News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

William Watson Article - New Course Credits
« on: July 18, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »
The following article appeared in the May 4, 1919 edition of the Arizona Republican, noting the following courses:

Ingleside (AZ)
Wanakah (NY)
Flossmoor (IL) - wonder if this is a reference to Ravisloe, or if he actually did do work at Flossmoor.
Westmoreland (IL)
Midwick (CA)
Altadena (CA)
Culver City (CA) - have not seen this credited before.
Raymond (CA) - I've seen this credited as a renovation, not an original design.
Huntington (CA) - its been suggested this was a Watson, this article seems to confirm it.
Orange County CC (CA) - another that I have not seen an architect for yet.
Annandale (CA)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:40:37 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ronald Montesano

Re: William Watson Article - New Course Credits
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »
Wanakah hoped for years that they had a little Ross in them (no, that's not a euphemism.) I believe that they are happy enough to be a Watson.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Matt Bosela

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:15:07 PM »
Wanakah hoped for years that they had a little Ross in them (no, that's not a euphemism.) I believe that they are happy enough to be a Watson.

Ron,

I just played Wanakah on Thursday.  It was much better than I remember, with some very interesting holes.

Ronald Montesano

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
A Nov. 9, 1921 Seattle Star article discussing some of Watson's work in the East Bay.  I've seen William Locke credited with the Oakland Municipal course, so this makes me wonder if it is in reference to a different public course in Oakland, or if Watson was initially brought in and Locke ended up doing the work.  Berkeley is now known as Mira Vista. 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:44:07 AM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 11:14:08 AM »

A Feb. 26, 1914 El Paso Herald article discussing Watson seeking out a location for the new course in Tucson (the same information is confirmed in an American Golfer article).  Interesting to note the misinformation regarding who laid out the Pinehurst courses.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »
Not sure what the Belvedere Pro's sources are but he had several of these on his list.

http://www.belvederegolfclub.com/History/CourseArchitectWilliamWatson.aspx
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:04:01 AM »
Buck:

I've seen that list, and I think its worthy of a critical examination.  There are a few duplicates, and several courses that I think are mistakes.

I'll add it in here, and try to note additions, corrections and supporting articles.

Sven

MCirba

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 11:57:15 AM »
I've seen Watson's name associated with Charlevoix Golf Course in MI.   

Does anyone know if he was involved with the original design in 1896?   Or was that HJ Tweedie?

Thanks for any info.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 12:07:26 PM »
1898 - 1910

Minikahda Club - Minneapolis, MN 1898 (w/ Foulis)

-1900 Harpers notes course laid out by Watson in April, 1899

Hollywood CC - Hollywood, CA 1898

Although Watson did work on a Hollywood CC, the course he worked on was new in 1919.  Reports have him adding 9 holes in 1921.

Casa Loma - Redlands, CA 1899

- 1900 Harpers notes course laid out by Thomas Arnold in September 1899.

Ferndale Course - Ferndale, MN 1899 (6 hole course)

Hotel Green - Pasadena, CA 1899

Watson was the professional and greenkeeper here so it is highly likely he worked on the course.

Bryn Mawr GC - Minneapolis, MN 1899 (r)

Hotel Raymond - Pasadena, CA 1900 & 1901 (r)

-May 4, 1919 Arizona Republican (see above) notes Watson's involvement.  April 17, 1901 Los Angeles Times article notes Willie Smith engaged to plan a 9 hole course.

Garvanza Links - Pasadena, CA 1901

-I've never heard of a course by this name.

Seattle GC - Laurelhurst, WA 1901

Menlo GC - Redwood City, CA 1901

-By all accounts, this course opened in 1909.

Los Angeles Golf Links - Pasadena, CA 1902

-Dec. 1901 Golf Magazine

Alexandria GC - Alexandria, VA 1903 (r)

Oct. 7, 1903 Evening Star -

Oct. 12, 1903 Alexandria Gazette and Virgina Advertiser -

Oct. 13, 1903 The Washington Times -

Hotel Frontenac GC - Round Island, NY 1904 (r & ex)

Presidio - San Francisco, CA 1905

Shawnee CC - Lima, OH 1905 (r)

See the Sept. 27, 1927 Arizona Republic article on page 2 of this thread, which notes Watson working on a course in Lima, OH that summer.  Other sources have Bendelow laying out a 9 hole course here in 1909.

