News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: Ying and Yang - Rules for Euros coming to America
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 09:36:25 AM »
I think you mean Brits. The rest of Europe drives on the right and is broadly aware of the sun
And Brits, at least of the English sort, are increasing hostile towards their Euro brethren.
Really?
Really.  Otherwise Brexit and the impending referendum wouldn't exist.  I travel to the UK on business about five times a year and this is increasingly a topic of discussion.
You are confusing hostility to other Europeans with hostility to a political structure.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 01:24:14 PM »
Kalen,

I would suggest having at least little bit of knowledge about a subject before posting ;)

Wayne,

I very much doubt there will be a Brexit much like an independent Scotland when the population takes a serious look at it then a large majority decide for union not independence.

Jon

MCirba

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 03:44:58 PM »
Keep your schedule full with golf and friendships and at all costs avoid our 24-hour news cycle, particularly those shows of a political nature.

Not only will they scare the bejeesus out of you but you'll think that the US has all taken hallucinogens causing paranoid delusions of grandeur..
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 08:24:14 AM »
If any of you think the British are anti European you are completely wrong. Lots of us are against the fact that The European Economic Community devised to assist trade has ended up in political union. Many of our laws are being superseded by European law, what works (or doesn't work) in Portugal, Italy, Latvia or Poland doesn't necessarily work in the UK.  Would the Canadians or Mecicans agree with their laws being made in Washington?
Cave Nil Vino

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »
Adam and you forget under Ms Sturgeon many Scots have a passionate dislike for the English.

Mark

In fairness to the SNP, although I'm not sure why I should be fair to them, many Scots had a passionate dislike for the English anyway.  ;)

Niall

It's getting better?

http://america.aljazeera.com/blogs/worldcup/2014/6/11/england-are-now-sobadthatmanyscotswillrootforit.html

JSadowsky

I'm old enough to remember when Scotland qualified for 5 World Cups in a row, which at that time was a record. Quite remarkable for a nation of 5 million. Argentina was the 2nd of those tournaments and followed on from Scotland narrowly being knocked out of the previous tournament after being undeafeted against the likes of Brazil and Yugoslavia. In Argentina we had arguably a better squad and a number of our players played with some of the top teams in Europe. Since then Scottish football has gone into decline but not terminally.

That goes part of the way to explaining why there is a lack of antipathy towards the auld enemy. The other reason is simply that we no longer play them on a regular basis. I don't think England have a bad team, from what I can see they are not appreciably worse than they historically have been but have simply failed to peak at the right time to give themselves a chance. Having a series of managers who maybe weren't the best hasn't helped either.

The rivalry is no different really to Australia and NZ ie. friendly, and nothing like Iran/Iraq or Pakistan/India.

Niall

Jud_T

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »
1.  Bring a sense of humor. You'll need it when the guy you get paired with plumb bobs his putt for a quad.

2. Get local recommendations for food.  Avoid the chains.

3.  F&F is F&F over here (few and far-between).

4.  Walking and carrying in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity is an acquired taste.

5. A friendly letter from your home club can go a long way.  Many clubs aside from the biggest names may happily humor an overseas visitor, particularly in the shoulder seasons.

6.  If playing at a private club, inquire as to customs- I.e. attire, cell phones, caddie tipping etc.

7. Anyone who's studied finance beyond middle school knows the Euro has been a failed construct from day 1.  You can't have a country without the ability to print money when necessary.  So unless y'all want to really become one country with all it entails (which I don't ever see happening) then the writing is on the wall.  The only question is when the other shoe drops.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 11:11:16 AM »
8. Dust off your practice swings. You will need them here. Preferably three or four, but under no circumstances fewer than two per shot. You will come to appreciate a 4.5-hour round as fast.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 11:23:35 AM »
Let's get real here, people.

The English go straight to Myrtle Beach, the Euros to Florida. All they want to do is play cartball, get sunburnt[sic] and drink the American beers they like to make fun of.

Please tailor advice accordingly. (Benjamin that's a good start.)
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Niall C

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 11:37:09 AM »
Where do the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish go ?

Dave Doxey

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 04:19:15 PM »

Assuming that you'll likely be restricted to playing only public courses here are some tips:

It is OK to wear your hat backwards when on the course, but when dining in the clubhouse, you should wear it with the brim facing forward.

Music playing from your cart should not be so loud as to interfere with music on adjoining fairways.

Bring food & beer in your cart.  6 hours is a long time, and beverage cart service may be unreliable.

At public courses near large cities, do not let anyone at the club drop take the clubs from your car - you'll likely never see them again.

If you have any question while on the course, look for the ranger/marshall- he will be the old guy on a cart hunting for golf balls in the bushes.

