News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

A Truly World-Class Course
« on: August 16, 2015, 04:58:56 AM »
The lady wife and I are on our usual summer holiday in Burgundy right now. We drove down from England on Thursday and Friday, and on the way I paid my first visit to Golf de Fontainebleau, one of France's elite clubs. About an hour south of Paris, the Fontainebleau club dates from 1909 and is located in the former royal forest (now owned by the French state). Tom Simpson built the overwhelming majority of today's course, though three holes were added by Fred Hawtree in the 1960s. It has been remarkably little changed; you can see the outlines of Simpson's original bunker shapes, though they are very eroded.

I have a few photos of the first four holes, before my battery packed up, and will add them when I can (internet access is sketchy here). The place has a fairly severe (extremely severe in some places) tree problem, which is tough to fix as the club officially needs permission from the national park authorities to cut any of them down, especially the old oaks (there are trees with plaques on them indicating their age and the name of the king reigning at that time -- one, for example, says it dates from 1590, the reign on Henri IV, the Huguenot king who converted to Catholicism in order to ascend the throne, saying 'Paris vaut bien une messe' - Paris is well worth a mass). It is too close to the right of one hole. But even I wouldn't argue for the felling of a 430 year old tree in these circumstances!

I had heard from various sources in French golf that Fontainebleau was top class, in need of TLC perhaps, but clearly the greatest opportunity in French golf. But  I wasn't prepared for how good it was. The first hole is a 300 metre par four, with beautiful original carry bunkers cut into a rise, not really in play now but still spectacular. The fairway contours are as humpy as a great links, and the green has wondrous contours. The second, a great par three. The great holes continue.

It's magnificent, though not in the best of condition -- there are quite a lot of fairway areas lacking in grass, though this is partly because they have turned off the water in an attempt to start a species transition -- they are slit seeding fescue into fairways.

My list of top European courses starts with Morfontaine to be followed by Royal Hague. I may have to change that list -- Fontainebleau is that good.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mike_Clayton

Re: A Truly World-Class Course
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 05:36:46 AM »
Adam

I was there a few years ago - 5 maybe- and could not agree more. It is a beautiful place to play and full of holes fully of interest. The 'carry bunkers' in front of the 1st tee are a classic example of a penal feature you would have a hard time building today because they only trap the poor player - but at the same time they add so much to the look of the tee shot. The rocks you play over on the 12th ( the par 5 ?) are pretty unique hazards too.
And it's a toss-up between Fontainebleau and Morfontaine for the best clubhouse in the world.
My top three European courses would be exactly the same as yours.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:25:08 AM »
If you've read "The Dewsweepers," then you know that James Dodson absolutely coos (or is it cuckoos?) over this course. One suspects that a writer with Dodson's gifts would be well-retained by the club to write an extensive profile or history.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 02:50:27 AM »
Thanks for the write up Adam. I had no idea this was a must play. After you & Mike's comments I will definitely add it to the list of places to visit!!
@Pure_Golf

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 07:22:47 AM »
If you've read "The Dewsweepers," then you know that James Dodson absolutely coos (or is it cuckoos?) over this course. One suspects that a writer with Dodson's gifts would be well-retained by the club to write an extensive profile or history.

I have a copy of their (quite handsome) centenary book. It is, of course, in French. It's hard to see how they'd get any value from publishing a book in English
Adam Lawrence

David Davis

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 10:35:07 AM »
Adam,

I played this last year in September, I too just love the course and the very unique property. I'd venture to say that it's a big candidate for the Paris Chainsaw Massacre and a perfect example of a course that would rise to huge international standings should that ever happen. Somehow I think the membership is largely against the removal of the trees as well or so it was explained to me.

My French isn't good enough to get through the book either and the manager has perhaps the most impressive logo golf ball collection I've ever seen.

I think my favorite hole which felt so unique was the reachable par 5 with all the boulders on it. Don't remember the number off hand.

Also isn't it 15 and 16 that are two really world class par 4's? 15 in it's current state requires a huge drive from the back tees out through one of the tightest most intimidating shoots of trees I think I've experienced. Leaving about a 200 yd blind shot into the green?

Property and architecture are indeed great but neglect will inhibit it from taking it's place among Europe's top courses IMO.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 10:47:47 AM »
o isn't it 15 and 16 that are two really world class par 4's? 15 in it's current state requires a huge drive from the back tees out through one of the tightest most intimidating shoots of trees I think I've experienced. Leaving about a 200 yd blind shot into the green?

David

I don't know the course at all but I thought your description interesting in labelling the 15th a world class hole. Do you think it that despite the need for a huge drive through a tight shoot of trees followed by a blind 200 yard approach or because of it ?

Niall

David Davis

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 03:57:51 PM »
o isn't it 15 and 16 that are two really world class par 4's? 15 in it's current state requires a huge drive from the back tees out through one of the tightest most intimidating shoots of trees I think I've experienced. Leaving about a 200 yd blind shot into the green?

David

I don't know the course at all but I thought your description interesting in labelling the 15th a world class hole. Do you think it that despite the need for a huge drive through a tight shoot of trees followed by a blind 200 yard approach or because of it ?

Niall

Hi Niall,

No definitely not because of the length. Clear out the trees on that hole and the terrain is really really cool and I think they did an excellent job of utilizing it effectively. Sure the hole is a long pretty tough par 4 from the back tees. From the yellows much more manageable but it's just the kind of hole you don't encounter very often. To me it kind of feels like the punch bowl at Fishers with it's blind approach or perhaps even a little like the Alps Hole at Prestwick. (well ex the bunker) Maybe Adam has pictures of it?
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 02:51:03 AM »
I have been fortunate to play Fontainebleau a couple of times and agree with above comments, tree removal would reveal a stunning course

I have a good friend who is a Member and he describes the tree situation as challenging!!
I took a group of my Club Members there in 2012 and we stayed for lunch after golf and could not have hoped for a better day. We played Chantilly, St Germain and the members rated Fontainebleau top of the tree.

1st tee showing cross bunkers

Par 3 14th

15th hole from the tee

15th hole from right hand side of fairway

15th green

12th hole approach

Clubhouse from behind 1st green

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 04:50:35 AM »
My battery had died by the time I got to 15 but I agree it's a spectacular hole, pretty classic Alps style really. 16 also beautiful, I noted especially how great the landforms in the trees between 16 and 18 were. I did say to the club president that I thought they should clear those trees and reveal the beautiful contours. You never know.
Adam Lawrence

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 07:30:11 AM »
I thought Fontainebleau was quite good, but wouldn't rate the course I played above Saint-Germain or Hardelot. 

Beautiful property/setting, and it's easy to imagine how magnificent the course once was.  Given the national forest location, the tree problems are more easily forgiven than the heavy undergrowth & inconsistent bunkering (some shapes looked really out of place). 

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 07:34:46 AM »
John, the undergrowth has been removed
Adam Lawrence

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back