Annandale GC - Pasadena, CA 1906
, 1919 (r)

Watson's involvement in 1919 is confirmed, however I have not seen anything that states he worked on the earlier version of the course.

-May 4, 1919 Arizona Republican (see above) notes Watson's involvement. 

Dec. 1920 Golfers Magazine -

-Same Dec. 1920 Golfers Magazine notes the original Annandale course was laid out by George O'Neil.

Denver CC - Denver, CO 1907 (r)

La Cumbre GC - Santa Barbara, CA 1908

Interlachen CC - Edina, MN 1909

-March 1910 American Golfer notes plans to build an 18 hole course.

Aug. 1914 Golf Magazine -

Toledo CC - Toledo, OH 1909 (r & ex)

-See the May 1920 Golfers Magazine ad below, although I'd like confirmation of exactly when Watson worked on the course.

Virginia CC - Long Beach, CA 1909

- Watson most certainly designed the new Virgina CC course that opened in 1921, but I have not seen anything associating him with the first course.

Aug. 30, 1921 Los Angeles Herald -

Homewood CC - Homewood, IL 1910 (r) (now Flossmoor)

1920 Golfers Magazine -

Brentwood CC - Brentwood, CA 1910

-My records indicate this club was started in 1916, with a March 1916 American Golfer article noting the first 9 holes under construction.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:03:52 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 12:10:06 PM »
I've seen Watson's name associated with Charlevoix Golf Course in MI.   

Does anyone know if he was involved with the original design in 1896?   Or was that HJ Tweedie?

Thanks for any info.

This is from he Belvedere Site as well --looks like he arrived as a Pro after the course was already complete.

In the summer of 1914, Mr. William Watson was invited to be “professional in charge” of the Charlevoix Golf Club whose links, on the north side of Charlevoix, were gaining a national reputation for its superior routing and course condition. Watson returned seasonally to the Charlevoix Golf Club from 1914 until 1930.

Opposite the Chicago Club, on the south side of Pine River in Charlevoix, stood the venerable Belvedere Club. The Belvedere Club began in 1878 as a Baptist summer camp & soon developed into a 100 acre summer resort destination with the finest of clay tennis courts, large clean beach frontage and a handsome 90 room hotel. What Belvedere lacked was a golf club. So in 1925, a group of Belvedere golf devotees found and purchased two large and somewhat swampy parcels of land two miles south of Charlevoix.

On August 25, 1925, the Belvedere Golf Club was organized as a private club for the purpose of operating the golf course and the club house. Mr. A.B. Scarborough was elected temporary chairman and Mr. J.W. Fristoe temporary secretary. They were then authorized to enter into a lease and contract with the Belvedere Realty Company for the use and occupancy of the golf course under construction.

Having spent the previous twelve summer seasons in Charlevoix, William Watson was not an unfamiliar face to the Belvedere membership. By 1925, his reputation as golf course architect had earned him national distinction and his counsel was requested by some of the best golf engineers of the time including George C. Thomas, Billy Bell, Tom Bendelow, Sam Whiting & Robert Hunter. Since his first design in 1898, Watson had now designed over 85 golf courses throughout the United States. The Belvedere membership knew who they wanted to design their golf course and Watson was their man.

Ironically, Watson would spend sixteen summer seasons in Charlevoix yet Belvedere Golf Club is his only original Michigan design. He walked the purchased Belvedere property in 1925 laying out tees, bunkers and green complexes. By 1926, the design work for Belvedere was completed by Watson & it was time for the Lavern A. Miller Landscape service of Sterling, Ill., to do the landscape work. Miller would and had done landscape work on several of Watson’s other national projects.

In late summer of 1926, Watson was ready to show his new masterpiece off to the Belvedere membership.

