News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Discovering Alex Russell - The Man and His Legacy
« on: September 21, 2017, 04:45:39 PM »
Last night I was privileged to attend the launch of a special book in Australian golf. A great look at the life and work of Alex Russell - a seminal figure in golf in this country.

Russell was the son of a wealthy farming family. He studied at Cambridge, served his country during World War II. He served as the personal secretary of Australian Prime Minister Stanley Bruce. Russell was a fine golfer, having won the Australian Open, and is one of a handful of golfers to do so as an amateur. He was a life member of Royal Melbourne Golf Club. And of special interest to us here at GCA, Russell was an accomplished course designer. He was Alister MacKenzie's right hand man during the Doctor's 1926 visit to our shores - much as Hunter became Alister's design associate in the USA. Russell designed the East course at Royal Melbourne, and later designed Lake Karinyup in Perth, Paraparaumu Beach in NZ, and Yarra Yarra on the Melbourne sandbelt.

Neil Crafter, and Dr. John Green have penned a wonderful tome. Fantastic illustrations, and a wealth of archival material. I commend this book to those of you with a an interest in Australian golf. You can learn more (and order, along with international delivery options) at www.discoveringalexrussell.com .

Matthew

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:05:43 PM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

CJames

Re: Discovering Alex Russell - The Man and His Legacy
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 01:26:00 AM »
Matthew, thanks for bringing this new book by Neil Crafter and John Green to our attention.  Just in time to make it to the top of my 2017 holiday wish list.  It looks like a very nice volume.  I had the great pleasure of being hosted by Mr. John Green at Royal Melbourne Golf Club alongside Paul Daley back in 2013.  I can say with 100% sincerity that John was one of the very kindest and sweetest gentleman I have ever had the honor to meet and spend quality time golfing with, and we have remained in contact in the intervening years to my great satisfaction.  John was too modest to tell me, but I was led to believe that he is the RMGC club champion many times over.  His short game was astonishing and a joy to watch.  His wife Helen's delicious biscuits, graciously proffered on the 12th hole, was the proverbial cherry on top of the sundae.  I wish John and Neil every success with their shining a light on a name we all know, but a man of whom I admit to knowing very little. 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 06:00:07 PM »
The book looks great.  Thanks for sharing.

When you click on the link, there's a great photo with a rolling fairway.  What course is that?

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
I think that is a short four on the front side of Paraparaumu Beach Joel. Around an hour drive north of Wellington in New Zealand.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Don Jordan

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 03:50:12 AM »
Lake Karrinyup is a fantastic course and if it wasn't tucked away in a remote corner of the world in Western Australia it would be far higher up lists than it is. OCCM did a great job with the renovation as well. Australian golfers are very lucky to have had Russell around during the time that the great clubs in this country were being established/consolidated.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 07:44:18 PM »
Apart from the "one hit wonders" is he among the least prolific architects who ever did anything half decent?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back