News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

Tree varieties on courses - many or few?
« on: June 05, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »
Two philosophies regarding the number of tree species appropriate for a golf course seem to coexist:

1 - limit the number of species so the course doesn't resemble an arboretum. Such an approach lends a "theme" that more precisely aligns with goals for that particular golfscape

or

2 - ensure a large variety of trees so that a species-specific arboreal blight will not wipe them all out

Which philosophy should predominate?
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Joel_Stewart

Re: Tree varieties on courses - many or few?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 04:53:10 PM »
A couple of years ago I tried to buy a private club. The club had completed a tree inventory a few years before.  They had over 3000 trees with 80 different species. 60 of those had 1 tree.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 05:54:21 PM »
Do everything in moderation.

If you have only a few species, then a pathogen like the Elm Bark Beetle or the Emerald Ash Borer might wipe out a large portion of your landscape.  But if you plant too many - and especially exotic varieties - the whole place starts to look unnatural.

It's kind of a silly question, though, since we don't normally plant a lot of trees on new courses, because nobody wants to wait that long for the course to look mature.  We tend to work with whatever already exists. 

I guess it's a fair question in regard to consulting work, and what sorts of trees to keep or take away.

John Connolly

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 06:41:38 PM »
Do everything in moderation.

If you have only a few species, then a pathogen like the Elm Bark Beetle or the Emerald Ash Borer might wipe out a large portion of your landscape.  But if you plant too many - and especially exotic varieties - the whole place starts to look unnatural.

It's kind of a silly question, though, since we don't normally plant a lot of trees on new courses, because nobody wants to wait that long for the course to look mature.  We tend to work with whatever already exists. 

I guess it's a fair question in regard to consulting work, and what sorts of trees to keep or take away.

It's a question posed for your last comment - really for tree programs at established courses. When approaching tree management for an old club, decisions need to be made regarding tree removal and, where appropriate, planting. Clearly, more than just tree variety has to be considered when formulating the approach but the specific question of speciation has always intrigued me.

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Dave McCollum

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 08:36:32 PM »
Interesting question that I’m not qualified to answer.  Our course is part of a pioneer fruit orchard, literally part of the first settlement in this area.  We still have fruit trees to preserve the legacy.  However, many fast growing poplars and other non indigenous trees were planted in those days (it was essentially a sagebrush desert in the 1880’s) to “civilize” the country to promote settlement and development, at least that’s my unsubstantiated theory.  When our original 9-hole course was designed, specimen trees, mostly poplars, were incorporated into the strategy of the holes.  Now, a hundred years later, the poplars are at the end of their shelf life and dying.  Once water is applied to a desert, all kinds of volunteer trees appear, mostly invasive, non indigenous, that don’t fit the landscape.  My unprofessional take is that Tom is right that solid design should be focused on what’s there and what “native or natural” to the landscape and, in our case, we would be better off now if the golf course had not been designed and maintained around a bunch planted and introduced species, however mature or historic.  Our golfers and deer can graze on apples, pears, cherries, peaches, and so on, but I think the course would be better if the design had instead focused on the native environment.  Now, of course, we have to manage trees every year because we grow grass in a desert where water was never a reliable element and the trees have taken advantage.   I don’t hate trees and golf courses where they belong, shade in the summer is good thing here, but I think we’re a good example of why trees and golf must be a carefully crafted and purposeful composition, thinking very long term about the consequences.  In other words, best left to professionals not golfers, consumers, or developers.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:52:07 AM »
John,

The first consideration would generally be the soil profile and characteristics of the course design.
Speciman quality, be it existing or newly introduced, certainly should be a priority.
A solid arborist, with an appreciation for what exists,  and the ability to provide a balanced approach to your tree management program would be an investment worth making.
Many facilities wing it,  or take a low ball approach to adressing the tree issues impacting the course and property in general.
As I learned from a seasoned
 mentor many years ago, " It often gets expensive to go cheap."

IM me if you need more input or would like to discuss options.
Cheers,
Kris 8)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:56:00 AM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 03:19:24 AM »
Indigenous vegetation, whatever that might be. With very occasional exceptions, a golf course should _always_ reflect its location, and that means, if you need to plant, plant species native and appropriate to the area. And no bloody ornamentals. It is a golf course, not a garden. Or an arboretum.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John Connolly

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 09:13:27 AM »
Thanks all.

