News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Spears

Re: Golf Digest Best in State- Illinois
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »
John,
Maybe you should read my post again. I never said there wasnt good public golf in Chicago. Nor did I say it wasnt affordable. I simply stated that there is nothing remotely close to a top 100 public track in Illinois. And then I made the comment that surrounding states have better quality tracks. Whether it be public or resort, its still available to anyone who wants to play. And why would you call me an outsider? What are you referring to? And lastly, "screw YOUR wisconsin resorts", well, theyre not MY resorts. I dont live in Wisconsin and I dont own them. So R. E. L. A. X. my man, all I was pointing out is that I wish Illinois or the Chicago area had a top 100 public track, or something even close to it. Have a good day.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 02:12:04 PM »
Nick,

I read your post the same way and agree with you.  I wish we had more quality public courses/resorts in Illinois, but we simply do not have much.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PThomas

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
-
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:56:55 PM by PThomas »
198 played, only 2 to go!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 02:54:31 PM »
Illinois did have a couple of top 100 public tracts until the Rater's had a change of heart. Kemper and Cog to be exact. Poor Cog made the fatal mistake of aeriating before a GolfWeek Rater event. Oh, the shame of it all.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 03:50:44 PM »
Illinois did have a couple of top 100 public tracts until the Rater's had a change of heart. Kemper and Cog to be exact. Poor Cog made the fatal mistake of aeriating before a GolfWeek Rater event. Oh, the shame of it all.
Kemper has been private for several years now- its good but would struggle to crack top 25 in Chicago. As far as Cog is concerned, the last renovation turned out pretty mediocre- bunkers pretty much suck. Highlands of Elgin, Shepards Crook, Pine Meadows and Ravisloe are much more enjoyable places to spend a day IMO.

Jason Way

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »
Could access be an issue with Old Elm with not enough raters having a chance to see it?
Probably so. They were closed last year as well. While I'm at it, the new version is much better than the prior iteration. The short grass around all of the greens has lent a new look and four or more shots in difficulty. The bunker work by Dave Zinkland is exceptional. It wasn't a Top Ten in town before, but it is now. All of the flab is gone, revealing those awesome Colt bones.

Yeah, I agree totally. A fantastic piece of work by Drew Rogers.

In the interest of giving credit where it's due for this incredible transformation at Old Elm, let's not forget Curtis James, the Superintendent.  That cat is the real deal.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

J_ Crisham

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »
Could access be an issue with Old Elm with not enough raters having a chance to see it?
Probably so. They were closed last year as well. While I'm at it, the new version is much better than the prior iteration. The short grass around all of the greens has lent a new look and four or more shots in difficulty. The bunker work by Dave Zinkland is exceptional. It wasn't a Top Ten in town before, but it is now. All of the flab is gone, revealing those awesome Colt bones.

In the interest of giving credit where it's due for this incredible transformation at Old Elm, let's not forget Curtis James, the Superintendent.  That cat is the real deal.
2nd hole at Old Elm may be the best par 4 in Chicago now.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 04:09:29 PM »

Yessum. Great team effort.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 05:11:19 PM »
Other than TPC Deere Run, is there a course outside of the Chicago area?

Sad to see Annbriar in Waterloo fall off, really good course with a touching history behind it.
http://www.golfdigest.com/story/annbriar-golf-course-shedloski

And St. Clair CC in Belleville should be worthy of some votes after Kye Goalby's updates.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
I've heard good things about Weaver Ridge near Peoria.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 10:57:01 PM »
This is an odd list for sure.  I'm not going to comment on Rich Harvest or Canyata since I haven't played them.  Not sure how Merit Club or Cantigny made the list.  Could list a number of courses that are much better that aren't on the list.  Also Flossmoor is way too low, it should at least switch spots with Dubsdread (Cog No. 4).

Matthew Sander

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 11:22:08 PM »
This is an odd list for sure.  I'm not going to comment on Rich Harvest or Canyata since I haven't played them.  Not sure how Merit Club or Cantigny made the list.  Could list a number of courses that are much better that aren't on the list.  Also Flossmoor is way too low, it should at least switch spots with Dubsdread (Cog No. 4).

