News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Re: 18 Hole Courses that add 9
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »
Athens CC (Ross, 1926) added a George Cobb 9 in the late '70's. The new nine is seen as a relief nine.

Cherokee T&CC added a new nine in late sixties and then another nine in the late eighties. The original 18 holes is still the best 18, though some of the original holes have been interwoven with some of the new ones.

Bob

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 09:44:35 PM »
Farmington CC in Charlottesvillle added nine and I don't think anyone thinks it is worth a look.
Philadelphia CC added nine and it is completely overshadowed by what Flynn created
Carne, I love that place but if I go back <10% of the reason is to see the new holes

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Patrick Schultheis

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 12:58:32 AM »
I believe that Sahalee had its three 9-hole loops built from the beginning. For members' regular play, they alternate the 9s for a daily 18 hole usage. For tournaments, they regularly use the same two 9s (North and South, I believe - but am not 100% sure).

Of course, my main criticism of Sahalee is that so many of the holes are alike that few distinguish themselves - on all three 9s. Just a bunch of long, narrow, tree-lined holes

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 05:08:58 AM »
Carne, I love that place but if I go back <10% of the reason is to see the new holes

May I ask why?

Don Jordan

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 05:25:03 AM »
Joondalup Country Club in Western Australia did a pretty good job when they added the lakes nine to the quarry and dune nines.

Royal Canberra has done it, it cops a lot of criticism because it is very different. It is not a particularly great piece of land and far too many mounds for my liking. However having said that I quite like the fact that it is different, as a member it gives me the opportunity to play something different.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 04:47:49 AM »

May I ask why?

The new nine is now my favourite nine at Carne. It has some of the best holes and the greens are a lot more interesting.
John Marr(inan)

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 05:01:18 AM »

Does anyone have examples of an additional 9 holes improving the quality of a golf facility?

So long as clubs set a firm policy of an 18 holer and a 9 holer I can see no reason why 27 hoels couldn't work. The worst thing for a club to do is act as if the 3 nines are interchangable.  Call a spade a spade. 

Ciao
Commercially interchangeable nines are the best thing provided the nines are equal in quality and have returning nines. Having equal quality 18/36 holers is the same commercial principle. It all fails if there is a distinctive 'lesser nine or lesser eighteen' that is a bit of a dissapointment, length of the lesser course is a quite dominant factor.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Chris Pearson

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »
Onion Creek Club in Austin had 18 Jimmy Demaret-designed holes for over 25 years, and then Crenshaw added another 9 in the early 2000s. The original routing is fun (though somewhat tainted by gratuitous overuse of OB stakes), and the Crenshaw 9 just takes further advantage of an exceptional landscape in southwest Austin.

I think the Crenshaw 9 enhances the profile of the club and also gives members a source of architectural pride that they wouldn't have with a Demaret 18. Oh, and the holes are fun, too :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back