News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Chandler

Re: Ying and Yang - Rules for Euros coming to America
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2015, 11:27:13 AM »
The best food, particularly for the money, in any coastal American city is likely to be non-Chinese Asian food.
Lastly, I can't imagine a Brit eating Indian food in the U.S. -- mostly a waste of time since you have fantastic options where you're from.(There are of course exceptions to every rule I have posted.)
I wouldn't go with any hard and fast rules.  I've had great Thai food in Myrtle Beach and crappy steaks in Chicago.  Just get good intel from locals and reliable blogs etc.  There is great food in unexpected places across the country of all types (yes, Indian, North and South) and at all price points as long as you're willing to be adventurous and do a little homework.

The point I was trying to make, but didn't articulate clearly, is that I always recommend to travellers that they try cuisine's that are not so available at home. Why would a Londoner eat Indian food in Kentucky? -- he should get some fried chicken. I rarely recommend a New Yorker eat pizza in Baltimore. Etc.

Jud_T

« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »
The best food, particularly for the money, in any coastal American city is likely to be non-Chinese Asian food.
Lastly, I can't imagine a Brit eating Indian food in the U.S. -- mostly a waste of time since you have fantastic options where you're from.(There are of course exceptions to every rule I have posted.)
I wouldn't go with any hard and fast rules.  I've had great Thai food in Myrtle Beach and crappy steaks in Chicago.  Just get good intel from locals and reliable blogs etc.  There is great food in unexpected places across the country of all types (yes, Indian, North and South) and at all price points as long as you're willing to be adventurous and do a little homework.

The point I was trying to make, but didn't articulate clearly, is that I always recommend to travellers that they try cuisine's that are not so available at home. Why would a Londoner eat Indian food in Kentucky? -- he should get some fried chicken. I rarely recommend a New Yorker eat pizza in Baltimore. Etc.

Jimmy,

I generally agree.  When you're in Texas you should be seeking out top quality barbeque.  But if there just so happens to be a phenomenal Korean place down the road that comes very highly recommended, why would you not eat there just because you're not in Seoul?  (fyi- the best pizza in the country was in Chicago at Great Lake, until the guy went AWOL).
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2015, 12:01:30 PM »
But if there just so happens to be a phenomenal Korean place down the road that comes very highly recommended, why would you not eat there just because you're not in Seoul?  (fyi- the best pizza in the country was in Chicago at Great Lake, until the guy went AWOL).
But if you're from Seoul -- unless someone can assure you that it's as good/better/different Korean food than you can get at home -- I would get pizza (just not Chicago deep dish pizza, which is casserole, not pizza).

Kalen Braley

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2015, 12:13:22 PM »
While visiting India a few years back on business, on the 1st day they asked me if I wanted to go to KFC or Subway for lunch.

I told them please take me to where the locals eat and the food is authentic for the every day man....it was a wonderful week and a half business trip in that respect.  I never saw one non-Indian in the dining establishments we went to so that was exactly what I wanted...and the food was indeed terrific.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2015, 04:08:52 PM »
Couple of minor, quick additions.

1.  "Buggys" are called "carts" here.

2.  While tipping is technically "optional", it's not.  15-20% in restaurants is standard.  $3-5 per bag for a bellman. An extra $20+ for caddies.  $2 minimum per bag for cart attendants.  Basically, please tip.  We know our tipping culture is strange and obnoxious, but it is what it is.  When in Rome, as the saying goes.

3.  Using the term "...for hire" will confuse most Americans.  Example, 'Do you have clubs for hire?"  Don't say that.  Instead say something like this, "Do you rent clubs?"

#nowhitebelt

Garland Bayley

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
While visiting India a few years back on business, on the 1st day they asked me if I wanted to go to KFC or Subway for lunch.

I told them please take me to where the locals eat and the food is authentic for the every day man....it was a wonderful week and a half business trip in that respect.  I never saw one non-Indian in the dining establishments we went to so that was exactly what I wanted...and the food was indeed terrific.

Kalen's got the right idea. If you go to an Chinese place in the US and it is filled with Americans, leave and find one that is filled with Chinese.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »
Garland the R&A have nothing to do with handicaps unless you are a member of the R&A.

Never had more than a mistaken spat out mouthful of tea in my life, it's the juice of the devil.

Sorry, I meant CONGU not realizing the rules didn't come from the R&A.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back