News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Some day I'd like to give each of these courses the full monty treatment on GCA. I had the fortune to play and photograph Kahkwa (Donald Ross, 1918) and Lake Shore (Tom Bendelow, 1929) in Erie, PA. Both are delightful and have not had much treatment (any?) on GCA. I encourage you oenophiles to pair a trip to Lake Erie wine country with these two clubs (introductions probably necessary) this September or next year. Here are five images from each to tickle the palate.

Lake Shore

Third Hole

Fifth Hole

Eleventh Hole

Thirteenth Hole

Eighteenth Hole

Kahkwa

Third Hole

Seventh Hole

Tenth Hole

Thirteenth Hole

Sixteenth Hole

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:55:17 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jason Kang

Ronald, thank you so much for highlighting the NW corner of PA, particularly Kahkwa.  If one searches for Kahkwa, it is mentioned occasionally on GCA (has hosted the US Women's Open, Am, and will host the Ladies Mid-Am next year; has a 19th hole; one of the first 100 organized clubs in the US; Tom Doak enjoyed the greens when he saw the course, etc etc).  I have had the pleasure of getting to know it over the last few years and think it is a great old-school spot.  I think your picture of 7 may actually be 8.

Of note for guys on this site:

Ron Forse restored the course in 2004.  I am told that overall it went well.  I certainly think so.  Any professional perspective/insight related to this would be cool and interesting.

The par 3 3rd hole actually has two sets of tees at 90 degrees opposition to each other.  Completely different hole and shot demand depending on the tee in use.  One of those sets of tees can also be used as the back tee for the 6th hole, creating an interesting drive on that hole. 

The club is enjoying the results of a gradual tree clearing program.  When I was there last Summer, my host pointed out that one can now see from the 15th tee all the way across the property to the 3rd tee; this was impossible just a few years ago.  Additionally, it is generally now quite firm and fast for an American inland course.

People can sometimes equate Ross with turtleback greens, but Kahkwa boasts a punchbowl cut into the face of a hill on the 9th hole, something not seen super frequently on Ross designs.

Thanks again, Ronald; this is a fun, interesting, old course with really interesting greens at a great club.  And they throw a great party (3 bars)!

PS- There is a picture of the 11th hole hanging on one of the walls at the Pinecrest Inn (I think the back room) in Pinehurst.   
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:19:54 PM by Jason Kang »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back