. Delightful golf, meals, accommodation and probably most memorable of all, the craic and meeting and enjoying the company of posters and others, some I'd met before, some I'd not. A few PM's will be sent over the next few days.

Some thoughts on the courses -

Mulranny - a real surprise. Rural and rustic and mowed/nibbled by sheep and only 9-holes but so what? Damn fine terrain, holes and routing, frequently very severe green complexes and a wonderfully scenic location. I reckon it should be compulsory for would-be architects, constructors, shapers and the like to visit and study Mulranny.

Carne - I'm biased as I loved the place, all 27-holes of it, on my previous visit and am even more fond of it following this trip of several plays. As to any shortfalls, I would suggest these are essentially conditioning and mowing line related on the newer and epically routed 3rd-9 and could be relatively easily overcome with a bit of desire, some more money and a corresponding increase in manpower etc plus some help from the weather, which has over several months now been pretty unkind. Wonderful location, numerous epic holes, fine 27-hole routing etc. Carne is additionally a very friendly place with a unique almost mystical atmosphere. I shall return and recommend others to visit asap.

Enniscrone - I liked this course, tough and somewhat split-personality that it is, even severe in some places, on my previous visit and still consider it under-appreciated in comparison to other more famous links. The conditioning was excellent. Later edit - the revised 2nd green is much better than what was there before. Well done Clyde!

County Sligo/Rosses Point - I didn't play the Champioship course so can't comment on the changes made since my previous visit when, although I liked it, I perferred both Carne and Enniscrone to CS-RP. I did play the 9-hole Bomore course though. Very flat terrain, quite a few ditches, lots of gorse, a great dogleg par-5 and some good green complexes. I wouldn't drive a long distance to just play the Bomore but if nearby with the odd hour or so to spare or as a warm-up before playing the Championship course it's worth playing. A thoroughly nice relief course to have for young juniors, novices and those getting on in years or with limitations. If the land is available more clubs should have second courses like the Bomore.

Strandhill - a real surprise. Much better than I'd expected, pretty hilly too, and very good conditioning. Some terrific holes and great mogul terrain in many places, like the wonderful par-5 5th hole. Great scenic views. I'd like to play this course again, especially when more than just the bunker upgrades Ally is hoping to introduce to the course are completed.

Great trip.

Atb
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:26:39 AM by Thomas Dai »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
What David said, with the caveat that long walks between holes downgrades where applicable..

As I posted elsewhere, Mulranny is way cool.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2016, 04:48:16 PM »
What David said, with the caveat that long walks between holes downgrades where applicable..

Well pointed out Garland.

Although much of the terrain on each of the courses, Mulranny apart, is severe and thus doesn't necessarily lend itself to a next-tee immediately adjacent to a last-green scenario, in general terms this aspect was made far worse by many green-to-next-tee walks having either poor or non-existent signposting. "Where do we go next" was a not unheard remark even from those carrying their bags, which shouldn't be the case.

Most of the courses did allow buggies to go pretty close to the greens, which is pretty essential for players with physical limitations, but Enniscrone was awful in this respect as buggies were in several places not allowed within 30-40 yds of the greens. Poor form IMO and something they ought to attend to as this aspect was equally poor on my last visit.

Poor player pathway angles, poor signposting and limited buggy territory, even in places where safety is not a concern, also slows the game down, the more-so when visitors are playing.

Atb

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:53:31 PM by Thomas Dai »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #274 on: September 07, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »
Robin,

Many thanks to you and Aly for organizing such an outstanding Buda. I don't know how it could have been much better. Everything was so well thought out and planned.

Well done!!!

The turnout was excellent and it was wonderful having Josie and Barbara join the outing. I hope they will continue to participate.

As for future venues... I vote for Mach and Mach Dunes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back