News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Good winter golf & why
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
One of the more unusual winter greens is that on the Postage Stamp at Royal Troon, which utilises a former green on the back of the hill to the left of the normal green.

Mark

It's also a cracking hole in it's own right even if the green is a wee bit mossy. BTW, I always thought it was built as a winter green as before the postage stamp was built the hole played from the present 8th tee towards roughly where the 9th green is now.

Niall

Giles Payne

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »
I like bracing winter golf on firm courses, I do not like soft muddy winter golf with lots of worm casts.

The best draining courses can be great fun.

Giles, how does Huntercombe play in the winter?

It was great in the summer!

Bill

Not quite as firm as the summer but it holds up very well as it is on chalk right at the top of the Chilterns. The combination of this and the wind helps it dry out reasonably well.

G

Sam Krume

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »
I think my absolute favourite winter golf experience was playing Rye a couple of days after Christmas a few years ago. We were staying with the outlaws in Kent and in order to escape the horrors of family Christmas, I'd arranged with a golf architect mate to go to Rye. We got to the club about 0930; it was a perfectly clear, though cold, winter's day. We said hi to the secretary, and noting a sign saying 'Frost Delay' by the clubhouse, which was packed, expressed concern that we might struggle to get out once he opened the course. 'No,' he said. 'This lot will be gone in no time'. About ten the course was opened for play, and the assembled members disappeared to various points to start their round, effectively an informal shotgun. Fifteen minutes later we ambled to the first tee. There was a group just putting out on the hole but no-one else in sight, so we teed up.

Two hours and forty five minutes later we finished a wonderful round that included one of the best golf shots I've ever seen, from my friend, on the par three fourteenth. A brutal wind was against us and from the left, so he hit a quite magnificent five iron that drew into the wind and smacked down into the green, four feet from the pin. We had hardly encountered a soul during our round.

Returning to the clubhouse at 1pm we found lunch in full swing, with more bottles of red being consumed that I have seen before or since at a golf club. It was that day that I formulated my desire to create a new course ranking list -- The 100 Hardest Drinking Clubs.

Love rye at any time of the year. Following on from bday golf we will be getting a few seaside rounds in between xmas & the new year. A bit of Deal(midweek £60...yippee) and littlestone....can't wait.

Sam Krume

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 04:04:16 PM »
Adam, also forgot love your idea of drinking clubs. With that I would like to put at no 1 my old club, Epsom. Count how many g&t's by the number of limes in your glasses...I think my record was 26 limes!!!!!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »
Ah, that special feeling in the fingers only achievable from a blade long iron hit low out of the toe early on a frosty winters morning. That special feeling that remains in your fingers for 18 more holes, maybe even for several days/weeks/months.

As to courses, well good UK parkland winter golf? I remain to be convinced that there is such a thing!

Heathland courses without damp areas, yes. Links courses, especially those located further south, yes, often very much so, unless that is the ground is (unusually) frozen or a strong cold northerly wind is blowing.

Now here's a question - when greens are frozen should temporary greens be in operation?

And another question, are the winter play gloves that have been available in pro-shops for a year or so any good and if so which ones are best?

Atb

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 04:25:08 PM »
Winter is my fave time, no people to get in my way!

Ryan Coles

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 04:53:54 PM »
Ah, that special feeling in the fingers only achievable from a blade long iron hit low out of the toe early on a frosty winters morning. That special feeling that remains in your fingers for 18 more holes, maybe even for several days/weeks/months.

As to courses, well good UK parkland winter golf? I remain to be convinced that there is such a thing!

Heathland courses without damp areas, yes. Links courses, especially those located further south, yes, often very much so, unless that is the ground is (unusually) frozen or a strong cold northerly wind is blowing.

Now here's a question - when greens are frozen should temporary greens be in operation?

And another question, are the winter play gloves that have been available in pro-shops for a year or so any good and if so which ones are best?

Atb

Re: Winter Greens for Frost, it's a matter of opinion. The only real consensus is when a deep thaw is occurring and root shear is likely.

Some greenkeepers come off every chance they get, some see no adverse effects.

Will Lozier

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2015, 10:51:29 PM »
am booked in to play west hill gc on my birthday(22/12), £55 coffee,bacon bap and 18 holes. I think this represents great value on a course that still plays fairly firm through the winter as I seem to recall. The much valued ground game can still be enjoyed here.

Sam,

I played West Hill at least 10-12 times over the course of the 2004 school year when I taught/coached at TASIS in Thorpe and my AD was/is a member. I think it is a gem that doesn't get the same respect as it's fellow W's across the street(s). I am a huge fan and played most of those rounds between November and April...loved it each time!

Have fun and play well!

Cheers

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 04:51:36 AM »

Atb

Thomas I've tried them on the rnge and they feel a bit clunky and aren't that warm.

An oversize pair of Ski Mittens that slip on and off quickly, work well. Yesterday at Deal was about as bad as I've played in. My Ski mittens stayed prettry dry and warm (water ran down my sleeves). My opponent had a Callaway verson, which were quickly wet through. If they are big enough you can wear them on top of golf gloves, even MacWets.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:54:04 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 11:14:29 AM »
Thanks Ryan and Tony.
Atb

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
scenes like these help get over the chill, (today 22nd nov)

archie_struthers

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2015, 02:02:24 PM »
 ;D ;)

Tony I've played winter golf forever here at the Jersey Shore. Lots of light layers and a ski cap a must.

As to winter gloves I'm not a big fan. Use the big mittens , even put some heaters in them and have a quick pre shot routine when you hit your shot !

Steve Lang

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »
 8)  No real winter problems along the 30th parallel in the USA  ;D
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mark Pavy

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 12:49:18 AM »
8)  No real winter problems along the 30th parallel in the USA  ;D

Nor just nth of Sydney. We play night golf all through winter.

Sam Krume

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
am booked in to play west hill gc on my birthday(22/12), £55 coffee,bacon bap and 18 holes. I think this represents great value on a course that still plays fairly firm through the winter as I seem to recall. The much valued ground game can still be enjoyed here.

Sam,

I played West Hill at least 10-12 times over the course of the 2004 school year when I taught/coached at TASIS in Thorpe and my AD was/is a member. I think it is a gem that doesn't get the same respect as it's fellow W's across the street(s). I am a huge fan and played most of those rounds between November and April...loved it each time!

Have fun and play well!

Cheers

I do think that west hill is the prettiest of the 3 W's and really looking forward to going back. I also believe they have done some work on the course and will be interested to see the improvements.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back