You know, I always say that Cantigny is about as pleasant of a walk as you'll find. It really is an impressive facility that anyone would find enjoyable. The golf course (all 27 holes) just isn't all that inspiring, IMHO. There are a handful of holes that are quite good, and the green at the par 3 8th (Lakeside) is one of the best you'll find in the entire region. However, I find the charm of Cantigny more related to the walk in a beautiful park, rather than well-designed/strategic golf.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
I've heard good things about Weaver Ridge near Peoria.

I think it's fine, but probably doesn't belong on this list.  A clear step down from TPC Deere Run IMO. 

I'd go 7-3 or 8-2 CC of Peoria (post renovation) vs Weaver Ridge, and I think CC of Peoria falls (just) outside the top 25 as well. 

If we really use the Doak scale, which says:

5.  Well above the average golf course, but the middle of my scale.  A good course to choose if you're in the vicinity and looking for a game, but don't spend another day away from home to see it, unless your home is in Alaska.
6.  A very good course, definitely worth a game if you're in town, but not necessarily worth a special trip to see.  It shouldn't disappoint you.

I would say that there really are a lot of 5's and 6's in Illinois, and it probably is hard to distinguish between them.  That said, I think there are a couple 4's, or low 5's on this list that are ranked ahead of a few clear 6 and in one case higher, IMO. 

Matthew Sander

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2015, 09:43:10 PM »
Shiv,

I tend to agree with you. There are very few, if any, great public courses in the area. My juvenile response is...so what? There are plenty of adequate/good accessible courses around and I'm not sure why we should feel entitled to world-class. Courses like Ravisloe, Pine Meadow, HofE, and a slew of others are every bit as good as they need to be.

I'm really looking forward to checking out Mt. Prospect this fall...

PCCraig

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »
Shivas,

You lost me at Winnetka... 
H.P.S.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »
Pat, that's a perfectly adequate and playable golf course to 99% of the golfing world.
Dave- that is true but you forget that Pat is a1 per center :)

Jud_T

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2015, 06:21:16 PM »
Pretty funny-  my kid was going to try out for the golf team till he played the tight Langford layout at Winnetka where his school practices and plays and decided to row instead...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Burnes

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2015, 07:22:12 AM »
So you play 5 courses in Chicago land, what are they?  (Assuming CG is one) ...

Jud_T

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »

Shoreacres
CGC
Old Elm
Skokie
Black Sheep
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 08:46:46 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2015, 07:15:37 AM »
Wow...this list is VERY questionable.
Most "point/counter-points" about this have been covered above.

I echo those who say that Chicago is a fantastic place to play very solid public courses. David Scmidt offers a perfect summary.

No, there are no big resorts on par with French Lick ( where I believe financing is available for rounds there...;-), or Wisconsisn. Eagle Ridge in Galena has 3 courses that are fun but not great.

But, as for private courses, Jud and Terry have pretty much nailed it.
Chicago has a very small "tier 1" but a strong "tier 2". For those who dig deep into the history of Ross, Bendelow, Colt (or Allison, I forget sorry), you will see a deep roster that make the robust second tier. The clubs on this list tend to leap frog each other as ren/restorations are undertaken. MOST of them would knock out Ivanhoe, Cantigny, Merit (most over-rated in district) Wynnstone and maybe others.

just returned yesterday from 5 days at Dornoch.
Hard to write much more with memories so fresh.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2015, 07:33:00 AM »

Based on quality of course

Chicago
Shoreacres
Black Sheep
Butler
OFCC

Never played Old Elm, but i assume it would be on the list

Based on quality of experience

Black Sheep
Chicago
OFCC North
Shoreacres
Flossmoor / Bob O Link / St. Charles

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:35:08 AM by Mark Johnson »

Steve Green

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 12:10:39 AM »

Shore Acres
Beverly
Exmoor
Old Elm
Skokie

and Chicago Golf

Surprised Beverly is not getting mentioned.  Shore Acres is a gem.  Beverly is a tough combination of 18 memorable holes.  Old Elm is a great deal of fun which has been restored to something very special.  Exmoor and Skokie are just classics.

Would be more than content with this list.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back