News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Ekwanok - A Retro Photo Tour
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:23:36 PM »
Hole 6

June 1930 Golf Illustrated -

Hole 7

Oct. 1914 Golf Illustrated -

Feb. 1917 Golf Illustrated -

June 1917 Golf Illustrated -

June 1931 Golf Illustrated -

Hole 8

Sept. 1904 Golf Magazine -

July 1916 Golf Illustrated -

Hole 9

Sept. 1901 Golf Magazine -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

Re: Ekwanok - A Retro Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »

March 1902 Golf Magazine -

Holes 9 and 12

Hole 10

Nov. 1903 Golf Magazine -

Aug. 1910 Golf Magazine -

Holes 11 and 16

May 1904 Golf Magazine -

Hole 12

Sept. 1902 Golf Magazine -

Holes 15 and 18

Hole 16

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:34:47 PM »
General Photos

Circa 1900 -

Sept. 1900 Golf Magazine -

April 1901 Golf Magazine -

May 1904 Golf Magazine -

June 1922 Golf Illustrated -

March 1931 Golf Illustrated -

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:46:39 PM »
A plan of the course from 1914 and a number of panoramic photos from 1911.

Aug. 30, 1914 Daily Eagle (courtesy of Joe Bausch) -

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 03:48:58 PM »
Here are the panoramics in actual size for better viewing.

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 04:36:33 PM »
I've been on a bit of a Walter Travis kick over the past two years and even though John Duncan Dunn was primarily responsible for Ekwanok initially my understanding is that Travis continued the refinements pretty early on.

Ekwanok was definitely on my short list before but after seeing these pics all in one place there are few courses I'd rather play someday.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 09:09:59 PM »
I've been on a bit of a Walter Travis kick over the past two years and even though John Duncan Dunn was primarily responsible for Ekwanok initially my understanding is that Travis continued the refinements pretty early on.

Ekwanok was definitely on my short list before but after seeing these pics all in one place there are few courses I'd rather play someday.

If all goes well, I'll be fortunate enough to play Ekwanok this coming Monday.  Hope to add some pics of the modern day course to this cool thread afterwards. 

Jim Hoak

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 09:31:18 PM »
I remember, never having played the course, standing at the clubhouse and looking out on the course and thinking that it didn't look all that great.  But when I got on the course and experienced the nuances of the architecture, the joy and challenge of the routing and the natural beauty of the experience, I came away believing it was one of the best courses I had ever played.  I haven't been back after playing it 3-4 times on that trip, but I still rate it very high on my golf course experiences.

MCirba

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »
I remember, never having played the course, standing at the clubhouse and looking out on the course and thinking that it didn't look all that great.  But when I got on the course and experienced the nuances of the architecture, the joy and challenge of the routing and the natural beauty of the experience, I came away believing it was one of the best courses I had ever played.  I haven't been back after playing it 3-4 times on that trip, but I still rate it very high on my golf course experiences.

Jim,

A good friend of mine whose opinion I greatly respect told me, "it's the real deal."

That excites me a great deal.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:57:13 PM by MCirba »

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 07:44:07 AM »

Jim,

A good friend of mine whose opinion I greatly respect told me, "it's the real deal."

That excites me a great deal.

Mike-If you have time and can get out Dorset Field Club which is a few miles north of Ekwanok is worth checking out. The original 9 holes stood alone for almost 115 years until 9 more were added in 1999. The prize here is the original holes as the new holes don’t really fit with what was already in the ground.

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 08:55:32 AM »
Tim Martin,

Yep.  Booked for Sunday, thanks.   ;D

Paul Jones

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 12:25:45 PM »
Does anyone know the name of the painting behind the bar at Ekwanok of the 7th hole with the devils?  I thought it had a specific name (of the hole or the painting).
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back