Price shown at registration is not the fee for an annual pass - it's the 18 hole greens fee.  Cart is included, but you'll need to give it back when done.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2015, 09:02:41 AM »
Yin, not Ying.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2015, 09:29:54 AM »
If given the option at a barbecue joint, choose:  a) pork over beef; b) spareribs over baby backs; c) dry over wet; and sweet tea over unsweet.    Apply sauce sparingly if at all and don't fret over the sides. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2015, 01:08:38 PM »
Kalen,

I would suggest having at least little bit of knowledge about a subject before posting ;)

Wayne,

I very much doubt there will be a Brexit much like an independent Scotland when the population takes a serious look at it then a large majority decide for union not independence.

Jon

Jon,

Fair enough.  I should have emphasized it was only my intent to get the opposite thread going as I've never even ventured to Europe....yet.

However, I stand by my comments on sun screen and driving around in the wrong neighborhoods after dark.   ;)

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 01:16:44 PM »
Kalen,

Wayne,

Jon

Jon,

Fair enough.  I should have emphasized it was only my intent to get the opposite thread going as I've never even ventured to Europe....yet.

However, I stand by my comments on sun screen and driving around in the wrong neighborhoods after dark.   ;)

But Kalen, why did you say Euros when you are quite clearly talking about the British?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2015, 01:20:29 PM »
Kalen,

Wayne,

Jon

Jon,

But Kalen, why did you say Euros when you are quite clearly talking about the British?

Probably because his conception of "Europe" is formed entirely around the Ryder Cup.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 01:20:48 PM »
Kalen,

Wayne,

Jon

Jon,

Fair enough on that point as well, in my head I was thinking only northern europeans like those from the British Isles, Sweden, etc., but should have tried to make that distinction.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2015, 01:23:50 PM »
Rule No. 1: drop the cheesy accents -- especially the exaggerated ones from Yorkshire or Liverpool.  You're not in a Monty Python skit anymore, you're in 'Merica. And even Peter Aliss we can listen to with appreciation only once a year. If you insist on retaining the affection, at least save it for your time OFF the golf course, where we don't have to hear it and where the birds might appreciate it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:39:59 PM by PPallotta »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2015, 01:46:15 PM »

Jon,

Kalen,

both good points though we do get quite a lot of sun in a normal summer here in GB. As for the wrong neighbourhoods after dark I am with you on that especially as you are as likely to be shot by a policeman as a villain. Still when Mr. Trump is President I am sure it will all improve ;D

Mr. Pallotta,

shut tha gob man tha knaws nawt  ;)

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2015, 02:44:38 PM »

Assuming that you'll likely be restricted to playing only public courses here are some tips:

It is OK to wear your hat backwards when on the course, but when dining in the clubhouse, you should wear it with the brim facing forward.

Music playing from your cart should not be so loud as to interfere with music on adjoining fairways.

Bring food & beer in your cart.  6 hours is a long time, and beverage cart service may be unreliable.

At public courses near large cities, do not let anyone at the club drop take the clubs from your car - you'll likely never see them again.

If you have any question while on the course, look for the ranger/marshall- he will be the old guy on a cart hunting for golf balls in the bushes.

Price shown at registration is not the fee for an annual pass - it's the 18 hole greens fee.  Cart is included, but you'll need to give it back when done.

:)
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2015, 07:44:10 PM »
Rule No. 1: drop the cheesy accents -- especially the exaggerated ones from Yorkshire or Liverpool.  You're not in a Monty Python skit anymore, you're in 'Merica. And even Peter Aliss we can listen to with appreciation only once a year. If you insist on retaining the affection, at least save it for your time OFF the golf course, where we don't have to hear it and where the birds might appreciate it.

Remember that English is not American, and vice versa.  While this happened in Australia, it is still a great example.
American, after eating="I'm stuffed", followed byu horrified mixed company silence as that means "I'm f@*ked".

John_Cullum

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2015, 09:36:27 AM »
(so combine with a trip to Myrtle Beach and its courses, to get the full flavor of the USA and its golf and culture).

Sad, but true.
Raynor was a hack

Will MacEwen

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2015, 11:04:04 AM »

Remember that English is not American, and vice versa.  While this happened in Australia, it is still a great example.
American, after eating="I'm stuffed", followed byu horrified mixed company silence as that means "I'm f@*ked".

I read of a Canadian family who relocated to Australia. Cheering on their son in sports the mother yelled "Go Mike! Dad and I are up here rooting for you!"

Jason Thurman

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2015, 11:33:36 AM »
Seriously, visit a shooting range. You'll run the gamut from confusion and shock to awe and amazement.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jud_T

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »
Seriously, visit a shooting range. You'll run the gamut from confusion and shock to awe and amazement.

For better or worse, possibly the quintessential American experience, warts and all.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2015, 03:37:38 PM »
Gun ranges are an excellent suggestion! I recommend Rough Creek Lodge and Resort in Glen Rose, Texas.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back