News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Some updates are being made to French Creek GC.  And, yes, Gil Hanse is involved:
1.       The 4th hole’s approach area is being flattened out.  Today, balls hitting this area bound to the right down to French Creek, which was not the intent.   Details -  lift the sod in the approach area from the two front greenside bunkers into and around the green so that the approach can be lowered to better receive a shot and roll towards the green and not kick hard right towards the creek. In a perfect world we also look to “pad” out the green in a few areas to add additional hole locations on the green. As the vast majority of the green will not be disturbed the hole should be back in play in just a few weeks.

2.       The 14th green will be rebuilt.  Today’s green location was dictated by the original project manager, who wanted a wooded green site.  Obviously, greens in the woods don’t work, and over time the trees were removed, the green dried out, but the green was a tough target, with lost balls to the immediate left of the green.  It was obviously not the best green location, but the original project manager (who is long gone) insisted.   Gil is still working on the design, but it’s expected to move/expand the green to the right.

3.  (already completed) The 3rd green surrounds have changed.  The rough behind the green has been pushed back 5-10 feet.  Bentgrass sod has been laid down.   The grass before the green on the right-hand side and replace with another type of grass from which pitches are better played.    These little changes have made a big difference to the playability of the hole.

These improvements should be done by mid-October, and we’re all looking forward to seeing Gil work his magic on his own course.The goal is to have everything ready for play in the spring.

Photos courtesy of The Bausch Collection:  http://myphillygolf.com/gallery.asp
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:27:55 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Rory Connaughton

Very interested to see these modifications Dan.
Do the members support the modifications?

Joe Bausch

Happy to hear Gil is doing the work at FC and I'm anxious to see the updates!

Here is a link to a re-worked FC photo album, with hole diagrams, that the link above does not contain:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/FrenchCreekGC/index.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 04:58:47 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dan Herrmann

Very interested to see these modifications Dan.
Do the members support the modifications?

Absolutely, yes - very happy and supportive.

Of course, we're non-equity, so members' opinions fall behind our owner's opinion :)

(Yes, we have a new owner too.  He's been a member for > 10 years, is a Gil Hanse fanboy, and loves golf for golf's sake.  It's resulted in a great vibe out here, and we're all very happy).

Ed Brzezowski

Sounds like it needs a new course rating?   Love the work on 14, long overdue.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tim Fenchel

Thanks for sharing, Dan.

Every time I make that turn onto Route 345 I never know which way to crane my head.

Do I look to the right and enjoy the open vistas of French Creek...imagining how I would play the few holes in view...

or

Try to sneak a precious view into Stonewall through the perfectly placed landscaping...

Dan Herrmann

Tim - we sure do have 3 pretty darn good golf courses with a very small area up there.

PS - those 2 FC holes you can see from 345 are the two "Par 4 1/2 holes".  #13, the uphill hole to the south is an uphill beast with an amazing green surface.

PPS - I'm always happy to have GCA folks play.  Just IM me if you're interested.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:21:00 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back