News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

That's it, that's the question - as simple and direct as can be.

If there was an exact double of you, the same in every way (health, income, personality, life span, golfing skills etc), who lived and played golf in any other time in history, would you trade places with him?

If so, when would said doppelganger have been around?

Peter

Terry Lavin

Walter Hagen. Strut 'n putt.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Pavy

Let's just put the internet aside for one minute......

It's still difficult to leave the present time with the abundance of affordable golf and travel. If I had to choose, I'd probably pick the 1980's, partly because of the stature of golf, but more so because it was just a great decade.

Peter Pallotta

Terry: the Roaring Twenties. The Jazz Age. Bootleg whiskey, speakeasies, Chicago Golf Club, Capone, political graft and corruption, flappers, early steel shafts, and big fast cars -- very nice!! Yup, I can see it Judge :)

But - would you have enjoyed the golf as much?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:56:12 PM by PPallotta »

Rich Goodale

I am highly impressed that The Judge rates his golfing skills as comparable to The Haig's!

Memo to self:  Ask for many, many strokes if and when I ever get back to Chicago.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Phil Young

No way. If I did I would have missed the two Opens and the upcoming PGA & Ryder Cup at the Black... As far as I'm concerned, to quote the line from the song... for me, "These are the best of times..."

Jon Wiggett

Here in the UK its hard to look past the late 70's early 80's. Great access and cheap GFs at most courses. As a junior I played Ganton, Alwoodley, Lindrick, Notts, Moortown, Fulford for £2 for a day ticket but had to splash out to play Lytham and Birkdale at the heady cost of £3. Halcyon days :). Otherwise it would be the late fifties early sixties as the chance to play the original Moorallerton is very tempting.

Jon

BCrosby

I would come back in 1935. The best Golden Age courses still existed in something like their original form and were happy to collect guest green fees.

Off the top of my head I would most like to play ANGC, Garden City, PVGC, Prince's, Lido, Timber Point, Sunningdale (w/ the Simpson changes) and Lakeside (Behr, Los Angeles). 

Bob

Peter Pallotta

Jon, Bob -- very nice as well. 2 pounds for a day ticket?! Wow.
I'm surprised that I find myself leaning towards saying "no" to trading places -- too much good golf around today. But there is one era/place that keeps drawing me:
The mid 30s, Walton Heath, when James Braid there.
Of course, if my doppelganger was really my doppelganger, it was not a club that would have me for a member!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 08:46:08 AM by PPallotta »

Jud_T

Uh, no.  I'd likely be denied access to all but a handful of clubs...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Would you trade places with your golfing doppelgänger from any other era?
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 03:49:20 PM »
Post WWII Los Angeles at Hillcrest CC so I could witness the "Round Table" at lunch and then play some golf:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillcrest_Round_Table
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »
Great choice, Steve!

In David Steinberg's words: "Hillcrest is a little like an inverted New York Athletic Club: there is no discrimination, but it sure helps if you’re Jewish and a comedian.” 

Peter

Bob Montle

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
St. Andrews
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

paul cowley

Well for me it would be when black powder, whiskey and wenches were in vogue....at N Berwick, Lahinch and the like....when the game was younger and less complicated.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 07:56:18 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

GLawson

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 05:29:35 AM »
I think playing Wilshire with Howard Hughes would have been fun...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back