News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

ANGC - A Retro Photo Tour
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:34:18 PM »
Course Maps and Aerial Photos

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:34:56 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

Re: ANGC - A Retro Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:51:56 PM »
Holes 1, 2 and 3

1st Hole

2nd Hole

3rd Hole

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:44:00 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »
Holes 4 and 5

4th Hole

5th Hole

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:01:57 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:10:39 PM »
Holes 6 and 7

6th Hole

7th Hole

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:49:43 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:20:10 PM »
Holes 8 and 9

8th Hole

9th Hole

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:13:07 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:28:45 PM »
Holes 10 and 11

10th Hole

11th Hole

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:37:54 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 09:38:34 PM »
Holes 12 and 13

12th Hole

13th Hole

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:32:53 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 09:46:07 PM »
Holes 14 and 15

14th Hole

15th Hole

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:10:48 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »
Holes 16, 17 and 18

16th Hole

17th Hole

18th Hole

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:00:43 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 08:16:15 PM »
Updated with a number of additional photos.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 09:20:30 PM »
Thank you for these photos. It is fascinating to see the evolution of ANGC over the years.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 09:55:03 AM »
Bumping this excellent historical photo comparison thread by Sven given what's coming up in a couple of weeks time.
Great photos.

atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
awesome thread

That picture of #8 with the crudely shapen pushup green is one I had never seen.
I have no idea when that would be from as the original (or so I thought) green was similar to the one the use today.

It almost looks like another course but the background fits
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jack Davis

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »
Incredible to see this evolution. Course started out so rugged and obviously went the other direction. For a course that led the architectural trends for so long, it's interesting to see most of the modern greats going for the complete opposite aesthetic, although with the founder's original intent of width, angles and options. I wonder what ANGC will look like in a few decades?
Jack Davis, PGA
Essex County Club

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 02:41:17 PM »
I have so many questions on these pics, wouldn't even know where to start....makes you wish Dr. MacK was around!

Muy excelente thread Sven....one of GCA's best!

Eric LeFante

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 06:30:37 PM »
awesome thread

That picture of #8 with the crudely shapen pushup green is one I had never seen.
I have no idea when that would be from as the original (or so I thought) green was similar to the one the use today.

I believe it was from the 1960/70s. The club did it because the original mounds blocked the spectator’s view. I’m sure someone here knows the details.

BCrosby

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »
Thanks Sven. Lots of work. I had forgotten how good this thread was.

Bob

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »
Beautiful, man!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 10:35:49 AM »
What an outstanding reference

Chris Roselle

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 11:05:30 AM »
Quite possibly my favorite thread on GCA...Fantastic work...

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 12:08:23 PM »
awesome thread

Jeff:

Somewhere in this thread you can find the evolution of the 8th.

Sven

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51383.0.html

Eric LeFante

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 12:34:15 PM »
awesome thread

Jeff:

Sven

Thanks Sven for pulling that thread up. Here is the section below: The mounding was gone from 1957-1980:

1934 - 500 yards - The hole played 60 feet uphill to a punchbowl style green (similar to the 17th at Muirfield) that MacKenzie his with 9 to 12 foot high hillocks.  At its narrowest point, the green was only 20 feet wide, with a 45-degree turn to the left.

1957 - 520 yards - Supposedly Roberts loved the green at the 8th (nicknamed Jane Russell due to the mounds), but deemed it appropriate and knocked down the hillocks for better spectator viewing.  The resulting figure-eight platform green had a vertical drop on all sides.  Bob Jones got angry at Roberts, telling him he was wrecking the course.  For the 1957 Masters, a sign near the green explained that the change was only temporary.

1958 - 530 yards - Cobb was called in after the '57 tournament to rebuild the green and recover the shape created by Mackenzie.  The result was a green flatter and wider than the original.  In place of the legendary mounds, Cobb built two ordinary bunkers because of Roberts' insistence on keeping clear sight lines for the patrons.  Cobb also filled in the old fairway cross bunker and created a new one farther out and to the right.

1980 - 530 yards - After Roberts died in 1977, the club asked Cobb to restore the green again.  When Cobb indicated he could not recall the original shape or contours, Byron Nelson stepped in with Joseph Finger to undertake the job.  He reestablished the punch-bowl green from memory and a few old photos, and even hand-raked the final contours.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
I see on one of the architectural drawings with a description next to it that there was to be a 19th hole.  It was going to be called double or quit?

Was such a hole built?  I know the par 3 course wasn't built until the 50's. 

Anyone have knowledge of this?  Or was it just a grandiose plan that didn't materialize?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kevin Neary

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 02:25:40 PM »
When was the 16th changed?

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »
awesome thread

Jeff:

Sven

Thanks Sven for pulling that thread up. Here is the section below: The mounding was gone from 1957-1980:

1958 - 530 yards - Cobb was called in after the '57 tournament to rebuild the green and recover the shape created by Mackenzie.  The result was a green flatter and wider than the original.  In place of the legendary mounds, Cobb built two ordinary bunkers because of Roberts' insistence on keeping clear sight lines for the patrons.  Cobb also filled in the old fairway cross bunker and created a new one farther out and to the right.

Thanks Sven,Eric.

That 1957 version was hideous...

I rememember the Cobb version of #8 from attending in the 70's and remember when they restored the green in 1980.

Cobb moving that bunker to the right in the fairway was a poor move as well-but then I can't think of too much he was involved in that wasn't pedestrian. The forerunner of Fazio :).

Cobb designed the third nine at Athens CC (1985ish) when I worked on the crew-and yes it was/is? quite pedestrian....

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back