News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Sato

What construction company was used at Whistling Straits?
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:26:27 PM »
A quick Google check found lots of tidbits but no name of a construction company or the names of the shapers?

https://www.americanclubresort.com/press-room/resort-fact-sheets/whistling-straits-fact-sheet

Size of the site: 560 acres.
Configuration: Whistling Straits is comprised of two 18-hole courses: The Straits® and The Irish.
Opening dates: The Straits – July 1998 The Irish – July 2000
History of the site: In the 1950s, for approximately 9 years, the site had been used by the U.S. Army as an antiaircraft training facility called Camp Haven. Previously it was pancake-flat farmland.
Sheep: A flock of Scottish blackface sheep was acquired for Whistling Straits, with the intent that the animals wander the property freely as might be encountered on a country course in the British Isles. The sheep are kept on-site during the golfing season (they are moved to an offsite farm during the winter months).
Bunkers: The sand bunkers constructed for the course are composed of sand native to the area. Not all of the sand was original to the Whistling Straits property; additional sand from a site located 10 miles from the course was brought in to complete construction. In building The Straits, 7,000 truckloads of sand - approximately 105,000 cubic yards - were brought to the site. Maintenance of the bunkers is intended to be natural by the elements, primarily the wind; staff maintenance is minimal.

[/color]
Distinguishing Features: The Straits®
• Two miles of uninterrupted shoreline on Lake Michigan
• Eight holes hug the Lake Michigan shoreline
[/size]
[/color]
• View of Lake Michigan’s endless vista of water from all 18 holes
• Four stone bridges at holes 1, 9, 10 and 18
• Bluffs and massive sand dune areas
• Natural fescue fairways (rather than the traditional Bentgrass)
• Elevation change on the course (hole 15) is approximately 80 feet
• The Straits is a walking course only; walking distance for 18 holes on The Straits is approximately 5 miles
• Caddies required (prior to twilight)
[/size]
[/color]
Grasses: The Straits
• Greens are a Bentgrass cultivar (named Providence)
• Tees are a Bentgrass cultivar (named Penncross)
• Fairways are a blend of three fescue cultivars
• Primary rough is the same fescue blend as fairways, but maintained at a higher cut
• Deep rough is a blend of four fescues
• The mounds and berms are largely left uncut
[/size]
[/color]Average size of the greens: 7,500 square feet
Average tee size: 6,000 square feet
Acres of fairway: 22
Acres of rough: 150
Sand bunkers: More than 500 bunkers
Water hazards: 14
[/size]

RJ_Daley

Re: What construction company was used at Whistling Straits?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:49:55 PM »
I think they used some combo of Dye's shapers and in-house equipment along with Buteyn-Peterson, which is the same area headquartered company they used at Whistling Straits.  I know a guy that was an operator with them.

http://buteynpeterson.com/about-us/our-company/
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Gary Sato

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »
I think they used some combo of Dye's shapers and in-house equipment along with Buteyn-Peterson, which is the same area headquartered company they used at Whistling Straits.  I know a guy that was an operator with them.

http://buteynpeterson.com/about-us/our-company/

No mention of it on the web site? 

I'm starting to think it's possibly the largest single golf course project ever built. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 02:00:59 PM »
I heard that the Des Muirhead project in Korea holds that distinction....   
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back