Indigenous I get. We are a midwestern "parkland" course that has made great progress with removal of understory growth, shrubbery and dead trees. We are having an arborist visit in the next few weeks for a tree inventory. We have large populations of oak, maple, locust and some ash (if you can believe it). We even have a few beautiful elms. But then we also have large conifers including firs, spruces and pines. These conifers seem incongruous with the other hardwoods mentioned and seem inappropriate on our property. At least in this enthusiast's mind. But is there a need to dissect down ever further and concentrate our hardwood speciation, e.g. emphasize oaks and elms over maples and locusts? Or is that cutting it too finely? I imagine much of this will depend on hole strategy and turf health in heavily populated areas.

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

JNagle

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 11:09:51 AM »
John -

Many great comments posted throughout the discussion.  We often look to see what is doing well on a course.  Then we have to look at soil conditions.  Dry uplands vs. low lying wet areas.  We also have to look at proximity to play, canopy density (shade casting....) and rooting habits (deep vs. surface).  Fast growing tend to be weak wooded and often will cause problems in the future.  Leaf drop is also a factor as one must consider Fall golf and maintenance and place of play.  You mentioned the evergreens on your property.  I have stated on a course or two that if its green in the Winter it should be removed.  That's a somewhat tongue in cheek approach but serves many clubs well.  There are times that some evergreens are important but not often.  Being a Midwest club limits the ability to have fine specimens.  Often we see the majority of the trees being Silver Maple, Norway Maples, Honeylocust, Poplars, Cottonwoods, lesser varieties of Elms, Pin Oaks and others. 

The approach to trees on an existing course can be extensive and expensive when properly implemented.  The days of just planting en masse without regard to a multitude of factors are gone.

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 05:01:25 PM »
John,

Yours is a good question and you have gotten some useful advice, especially right above by Jim.  Lot to consider and most landscape architects will develop go to plant lists of a few plant types that address requirements of the design AND fit the local climate.

On a purely aesthetic level, once I have that list for various course areas, I keep in mind something a decorator once told me about how many colors to use in a house - generally 3, in a 50-40-10 or 60-30-10, or 65-30-5% ratio, so there is dominant tree, secondary tree, and occasional highlight/accent tree.  Of course, this is  by area/environment, a la, low, high, etc., so the total number of species is 2 to 4 x each type where they work.

Working at one Midwest course where they believe a few conifers would add accent to the landscape, even if not quite natural.  Hard to argue that there are a few locations on many courses where a full screen can only be attained with evergreens, and when considering early spring or late fall golf, Midwest courses can look pretty bare, and for those players (granted, not a large percentage of play) some color contrast might be nice.

Landscapers have used blue spruce, etc. around the Midwest, most probably consider them native.  They are certainly well adapted and hardy in most cases, and that is what most really care about over the theory of native plants.

Just my$0.02.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:12:59 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Justin VanLanduit

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 09:05:52 PM »
Thanks all.

Indigenous I get. We are a midwestern "parkland" course that has made great progress with removal of understory growth, shrubbery and dead trees. We are having an arborist visit in the next few weeks for a tree inventory. We have large populations of oak, maple, locust and some ash (if you can believe it). We even have a few beautiful elms. But then we also have large conifers including firs, spruces and pines. These conifers seem incongruous with the other hardwoods mentioned and seem inappropriate on our property. At least in this enthusiast's mind. But is there a need to dissect down ever further and concentrate our hardwood speciation, e.g. emphasize oaks and elms over maples and locusts? Or is that cutting it too finely? I imagine much of this will depend on hole strategy and turf health in heavily populated areas.

Look at the maintenance involved with the tree specious.  Maples and locust seem to be very messy with seed pods etc... along with shallow roots.  Great amounts of labor is needed to clean up after the trees as well as routine root pruning of their invasive shallow roots.  That is one thing that nobody considered back in the hay day of planting.  Each spring we battle cleaning up samarans from Maples that were planted around greens, tees and fairways.  Absolute mess.  Granted all trees have their share of cleanup but Maples top that list along with Lindens and Locusts.  Have your arborist classify that in their report as well so you have a database for the trees that will give you the most problems.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back