“Members of the Belvedere Golf Club were given an opportunity for the first time to try out the New Belvedere golf course and from expressions made by those who enjoyed the privilege extended, it is apparent that the new 18-hole course measures fully up to expectations and when fully completed as it soon will be, the same will be a source of unending pleasure to both the promoters of the club and its enthusiastic patrons.”

“There is a distinct charm in the new course from every point and at all angles and it is questionable whether or not there is another golf course in Michigan that equals in point of beauty, broad perspective, contour and satisfactory surroundings as does the Belvedere golf course. The grounds are already famous and with its formal opening in the early season of 1927 the grounds will be the mecca for golf enthusiasts throughout the entire resort region” as reported by the Charlevoix Sentinel, September 2, 1926.

In the summer of 1927, Belvedere Golf Club officially opened and Mr. William Watson remained as its first professional. Watson fulfilled dual professional responsibilities at both the Belvedere Golf Club and the Charlevoix Golf Club seasonally from 1927 – 1930. He would arrive in Charlevoix in late June and leave about one week after Labor Day.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
Thanks, Buck, that's very helpful!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »
Sven,

Have you seen any record of Watson having worked on Town & Country Club in St. Paul?
H.P.S.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
1911 - 1920

Westmoreland CC - Wilmette, IL 1911

- May, June and July 1912 American Golfer note course laid out by Watson.

The La Crosse Club - La Crosse, WI 1912

The Albuquerque Commercial Club Golf Links - Albuquerque, NM 1912

- May 24 and May 31, 1911 Albuquerque Morning Journal articles notes Watson looking over sites for a new course.  No evidence he actually designed the course.

Altadena CC - Altadena, CA 1912 (later Pasadena GC)

- July 1911 The American Golfer and May 4, 1919 The Arizona Republican (see above) note course laid out by Watson.

Ravisloe CC - Homewood, IL 1912 (r)

- Dec. 1910 American Golfer notes course remodeled by Watson.
- Nov. 1913 American Golfer notes Bob White supervised alterations made by Watson.

Thousand Islands CC - Alexandria Bay, NY 1913 (r)

-Watson noted this course in his 1920 Golfers Magazine Ad (see above), however that course dates to 1906 and he noted it as an original layout.  The Aug. 17, 1913 Syracuse Herald notes his work improving the new course.  It is possible that he did lay out a new course around 1913, which he would later make improvements upon.

Midwick GC - Los Angeles, CA 1913

- May 4, 1919 The Arizona Republican article (see above) notes course was laid out by Watson.

Moorland G&CC - Homewood, IL 1913 (w/ Bendelow)

- This is Olympia Fields.

The Golf Links - Wellesley Island, NY 1913

- The Aug. 17, 1913 edition of the Syracuse Herald notes Watson working on the course of Frank Lowden on Wellesley Island.  It is possible that this private course became the Wellesley Island Club which is noted in a July 1922 Golf Illustrated article and the 1923 Annual Guide.

San Marcos Hotel Golf Course - Chandler, AZ 1913 (w/ Harry Collis)

Nov. 1916 Golfers Magazine suggests original course laid out by Collis alone.  Did Watson collaborate with Collis or did he do the additional 9 which was put in around 1915?

Diablo CC - Diablo, CA 1914

This is the same as Mount Diablo CC (which appears later in the list), which was first constructed in 1914.  Watson was not involved with the course until 1920.

The Huntington - Pasadena, CA 1914

- May 4, 1919 The Arizona Republican article (see above) notes course was laid out by Watson.

Lincoln Park - San Francisco, CA 1914 & 1922 (r)

- The article below discusses the 1922/23 work, but I have seen nothing to confirm the 1914 work.

July 16, 1923 Oakland Tribune -

Evanston GC - Evanston, IL 1914 (r & ex)

April 30, 1914 Chicago Daily Tribune -

Fargo CC - Fargo, ND 1914

July 5, 1914 Bismarck Daily Tribune -

Tucson CC - Tucson, AZ 1914 (now the site of Randolph North)

Feb. 26, 1914 El Paso Herald (see above) and March 1914 American Golfer (see below) note Watson visiting Tucson to locate a site for the new club.

However, several other sources note the course was laid out by Jack Adams (including the April 1914 American Golfer article below).

