News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: 2017 Irish Open Heading To Portstewart
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 01:49:46 PM »
Portstewart is a nice course but doesn't seem to me to a worthy test for such a prestigious event.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »
Tommy -

The Irish Open has been played over a mixed bag of courses. Is Portstewart any less worthy than Fota Island? Carton House? Druids Glen? At least it is a links. ;)

http://www.yourgolftravel.com/19th-hole/2014/06/18/the-irish-open-top-10-host-courses/

DT

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »
I haven't played Fota Island but have played both at Carton and Druid's Glen. They aren't my favorite courses but except for the first nine are better tests than Portstewart. Certainly the clubhouse etc can accommodate the players better.  I like that the Irish Open is going to links courses, I just think there are better venues.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:58:29 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Martin Toal

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 08:35:33 AM »
Portstewart is a great course and a darn sight better than Fota, in my opinion. The strength of its defences will alrgely depend on the weather, though.

Good to see the Irish Open on Tour. In recent years it has been at some fine Irish links - Baltray, RCD, RP, Portmarnock and a few less memorable inland courses in between. Perhaps The European Club, Rosses Point, even Enniscrone with a few hundred yards added someday?

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 09:58:42 AM »
Portstewart is a nice course but doesn't seem to me to a worthy test for such a prestigious event.

On several trips, Portstewart has been the favorite of my group.
I think it is a very worthy venue with a varied-if extreme pair of nines.
No doubt it continues to improve-great to see them choose such a wild links rather than sterility and soft water strewn target golf.
I'd say count Rory out.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rob Marshall

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 09:42:29 PM »
Loved Portstewart. View from the 1st tee is great. Two different nines for sure but a lot of fun. I'll never forget my shot out a pit on the right of the 9th fairway.  Really like the front.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ed Tilley

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 04:19:31 AM »
Portstewart is "only" 7004 yards from the back tees. They'll need to extend if for the Irish Open - do they have the land to do this?

I must say I was surprised to hear this as I thought Portstewart was a clear step down (in challenge, not fun) from Portrush and RCD. I enjoyed it, and would strongly recommend to visiting social golfers, but I never thought it was a tour course and it really is the ultimate "game of two halves".

That said, I'd much prefer to see it there than at any of the bland inland courses they often play the Irish Open at.

Martin Toal

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 06:38:06 AM »
Portstewart is "only" 7004 yards from the back tees. They'll need to extend if for the Irish Open - do they have the land to do this?

I must say I was surprised to hear this as I thought Portstewart was a clear step down (in challenge, not fun) from Portrush and RCD. I enjoyed it, and would strongly recommend to visiting social golfers, but I never thought it was a tour course and it really is the ultimate "game of two halves".

That said, I'd much prefer to see it there than at any of the bland inland courses they often play the Irish Open at.

Well, it will probably be the best course on the Euro Tour where a local high school maths teacher had a major hand in its design.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 12:09:24 PM »
Nice to see the IO going to a links in 2017. Not enough links on the tour schedule.

As to P-s itself, well apologies in advance but I will admit to not being a great fan. The 1st hole is all about the view. The 2nd-9th is a combination of quirk and big machine made golf, although the 5th is a fabulous hole, and whilst quirk is fine I'm not keen on big machine made golf. The 10-18th are a bit on the bland side although the 17th is far from a pushover.

P-s reminds me in many ways of Pyle & Kenfig in reverse, except I prefer both 9's at P&K.

A course I'd like to see the IO played at is Enniscrone.

Atb

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »
Played there in April and loved every minute of it. To me the second nine get dinged too much. There are a handful of very good holes on there as well. Sometimes I think the course is its worst enemy. Because the front 9 are (at least in my opinion) out of this world great the back 9 are just seen as a letdown and don't get judged on their own merit.

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 04:48:25 AM »
I agree with you Ruediger.  Both nines are good, but the font nine is very good, very difficult and a hard walk. 

ATB...can't agree with you...P&K is not in the same class as Portstewart.  I guess I am one of the few, but I don't rate the back 9 at P&K all that highly.  There are only a few standout holes and those dunes collect water, requiring a winter course  ::)

The thing I fear is the powers that be tighten P'stewart up (to silly Portrush levels) when it is already a tough course for handicap players.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 06:56:14 AM »

I'd say count Rory out.

I knew one day I'd catch you out on something...

"Keith Pelley, Chief Executive of the European Tour, said: “We are delighted to announce that the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open hosted by the Rory Foundation will be staged at Portstewart in 2017.

“Thanks in no small part to Rory McIlroy’s personal commitment alongside that of his Foundation, the Irish Open has unquestionably grown in stature over recent years. We also must thank our partners in the championship – title sponsors Dubai Duty Free and the Northern Ireland Government – for their continued vision and commitment not only to this event, but to the European Tour as a whole.

“Northern Ireland has some of the most passionate and knowledgeable golf fans in the world and I know how much our members enjoyed the recent Irish Opens at Royal Portrush and Royal County Down. I have no doubt that next year’s edition at Portstewart will add another memorable chapter to the history of this great championship.

McIlroy said: “Portstewart is an excellent links course and one of Northern Ireland’s hidden gems, so it’s great news that we are taking the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open there next year. Winning at The K Club earlier this year was without doubt one of the highlights of my career, and I’m already looking forward to defending my title at Portstewart next July.

“The crowds at Portrush and Royal County Down were unbelievable, and I’m sure the people of Northern Ireland will come out to support the tournament again next year.”

It's just what I've heard but I think his commitment to Northern Ireland is a lot deeper than his commitment to say..the Olympics.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:52:58 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 02:12:28 PM »
I played Portstewart's Strand course five or six years ago and remember only a couple of holes -- the first, of course, was one of them.  Although not at the time thinking about it for championship play, looking back I recall enough quirk to think it would be interesting to see the professionals play there.  In fact, when I first heard the announcement I thought I might like to take a visit to Northern Ireland again and see a round or two at the tournament.  I must tell you the only highlight of my play there.  I drove a green.  It was a par three green I recall, on the Old Course, though I was hitting off a tee on a par 4 or 5 at the Strand.  I hit a big slice over a dune and the caddie said you've probably driven a green next door.  Sure enough.

Kevin Markham

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 03:33:38 AM »
A bunch of interesting comments about Portstewart's Strand course. The course is cursed - if you can call it that - with mesmerising, chaotic dunes (known as Thistly Hollow) on the front nine, a strong stretch to start the back nine (holes 9-12), and then a steady fade to the finish with occasional bursts of interest (approach to 14, 17 and the par three 15th).

For the Irish Open, they've created some dune mounds around and between the side-by-side 10th and 13th greens, removed the trees behind the 13th green, added new tees on the 4th, 8th, 14th and 18th - the 4th is spectacular - and added a large bunker on the 14th which is visible from the tee. The ending may not be dramatic but the TV will love that opening nine!

I was up there a couple weeks ago shooting the golf course. Photos are here: Portstewart Photos

Ash Towe

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 04:07:09 AM »
Stunning photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 04:49:33 AM »
Sensational photos. Thanks for posting.
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back