News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Re: Why so green?
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 05:58:56 PM »
It doesn't have to be brown and it is a great, entertaining tournament! I just think it would be harder for these guys to hit the fairways and they would also have to think more about their club selection off the tee if it was hard and fast.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 05:59:13 PM »
Huge amounts trucked in
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

noonan

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 10:00:23 PM »
Thanks!

Scott Furlong

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 11:08:37 PM »
Scott,

I agree w/ much of what you're saying, but the reality is ALL grasses have the ability to utilize drought dormancy as a survival mechanism. The issue is that we as an industry don't really believe that, let alone proving it with our maintenance practices.

Joe, Sorry but I respectfully disagree with "we as an industry don't believe that, let alone proving it with our maintenance practices". The art of golf course maintenance is very complicated (at times) and I don't believe for one second Superintendents just throw water to fix the problem.  When its 95-100 degrees (night time temps in the 70's) and you don't give it any water....when it's asking for it....it's dead as fried chicken....give it too much water it dies from disease.   Now if it's spring or fall and the night time temps get down in the 50's and day time temps are 75-85....you can turn it every color you want and it will live.  San Fran is a great example of an area that you can dry the plant down to nothing, string it along for months and it will be fine.  That's not the case across the globe.     

David Lott

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 01:12:26 AM »
This is Wisconsin in the summer. If it rains--and it has--it's green.
David Lott

Joe Hancock

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 02:41:29 PM »
Scott,

I'm OK with disagreement; I get plenty. I think the plants' ability to survive those hot days/ warm nights has everything to do with how the plant has been set up to survive that. I'm not talking the past few months, but rather the past several years. And with that I will bow out of the discussion as I no longer am a superintendent.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »
Scott,

I'm OK with disagreement; I get plenty. I think the plants' ability to survive those hot days/ warm nights has everything to do with how the plant has been set up to survive that. I'm not talking the past few months, but rather the past several years. And with that I will bow out of the discussion as I no longer am a superintendent.

I would agree with Scott, 100%, but also state that member/player demands and expectations play a vital roll in how each course is maintained and how the Superintendent maintains it. This doesn't include the debate on turf types in difference regions and/or soil conditions it's grown on.
  Members at a club like Scott's caliber don't want a "survive of the fitness" turf and/or tolerate too much that isn't cosmetically pleasing to the eye. Case in point the remarks made about the last 2 US Opens.
  Every turf type has its threshold. Do you think that all the Supts on the NE, Midwest, Chicago who lost their poa greens because of ice didn't set the plant up to survive that? A cool season grass such as bent and/or poa will always struggle with temps start pushing 90+. that's there breaking point. Too much "drought dormancy" on bent of poa is death. Plain and simple. It doesn't bounce back. We, as an industry, don't believe because it's generally not a fact.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
Here's the simple answer: It has been wet.

Here are totals for Sheboygan

August to date: 2.51 inches vs. 1.7 average
July 2.48 inches vs 2.91 inches average
June 3.92 inches vs. 3.29 inches average
May 3.95 inches vs. 2.75 inches average

Add it all up and it is 12.86 inches since May 1 vs. 10.65 inches on average

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back