Onwentsia Club - Lake Forest, IL 1914 (r)

- Dec. 1913 American Golfer notes Watson engaged to make improvements.

Kalamazoo CC - Kalamazoo, MI 1915 (r & ex)

White Bear Yacht Club - White Bear Lake, MN 1915 (w/ Ross)

Olympia Fields CC #1 - Olympia Fields, IL 1916 (r & ex w/ Bendelow)

- Dec. 1913 American Golfer notes Bendelow and Watson inspected the grounds for the new club.
- Feb. 1917 American Golfer notes Bendelow and Watson renovated the temporary course.

Minneapolis GC - Golden Valley, MN - 1916 - 1920 (r & ex w/ Bendelow - today Golden Valley G&CC)

Winona CC - Winona, MN 1917

-April 3, 1919 Chicago Daily Tribune notes course was laid out by Bendelow.

Culver City CC - Culver City, CA 1917 (changed to The California Country Club) 1920 (r)

Olympia Fields CC #2 - Olympia Fields, IL 1918

- Feb. 1917 American Golfer notes #2 course laid out by Watson.

Inglewood CC - Inglewood, CA 1919

Wanakah CC - Hamburg, NY (r) 1919

June 1919 Golfers Magazine -

Ingleside Club - Phoenix, AZ 1919

- May 4, 1919 The Arizona Republican article (see above) confirms Watson's involvement.

June 1919 Golfers Magazine -

Dec. 12, 1920 The Arizona Republican -

San Diego G&CC - Chula Vista, CA 1920

-April 24, 1920 Berkeley Daily Gazette (see below) notes Watson developing a new course in San Diego.

Olympia Fields CC #3 - Olympia Fields, IL 1920 (w/Bendelow)

Flintridge CC - San Gabriel, CA 1920

April 24, 1920 Berkeley Daily Gazette (see above) notes Watson developing a new course in San Gabriel.

Jan. 16, 1920 San Francisco Chronicle -

Claremont CC - Claremont, CA 1920 (r & ex)

-Sept. 29, 1921 Oakland Tribune notes course laid out by Watson.

Berkeley G&CC - Berkeley, CA 1920 (w/ R. Hunter - now Mira Vista G&CC)

April 24, 1920 Berkeley Daily Gazette -

April 27, 1920 Berkeley Daily Gazette -

July 16, 1920 Berkeley Daily Gazette -

San Gabriel CC - San Gabriel, CA 1920 (r)

-Possibly a mistaken reference to Flintridge, in San Gabriel.

The Country Club - Salt Lake City, UT 1920

-April 24, 1920 Berkeley Daily Gazette (see above) notes Watson notes course recently finished by Watson.

Hacienda GC - La Habra Heights, CA 1920 (w/ Charles Mayo)

June 15, 1920 Los Angeles Times -

Hillcrest CC - Los Angeles, CA 1920

June 30, 1921 Los Angeles Times -

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:49:21 AM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 01:38:36 PM »
Sven,

Have you seen any record of Watson having worked on Town & Country Club in St. Paul?

Pat:

I have not seen anything that links Watson to T&C.

Sven

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 02:44:41 PM »
1921 - 1924

Colorado Springs GC - Denver, CO 1921

See the Sept. 27, 1927 Arizona Republic article on page 2 of this thread, which notes Watson rearranged the course in Colorado Springs that summer.

Ridgeview CC - Duluth, MN 1921

See the Sept. 10, 1920 Duluth Herald article posted below, which notes the name of the course was Ridgeway CC (the correct name is Ridgeview).

Oakland Links at Lake Chabot - Oakland, CA 1921

- Other sources have this as a Willie Locke design.  Watson did volunteer his design services and inspected the site, but by all accounts the design that was used was Locke's.

Beverly Terrace GC - Oakland, CA 1921

- I have no record of a course by this name, although its development was reported on as described below.

April 22, 1921 Morning Oregonian -

Roaring River GC - Roaring River, MO 1921

- I have no record of a course by this name or any course in Roaring River.

Sunset Canyon CC - Burbank, CA 1922

-See the Sept. 27, 1927 Arizona Republic on page two of this thread

Burlingame CC - Burlingame, CA 1922 (r & ex)

Dec. 25, 1921 Oregon Daily Journal -

Encinal G&CC - Alameda, CA 1922

-Course is credited to Willie Locke.

March 4, 1922 Chicago Evening American -

Stoughton CC - Stoughton, WI 1922

Coronado GC - Coronado, CA 1922

San Francisco Municipal Links, San Francisco, CA - 1922

- This is most likely a mistaken reference to Lincoln Park or Harding Park.

Rocky Mountain CC, Denver, CA - 1922

Lincoln Park - San Francisco, CA 1922 (r)

July 16, 1923 Oakland Tribune -

Las Turas Golf & Lake Club - Oxnard, CA 1923

Mt. Diablo CC - Oakland, CA 1923 (r & ex)

Oct. 23, 1924 Oakland Tribune -

Griffith Park #2 - Los Angeles, CA 1923

-I have serious reservations that Watson did any actual design work at Griffith Park.  When plans were in the works to expand to two 18 hole courses, Watson was consulted and early on was named as the architect that would take on the project.  Something happened prior to any actual work being done, and as we know Thomas and Bell were brought in to do the work.  Watson most likely deserves some credit of consulting on the project, but by all accounts the holes that went on the ground were not his.

Lake Arrowhead CC - Lake Arrowhead, CA 1923

- Aug. 23, 1925 Los Angeles Times notes course completed by Watson.

East Bay CC - Oakland, CA 1923

April 9, 1926 Berkeley Daily Gazette -

Clover Field Golf Course - Santa Monica, CA 1923

A/K/A Santa Monica Municipal GC, the course didn't open until 1928, and George Merritt is credited with the design.

Fort Washington G&CC - Fresno, CA 1923

July 28, 1923 Oakland Tribune -

Orange County CC - Santa Ana, CA 1923 (now Santa Ana CC)

- Watson's work here predated 1923.  See the May 4, 1919 Arizona Daily Republican article in the first post of this thread.

Olympic Club (Lake Course) - San Francisco, CA 1924

Olympic Club (Ocean Course) - San Francisco, CA 1924 (w/ Whiting)

Southern California Athletic and CC - Lake Elsinore, CA 1924

- Course is credited to John Duncan Dunn.

May 1923 Golf Illustrated -

Clear Lake Highlands - Clear Lake, CA 1924

Feb. 12, 1924 Van Nuys News -

Encino CC - Encino, CA 1924

Orinda CC - Orinda, CA 1924

Aug. 10, 1924 Oakland Tribune -

Westward Ho GC - Sawtelle, CA 1924

Lake Side GC - Toluca Lake, CA 1924

-This is a Max Behr course.  Watson was involved early on in the process, but the final product was Behr.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:45:38 AM by Sven Nilsen »

David Stamm

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 04:08:15 PM »
Just about all of these courses have been discovered to be WW's, the bulk of which by Tommy Nacarrato.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 05:13:04 PM »
1925 - 1931

San Jose CC - San Jose, CA 1925

Los Angeles Athletic Club - Santa Monica, CA 1925 (w/ B. Bell & G. Thomas)

Obviously this endeavor is better known as Riviera CC.  From the news reports, it appears that Watson was initially involved in the formative plans, but I have not seen anything that goes beyond that.

Jan. 24, 1926 Los Angeles Times -

Belvedere GC - Charlevoix, MI 1925

See the Sept. 27, 1927 Arizona Republic article on page 2 of this thread.

Minni-Monesse GC - Momence, IL 1925

April 27, 1926 Suburbanite Economist -

Multnomah GC - Portland, OR 1925

- Course is credited to Willie Lock.

Foothill Blvd Club - Oakland, CA 1925

-No evidence this course was actually built.

April 19, 1925 Oakland Tribune -

Harding Park - San Francisco, CA 1925

- Confirmed, but worth noting that the Jan. 1926 edition of Golf Illustrated noted the course was laid out by an architect named "Cummings."

Belmont CC - Los Angeles, CA 1926

Feb. 14, 1926 Los Angeles Times -

San Gorgonio CC - Beaumont, CA 1926 (9 hole)

Grass Valley Club - Lake Arrowhead, CA 1926 (9 hole)

-This is the same course as Lake Arrowhead noted above.

South Shore GC - Momence, IL 1927

Women's G&CC - Van Nuys, CA 1927

July 29, 1927 Van Nuys News -

Hotel Del Mar GC - Del Mar, CA 1927

- Feb. 12, 1927 Los Angeles Times notes Watson as architect.

Momence Links - Momence, IL 1928

- Same as South Shore?

Oak Knoll Golf Links - Oakland, CA 1928 (r)

March 12, 1928 Oakland Tribune-

Sonoma GC - Sonoma, CA 1928 (w/ Whiting)

Looking for evidence of Watson's involvement with Whiting.

-July 29, 1928 Oakland Tribune

El Sobrante GC - San Pablo, CA 1929

June 20, 1929 Berkeley Daily Gazette -

Charlevoix GC - Charlevoix, MI 1930 - 1931 (r)

See the Sept. 27, 1927 Arizona Republic article on page 2 of this thread, which suggest this work took place in or before 1927.

Paso Robles CC - Paso Robles, CA Pre-1920

Long Beach Club - Long Beach, CA Pre-1920 (r)

Pretty sure this is a reference to Virginia CC in Long Beach, which is noted earlier in the thread.

Clearlake GC - North San Francisco, CA Pre-1924

Feb. 12, 1924 Van Nuys News -

Pleasanton CC - San Jose, CA Pre-1924
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 03:36:16 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »
Just about all of these courses have been discovered to be WW's, the bulk of which by Tommy Nacarrato.

David:

This is simply an attempt to clean up the list included on the Belvedere website.  To use just one example, the inclusion of Moorland along with the Olympia Fields is a flat out mistake.

If you have any information on any of these courses confirming Watson's involvement, I'd appreciate seeing it.

Sven

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 08:05:59 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of California courses.  It would great to see a listing which shows which are NLE. 

I was surprised to see Watson included in design credit for Sonoma Golf Club, as I thought Sam Whiting had full credit.   

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 10:13:46 AM »
Here's an Aug. 18, 1913 Syracuse Herald article discussing some of Watson's recent work. 

The article covers work on the Frank Lowden Wellesley Island course, which I believe to be the Wellesley Island course referenced above.  It also notes improvements being made to the Thousand Islands CC course.

It is of interest to note Watson's travels to England and Scotland to inspect their celebrated courses.

Dan Moore

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 10:47:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure Watson designed today's 2nd and 3rd holes (what were then the 17th and 18th holes) at Flossmoor around 1911-1912.  He may even have done a complete modernization plan.

Was he known to do course routing plans?  If yes any examples of original drawings out there?
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jud_T

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 10:55:57 AM »
From Westmoreland's website:

The golf course has undergone many changes since the original design by William Watson in 1912. He supervised the construction along with the first Golf Professional and Superintendent, Joseph Roseman. Numerous changes were made to the course starting in 1920/1921 when Wiliam Langford and A. W. Tillinghast executed a redesign of the course. In 1963 work was begun on the ponds on #13, #15 and #17. The pond on #8 was added during the major renovation supervised by Arthur Hills in 1993. Many prominent professionals and amateurs have been tested by the course including Bobby Jones, Chick Evans, Frances Ouiment, Walter Hagan, Jock Hutchison and many others. We continue to enjoy a great test of golf which is true to the original routing developed by Mr. Watson.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 11:04:25 AM »
One more for the Watson list, this time Northland CC in 1920 (prior to Ross).

The article notes Ridgeview GC, which is listed above as Ridgeway.  Also of note is the work in Eau Claire, WI and the report that he laid out "some" in Florida.

Duluth Herald, Sept. 10, 1920

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 11:09:16 AM »
Regarding Wanakah, perhaps our UNY friends can tell us how closely the description below matches the current course.  This 1924 work was a remodel of the course he had previously worked on in 1919.

Buffalo Evening News, May 23, 1924

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back